A Spit IXc Question

Grizly

The soon to be released 1/24 Airfix Spit IXc kit includes the broad chord rudder as an option. I can find pictures of razor backĀ  XVIe Spits with it but no IXc Spits. Did they exist or were they simply produced in limited numbers?

I have a colour photo on file of a Mk IXe high back marked AU-E with clipped wings in the SMxxx serial number batch which has a pointed rudder. The last three digits of the sn have been over sprayed with grey presumably when removing the sky band and the spinner is black as per operations in on the Continent after 1st Jan I think.

TRF

• Like 1

The broad chord rudder was used on a large number of Mk.Ix, actually all those built after its introduction on the production line. Most of these however were IXe with different armament.

Even so, there were IXc with the broad rudder, several are shown in this thread:

Ā 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Jure Miljevic said:

Hello Grizly

Spitfire HF Mk.IX RR239, 93 Sqn, found on World war photos website:

Spitfire_HFIX_RR239_HN-Y_93_Sqn.jpg

Serials checks to the Spitfire production list on spitfire.ukf.net website. Unfortunately, it seems that this website is now defunct. Cheers

Jure

There is a production list updated here http://www.airhistory.org.uk/spitfire/home.html

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jure Miljevic said:

...the Spitfire production list on spitfire.ukf.net website. Unfortunately, it seems that this website is now defunct.

Ā 

No, it isn't, but it did change address some time ago:

http://www.airhistory.org.uk/spitfire/production.html

Ā 

The "pointy" rudder was a relatively late addition to Mk.IXs, so you probably won't find many with 'c' armament so fitted, if that's something you specifically want.

Ā 

Note: posted my reply before I read all the comments- I guess I needn't have done it!

Edited by gingerbob

What I find really interesting about that photo is that it appears to be carrying an RCAF maple leaf marking on the fuel tank cover. But this airframe does not appear to have served with a Canadian Squadron

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Steve in Ottawa said:

What I find really interesting about that photo is that it appears to be carrying an RCAF maple leaf marking on the fuel tank cover. But this airframe does not appear to have served with a Canadian Squadron

Ā 

May have had a Canadian pilot at some point during her service with 93 Sqn. ? I believe the picture posted was taken when the aircraft passed to the Italian Air Force, so after the end of the war. Interestingly the engine and propeller of this same aircraft ended on the G.59 prototype (although production G.59s used Mustang propellers)

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 1

Yes, that would be a good guess about a Canadian pilot using the maple leaf marking like that. It was intended to be a national identifier, and not so much for personal nose art. Still, that's as good a theory as any other at this point!

Ā 

1 hour ago, Steve in Ottawa said:

Yes, that would be a good guess about a Canadian pilot using the maple leaf marking like that. It was intended to be a national identifier, and not so much for personal nose art. Still, that's as good a theory as any other at this point!

Ā 

Ā 

At least one pilot - a certain Mr James Edgar 'Johnnie' Johnson - is known to have used the maple leaf as 'nose art'.Ā 

Hello

Thank you for information, gingerbob and M20gull. I am glad the webpage is still available, it is very informative.

In view of nationalities 93 Squadron was very diverse. Of six top scoring pilots (three aces) two belonged to RCAF and one to RAF, RNZAF, RAAF and SAAF. Cheers

Jure

• Like 1

Rudders were interchangeable: I've even seen a photo of a V with a pointed rudder!

Somewhere (most probably on this site) is a statement that they were mandatory for e wings.

10 hours ago, Denford said:

Rudders were interchangeable: I've even seen a photo of a V with a pointed rudder!

Somewhere (most probably on this site) is a statement that they were mandatory for e wings.

Now that Mk. V is something I'd like to see!

• Like 1

The picture is in the Squadron/Signal 'In Action' series #39 pp20.Ā  By now surely out of print.

For the record, it is Turkish.Ā  From port side, fuselage insignia reads OK-14, though that's not a very precise description: limited by available typefaces egĀ  '-' is in fact level with the bottom of the characters.

Though it can't be identified as such, it's a Vc according to the caption.

• Like 1