Pz.Sfl.Ia - 5cm pak 38 auf gp. mun.schlepper

And now for something completly different.....

I found this little kit from Das Werk in an online sale so i picked it up together with the Zvesda KV2. 

After spending hours planning, building and researching the RFM StuGIII i needed a bit of a breather.... something not to fancy so here she is.... i will call this one "my little tankie"

( Just because the full name sucks monkeyballs to type out everytime 🤣 )

Only 2 of them were build by Reihnmetal. The production process was slowed down so by the time the 2 prototypes were ready for field testing both the armor and the PAK38 gun were absolete so the project was abandoned.

There is no known history of battle deployement. 

8453283259_d14dce97f7_z 2jzg9SC SdHDcZR t95Ab0Z

The boxart of this kit looks nice and the box itself is realy sturdy. 

20220706_091206 20220706_091216

Only 4 sprues in the box!!!! After the StuG this looks like heaven to me! 😁

20220706_091256

This will be a fun little build. Since this was a prototype i think of doing it in a panzer grau. Keeping it simple and subtle. 

As always feel free to tag along, comment, shout, do whatever you want. I always enjoy the interaction with you guys! 

I'll keep you guys posted! 

Cheers!👍👍👍

• Like 4

So, this is pretty much a straight foweward build.

Nothing fancy. A little bit of flash on some bits. And some ejector pinmarks that needed to filled. 

20220707_144932

I needed to fill a hole on the front hatch because the carpetmonster ate a tiny hook that had to go there. Let's pretend the german factory worker forgot to put the hook in place.

20220707_144947 20220707_144936

I filled the ejector pinmarks with some vallejo putty. When dry i can sand it flat. 

After the StuG this is exactly the sort of build i needed. Just some straight foreward building without planning etc. 

I'll keep you guys posted.

Cheers! 👍👍👍

• Like 3

So, a little update from the workbench.

Today i finished the build. All went together without any mayor issues apart from some excess sprue and some minor fitting issues. 

In some small parts the fitting is poor and i had to drill out some fitting holes because they simply were to small. 

I had to do some work with the valejo putty to fix some holes and seamlines. 

20220709_205112 20220709_205120 20220709_205947

The inside looks detailed enough to make it interesting.

20220709_205128

On the upside: the gunbarrel was very smooth and straight. I had to drill out the hole on the muzzle because that was solid. 

Tomorow i'll trow on the last bits and bobs and then i'll start with the link and length tracks and the roadweels. 

So far this is a fun little build. Nothing too fancy or complicated. 

Cheers! 👍👍👍

• Like 5

So, apart from the tracks everything is in place. 

The way the weels were attached to the sprue was a bit of an issue.... right between the sprocket teeth.

image.jpg

They could have done a better job with that. However, the plastic is quite soft so there were no big issues with removing the excess sprue.

The seamlines and putty were sanded flush, looks good to me.

20220712-115606.jpg

I gave the model a few light coats of AK black primer. When dry i can check for flaws and then it's on to the paint stage.

20220712-115927.jpg

Cheers! 👍👍👍

• Like 3

On 06/07/2022 at 09:39, Maddoxx77 said:

And now for something completly different.....

I found this little kit from Das Werk in an online sale so i picked it up together with the Zvesda KV2. 

After spending hours planning, building and researching the RFM StuGIII i needed a bit of a breather.... something not to fancy so here she is.... i will call this one "my little tankie"

( Just because the full name sucks monkeyballs to type out everytime 🤣 )

Only 2 of them were build by Reihnmetal. The production process was slowed down so by the time the 2 prototypes were ready for field testing both the armor and the PAK38 gun were absolete so the project was abandoned.

There is no known history of battle deployement. 

8453283259_d14dce97f7_z 2jzg9SC SdHDcZR t95Ab0Z

The boxart of this kit looks nice and the box itself is realy sturdy. 

20220706_091206 20220706_091216

Only 4 sprues in the box!!!! After the StuG this looks like heaven to me! 😁

20220706_091256

This will be a fun little build. Since this was a prototype i think of doing it in a panzer grau. Keeping it simple and subtle. 

As always feel free to tag along, comment, shout, do whatever you want. I always enjoy the interaction with you guys! 

I'll keep you guys posted! 

Cheers!👍👍👍

I agree with MM-nice little model for on the side and useful references.
Have fun with it 🙂

• Thanks 1

So today i managed to get some basecolor on the model. Building it up in 12 layers, each layer a bit lighter. Some layers were mottled others even. I managed to get some highlights in altough they don't really show in the photo's. 

So far i'm happy. Next step will be semy gloss varnish and the decals. After that all the detail painting and i still have to work on the tracks.

20220716-174025.jpg

20220716-174001.jpg

20220716-173934.jpg

Tnx for stopping by. Much appriciated as always.

