Atlas – supporter from sky – 1/72 Phoenix vacform

Completed as J-9552 in the livery of No. 2 Squadron (army co-operation), somewhere in southern England early in its carrier, most likely sometime in winter 1931/1932. Judging so by the rudder stripes, which are still in the pre-1930 order. However, all things considered, the plane was from the 1928 contract, it was stored for some time, and I do not think anyone in the service would have cared too much about repainting the stripes unless the rudder needed to be replaced. Therefore, probably the airplane could have worn the same markings anytime in its service carrier, i.e. from 12/1931 to 06/1933.

The kit is quite a nice Phoenix vacform from the start of the 90´s, with white metal parts by Aeroclub. The main parts come from the kit, but many details were either scratchbuilt or taken from the spare part box. The build thread is here:

Brush painted with an assortment of enamel paints, roundels by Xtradecal, serial numbers from the kit, stencils from my spare decals. No matter how hard I tried, the rudder serial number did not fully blend with. I will have to survive. Altogether very enjoyable old-fashioned job, though I will be glad to take a break from vacform modelling for a while. As usual with me, no rigging.

20220706-DSC-0267.jpg

20220706-DSC-0269.jpg

20220706-DSC-0271.jpg

20220706-DSC-0274.jpg

20220706-DSC-0275.jpg

• Like 45

I think it is pretty obvious that (like absolutely everyone else I believe) I post my models here only for purely altruistic reasons and my own selfless pleasure, and at any time, especially on the record, I will categorically deny that I would be the slightest bit pleased to receive any praise from the audience.

But damn, it feels so good…😀

Thank you, guys!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

That looks very nice Patrik. I have one in the stash, could be on the build list for later this year. 

• Like 1

Thanks a lot again!

By the way, @Maginot, would you share with us the reason for adopting our second greatest national hero (right after Jaroslav Cimrman), the bravest of the brave, good soldier Švejk, as your avatar?

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 1

On 06/07/2022 at 19:02, Patrik said:

Completed as J-9552 in the livery of No. 2 Squadron (army co-operation), somewhere in southern England early in its carrier, most likely sometime in winter 1931/1932. Judging so by the rudder stripes, which are still in the pre-1930 order. However, all things considered, the plane was from the 1928 contract, it was stored for some time, and I do not think anyone in the service would have cared too much about repainting the stripes unless the rudder needed to be replaced. Therefore, probably the airplane could have worn the same markings anytime in its service carrier, i.e. from 12/1931 to 06/1933.

The kit is quite a nice Phoenix vacform from the start of the 90´s, with white metal parts by Aeroclub. The main parts come from the kit, but many details were either scratchbuilt or taken from the spare part box. The build thread is here:

Brush painted with an assortment of enamel paints, roundels by Xtradecal, serial numbers from the kit, stencils from my spare decals. No matter how hard I tried, the rudder serial number did not fully blend with. I will have to survive. Altogether very enjoyable old-fashioned job, though I will be glad to take a break from vacform modelling for a while. As usual with me, no rigging.

20220706-DSC-0267.jpg

20220706-DSC-0269.jpg

20220706-DSC-0271.jpg

20220706-DSC-0274.jpg

20220706-DSC-0275.jpg

Nicely done.

Alain