CT 133 Silver Star Mk3 RCAF late 1950's 1/72nd Italeri/Platz Finished

Mr T

For this Group build, I am going to build  a Canadian Silver Star using what looks like the very good Platz kit re-boxed by Italeri. The decals will come off the Belcher Bits sheet for the type, and I am leaning towards a 'silver' and red one as some of my other Canadian projects will be in the camouflage schemes  used in the 70s and 80s. I have the old Airwaves  T33 PE set for the Heller kit that will be used to dress up the ejector seats, but otherwise it will from the box.

52186588984_d24387ff0c_c_d.jpg

52198162718_8811b50f16_c_d.jpg

Hopefully the fuselage will together by the weekend.

• Like 6

A nice companion for my Heller one that is almost finished.  I didn't  know Italeri issued the Platz kit. Might have to hunt one down. 

Just don't  forget that the Canadian  ones had aft facing vents near the upper nose on both sides as opposed to the grilles and the aft outlet on the port side forward of the port tail planes too.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the heads up. I have an article from an old Air Enthusiast about the Silver Star, but is a bit vague about the changes when the Nenes were fitted. 

2 hours ago, Mr T said:

Thanks for the heads up. I have an article from an old Air Enthusiast about the Silver Star, but is a bit vague about the changes when the Nenes were fitted. 

If you take a look at my build on this gb you will see what I have done. 

I don't  think there  are many other external difference other than antenna maybe. 

• Thanks 1

Looked at your Silver Stat and very nice. Apparently there was a lot of variation in the shade of green, and yours looks great. More work done on mine last night, mainly around the cockpit, which is now finished and ready to go into the front fuselage. A few other bits stuck together. This kit goes together so well. A bit of a change from the Mach2 Argosy, at least it will fit in the work area!

52201413577_982d04ce74_c_d.jpg

52202440158_fd549188f0_c_d.jpg

• Like 7

For me, some very rapid progress on this kit. It does fit together remarkably well. By this morning, the  front and rear fuselage halves have been assembled and cleaned up. The intakes and lover wing has been added and not a lot of clean up is going to be required.  Silver Stars were powered by Nene engines and had an outlet on the port rear fuselage and two intake grills on the nose were replaced by scoops and a couple of small pieces of plastic strip have been added with some shaping to be done when everything is set hard. A nice rest from some more demanding kits that will have been across the workspace

recently. 

52206927140_834fc476b5_c_d.jpg

Please note that the rear fuselage is only a push fit at present.

• Like 4

Looking fine chap.  May I say that I think your aft fuselage vent looks a tad too far forward but it might be the angle of the photo. Otherwise its coming along nicely

• Thanks 1

For me, this is turning into a quick build. I have all the main airframe parts together and cleaned up. I have also painted the undercarriage etc. which will save time later on in the build. Since the photos were taken, the canopy has gone on, and was a pleasantly good fit. Not much is going to get done on Monday or Tuesday as we are in the 'step outside, and you will fry/melt/explode zone'. Still, Mrs T is away from Thursday pm to Monday evening and I plan on a modelling fest.

52220141844_eca306f902_c_d.jpg

52220141799_ea3b62b6bc_c_d.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

After adding the canopy and a bit of priming etc, I have started to put some paint on. The aircraft is going to be in the late 1950s silver and red scheme, before the introduction of dayglo (ugh! Hate painting the stuff.) The Canadian IPMS website has some interesting stuff on RCAF/CAF colours, although they don't always give paint matching. For the red  used at that time, they suggest a ModelMaster red that just happens to match some Revell paint I had in stock, No 31 Fiery Red if anyone is interested.

As usual with reds, needed a couple of airbrushed coats, but it looks OK to me. Next up will be masking for the Vallejo Metalcolor White Aluminium that is my usual choice of 'silver'. The top is#nside quarters of the wing tip tanks are black, and my plan is to use dome thin black decal pin strip to define the edges and then fill in with black. I do not want to be trying to touch up the red or  overpaint the black, if it can be avoided.

52237894608_ab7aa74d5d_c_d.jpg

• Like 8

As the CF104 build for another GB comes nearer to completion, I have been able to devote some time to the Silver Star. Today, it received a coat of Vallejo MetalColor White Aluminium. Amazing enough for me, the making of the red areas worked really well and only a couple of little spots needed attention. It is now awaiting a coat of gloss varnish and then decalling can commence. I am in danger of finishing two models in the same calendar month!

52248420252_e2be307f69_c_d.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the comment. A coat of varnish has gone on which has knocked some of shine off, but in 1/72nd I reckon that is no bad thing. 

Started on the decals. The upper quarters of the wing tip fuel tanks are black. I did not fancy masking and painting these, and so decided to use some fine pinstripes
I had bought from Fantasy Printshop a while ago. The ones used are 0.5mm wide and are thin with very little carrier film. They seem to have worked quite well, and I think even I can paint up to the line with few troubles. The anti glare panel on the nose came from the kit sheet. I have decided to portray an aircraft of 400 Sqn in about 1955-6.

52258646881_6e80f7192a_c_d.jpg

• Like 6

Decals are on, and I feel I am on the home straight (famous last words), Tonight going to start adding the undercarriage and look for any imperfections on the paint work. It is quite a colourful bird compared to most of my models.

52265134993_9981c43dfd_c_d.jpg

52265135063_6bbddefc0d_c_d.jpg

• Like 11

Thanks for your comment. Undercarriage on last night and a couple of other bits. I plan on doing bits of painting tonight and tomorrow . I aim to have it in the gallery by Friday. 

• 2 weeks later...

The hot spell put paid to any photos for a few days, but the Silver Star is finished and will go in the gallery later today.

• Mr T changed the title to CT 133 Silver Star Mk3 RCAF late 1950's 1/72nd Italeri/Platz Finished

Thanks, I have used pinstripe decals in the past when I don't want to have to touch up paintwork owing with a 'difficult' adjacent colour. I am pleased with the way the colour scheme worked out.