Cheers! 👍👍👍

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Looking very good Maddoxx and I like your 12 layers technique, a very interesting approach. 👍👏

Tnx, it's not a "standard" technique.... it's just that one color schemes are so flat so i tried this approach. And after 12 layers i was happy with the look. 

I think i can refine this technique in future builds. Maybe even with hairspray chipping.

Second reason i chose to do it like this is the fact that i used AK flat black primer. I thougt about doing white highlights before spraying the base layer but i decided this was the way to go. 

As with everything it's a learning experience.

• Like 1

And even in the smallest builds mistakes are made.....

After i put the basecolor on i decided to do things by the book. So before i start my weathering i gave the model a good layer of gloss varnish...... Then i started the weathering with a dark grey oil pinwash and low and behold..... it became a mess! Later i discovered why. I used an oil based varnish 🤣😵

So after some mildly agressive contemplating i decided the best thing i could do was to wash the build with thinners.....that was the sollution!

After i cleaned it up ( leaving some unexpected effects, lucky me 😉

I repeated the varnish step. This time with an acrylic semi gloss varnish from vallejo.

20220720-203629.jpg

20220720-213230.jpg

After the varnish was dry i decided to wait with the pinwash and do some detail painting first. So i put some base layers on the seats, did a first coat on the gun emplacement and highlighted the rivets. Even did some chipping effects in various grey tones to add depth to the sheet armour.  Did some touch ups here and there.....and then i dropped the model......😵😵😵😵😵

Minor damage to some roadweels that snapped of and a handlebar above the drivers compartement door broke of so that needs some fixing tomorow. 

20220720-222747.jpg

Still happy with the colors and the way the grey sheet armour looks. 

20220720-222816.jpg

20220720-222849.jpg

20220720-222806.jpg

Tomorow i'll be fixing the damage and work on the details a bit more. Maybe even start a pinwash.

Despite some minor issues i really enjoy this build. 

I'll keep you guys posted as always.

Cheers! 👍👍👍

• Like 4

Today i first started working on the tracks. Not my favourite part of the build. Lot's of excess sprue so a lot of cleanup to do.

20220722-141425.jpg

20220722-141445.jpg

I managed to clean them all and spray them with the black primer.

After the tracks i decided to make the model a bit more interesting. I've got a lot of spare parts from the StuG so i gathered some bits and fitted them on the model. 

I envisioned this model beeing used in some fieldtesting where the crew has put on some tools and boxes to make it more workable. 

Maybe it's not historicly accurate but i like it.

I also used a white grafite pencil to highlight all the sharp edges on the model creating more contrast.

20220722-160647.jpg

20220722-160703.jpg

20220722-160717.jpg

next time i will continue with the tracks and put them on the model. 

when the model is complete i'll continue with the details, painting and weathering. 

Cheers! 👍👍👍

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Ooof, those tracks.😬😀

Took me quite some time to get those cleaned up. 

So far i'm not a fan of link and length tracks. 

Workable tracklinks maybe a bit more work to assemble but the work itself is a lot easier 😉

• Like 1

Just for ease of painting workable tracks are much better. And I have a liking for their assembly. If I can't be bothered to paint or do anything else I will just make some up with the TV on. Like a sort of therapy.

• Like 1

I started the Munitionsschlepper a year or so ago, which i guess is the base model for this. So far it is the only model that has made it to the 'shelf of doom' since my return to the hobby. Not sure why i never finished it.....................🤔

Looking at it again the hatches on the boxes on the side definately need some attention! Think i was also a bit stuck for stuff to put in the back.

BF1Ibvv.jpg

George

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Geo1966 said:

I started the Munitionsschlepper a year or so ago, which i guess is the base model for this. So far it is the only model that has made it to the 'shelf of doom' since my return to the hobby. Not sure why i never finished it.....................🤔

Looking at it again the hatches on the boxes on the side definately need some attention! Think i was also a bit stuck for stuff to put in the back.

BF1Ibvv.jpg

George

Yup, same base. It's a nice little model tough. But it could use some extra interest indeed. 

I think there is a version with figures and a pak 40 fieldgun.

Not much to report. Did some detail painting on the tools and extra stowage box. The tracks prove to be a real pain in the a**!

I'll paint them up in segments and then i'll attach them to the model. 

20220726-124128.jpg

20220726-124145.jpg

20220726-124201.jpg

Apart from the tracks i'm really happy with how the model looks. The extra tools and the towingcable add interest to the model. 

Still a lot to do before i can call this one finished.

Cheers! 👍👍👍

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Maddoxx77 said:

i'm really happy with how the model looks.

Justifiably. Great build so far.👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The build is done and i posted it in the ready for inspection section.

Thank you guys for tagging along and providing me with all the tips and tricks. 

See you on the flipside👍😉

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 30/12/2022 at 20:50, robw_uk said:

Great work. This has given me some ideas for money, need to raid the spares box

Tnx Rob. So far your build is coming along reall nice! Somehow this kit invites to all sorts of "what if" builds.