Curtiss P-40K, Kittyhawk III, RNZAF, Rendova, 1943. ( Fisken`s other Kittyhawk ),

Howdy

A while back, I was reading ( looking at the pictures ) in Osprey`s Tomahawk and Kittyhawk Aces book when I noticed something unusual about a picture of a P-40 on page 81.......

r7kVPZH.jpg

The camouflage colours seemed to be reversed ie the dark colour was where the light colour should have been. ( Desert scheme ?? )

0mvMk35.jpg

So after spending several hours on Google came up with nothing definite, so posted on BM to see if anyone else knew anything

aKztoep.jpg

Luckily for me, Allan Willoughby and Robert Hagger, posted me some information and interesting photo`s of Kittyhawks in a Grey and Green scheme. ( thanks very much to you both )

tbLb5om.jpg

So I thought I`d give it ago and managed to get hold of a Mauve 1/48 P-40M/Kittyhawk III kit.

F5loC1V.jpg

Did a bit of work to suggest a `K` version and some improvements to the kit along the way: filled the perforated plates behind the spinner, butchered the kit seat to look like a p-40 one and added the mounting frame from wire, seat belts, added the missing lower part of the instrument panel, corrected the scissor links on the U/C legs, brake pipes and added tie down loops,.........

KC4jEJ7.jpg

......gun barrels from metal tube, fuel dump pipe and that little spikey thing they have midway down the underside the fuselage, anti collision light, pylon for drop tank and that little plate on the fin leading edge where the aerial wire attatches.

g5GaMCE.jpg

Decals from Italeri kit, a Ventura sheet and the stash

we8Tztl.jpg

Apparently Geoff Fisken flew this aircraft on occasion instead of the Wairarapa Wildcat and gained 3 kills in it ( according to the book )

Hope you enjoy, thanks for looking

Hope I haven`t bored you 🙂, cheers Russ

• Like 50
  • Thanks 1

Yeh...i absolutely love that! A very fine build and finishing, and a unusual colour scheme too. I do like the NZ markings as they seem to have so many variations. The fuselage roundel especially is very strange with the tiny centre dot. Very cool 👍

• Thanks 1

On 06/07/2022 at 17:03, russ c said:

Howdy

A while back, I was reading ( looking at the pictures ) in Osprey`s Tomahawk and Kittyhawk Aces book when I noticed something unusual about a picture of a P-40 on page 81.......

r7kVPZH.jpg

The camouflage colours seemed to be reversed ie the dark colour was where the light colour should have been. ( Desert scheme ?? )

0mvMk35.jpg

So after spending several hours on Google came up with nothing definite, so posted on BM to see if anyone else knew anything

aKztoep.jpg

Luckily for me, Allan Willoughby and Robert Hagger, posted me some information and interesting photo`s of Kittyhawks in a Grey and Green scheme. ( thanks very much to you both )

tbLb5om.jpg

So I thought I`d give it ago and managed to get hold of a Mauve 1/48 P-40M/Kittyhawk III kit.

F5loC1V.jpg

Did a bit of work to suggest a `K` version and some improvements to the kit along the way: filled the perforated plates behind the spinner, butchered the kit seat to look like a p-40 one and added the mounting frame from wire, seat belts, added the missing lower part of the instrument panel, corrected the scissor links on the U/C legs, brake pipes and added tie down loops,.........

KC4jEJ7.jpg

......gun barrels from metal tube, fuel dump pipe and that little spikey thing they have midway down the underside the fuselage, anti collision light, pylon for drop tank and that little plate on the fin leading edge where the aerial wire attatches.

g5GaMCE.jpg

Decals from Italeri kit, a Ventura sheet and the stash

we8Tztl.jpg

Apparently Geoff Fisken flew this aircraft on occasion instead of the Wairarapa Wildcat and gained 3 kills in it ( according to the book )

Hope you enjoy, thanks for looking

Hope I haven`t bored you 🙂, cheers Russ

Very well done.

Alain