1/48 Monogram F-14A Tomcat Duel build, VX-4 ACEVAL/AIMVAL 1976 & VF-143 Puking Dogs 1981-82

Got permission from the GB Bossman to enter this GB with previously started kits that were forgotten on the "Shelf of Doom" These were started a few years back and as usual things get in the way. So here are some work in progress shots to get things started.

Respectfully,

JB

Kit cockpit on the Left, True Details on the right, Kit cockpit with some improvements. FYI I am not a "Super Rivet Counter" my philosophy is accurate enough to be relevant as to not detract from the fun of building.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The rail in the rear I think was a spare part from a Hasegawa build that used a Black Box set

spacer.png

A little detailing to the instrument shrouds

spacer.png

Intakes on the left original configuration, modified to help with fit on the right.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Wheel wells installed closed for in-flight mode.  Opened up intake where the engine fan blades go. How I do this coming on later installments

spacer.png

spacer.png

Wings be swinging

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

and this is where we are today. Thanks for looking, more to follow soon.

Respectfully,

JB

• Like 9

Got some progress on fixing the forward fuselage seams for both. Copious amounts of CA and wet sanding totally obliterating any panel line detail, but this can be corrected later. Also started getting the ordnance put together. Monogram provides a pretty standard AA configuration. VF-143 will be two AIM-54's, two AIM-9's, three AIM-7's. VX-4 will be ACMI Pod and 1 maybe two Captive AIM-9's. The Monogram ordnance is ok, but with a few tweaks can be made better. Here are some WIP.

spacer.png

AIM-9's need some ejector pin removal and fins slightly rounded mating bottom needs to be filed true for a better fit. Here are some before and after pics.

spacer.png

Drilling out ends of missile for rocket motor

spacer.png

Not too shabby, now repeat 3 times.

spacer.png

ACMI pod scratched built, All these are ready to be primed. The pod will be a redish orange color.

spacer.png

Edited by John Ballman
wasn't finished
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Trying something different to get the Intakes installed and made more seamless. I usually pour diluted white latex paint down intakes to coat the inner walls to get a seamless look. But, the issue with this Monogram kit is the construction has you install the engine faces against a flat bulkhead. This prevents the application of latex paint in the usual manner. So I removed the bulkhead to allow pour the latex paint without messing up the fan blades. You got to wiggle it a little bit but it gets to where it needs to be.

wSNbnlz.jpg

N7uCAgX.jpg

Intakes temporarily in place to check fit. Construction this way will also allow you to attack the seams along the forward fuselage that it covered by the intakes.

FQgJnZx.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Performed a Rhinoscopy on the AIM-54, the Monogram kit missiles are just too blunt, So I did some careful sanding to get it more pointed. Also installed styrene tubing to mimic the rocket motor end. As far as the fuselage are concerned, doing a lot of filling and sanding with CA. The seams on this kit are definitely a challenge to correct.

hK555xh.jpg

qMmy0Xv.jpg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, John Ballman said:

Performed a Rhinoscopy on the AIM-54, the Monogram kit missiles are just too blunt, So I did some careful sanding to get it more pointed. Also installed styrene tubing to mimic the rocket motor end. As far as the fuselage are concerned, doing a lot of filling and sanding with CA. The seams on this kit are definitely a challenge to correct.

hK555xh.jpg

qMmy0Xv.jpg

John , i hope no  rhinoceros were hert in the processes :)

11 hours ago, Mottlemaster said:

John , i hope no  rhinoceros were hert in the processes :)

None so far, I pretty much eyeballed the nose for awhile before I picked up the 180 grit sanding stick, so far I am 3 for 4. I still think they need to be more pointed, but it might end up messing up the length, which would be bad.

JB

Edited by John Ballman

1 hour ago, Alex Gordon said:

Nope,couldn't catch them.They were ahead by a nose...

Looking good so far John.

Thanks. I'm getting ready to start thrashing them into submission. The sand, rinse, filler, sand, rinse, filler is getting old.

JB

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Been busy getting Grandkids ready for first day at school festivities. A good time was had by all. Getting some progress on some of my least favorite jobs with this Hobby. Masking Canopies. I really hate it, but I have to say I have gotten better at it over the years. I found this tape by Mr Hobby: "Mr Masking Sheet Round & Triangle GT71:480 it is a very good time saver for me at least. My second most least favorite jobs with this Hobby. Polishing Canopies. I really hate, hate, hate it. I actually get worried and have to calm myself down before removing seam lines, scratches, and boogers from sprue gates on clear parts. But I have gotten better at it over the years. I lost count to how many I have destroyed and had to get replaced. Just ask my poor F-101B Voodoo, three canopies gave their lives for the cause. Fortunately, Monogram had a great customer service desk. Sadly that is not the case anymore. So when it comes to clear parts, I am an useful idiot.

Here is some of the polishing tools and masking tools I use on my workbench. My favorite liquid masker is called "FASMASK" by Parma International, RC Modelers turned me on to this stuff. I like the thickness of it and its ability to be pushed into tight areas.

The F-14 canopies in this kit are plagued by a terrible sprue gate attachment that is wide and needs careful surgery to remove. One of kits canopies broke off the sprue tree on its own, basically cracking the bottom edge, which required repair with CA. After careful sanding the offending trench was removed. I recommend a good Kentucky bourbon to reward yourself afterwards. 

spacer.png 

Here is the canopy that was cracked, where the middle frame is along the bottom edge where the sprue gate was designed by some other Idiot. The forward canopy had broken off as well but not as jacked up as the large one.

Both canopies were repaired, sanded and polished and then a dip in Johnson's Clear / Future Floor wax.

JEA2t9s.jpg

Here is the other canopy that was able to be removed from sprue without damage

spacer.png

Here is the Mr Hobby tape set, highly recommend this.

spacer.png

Tamiya tape cut into long thin strips that join from circle to circle, carefully go around, liquid masker will fill in the large areas later.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The forward windscreen requires more careful trimming, the circles and triangles have some limitations, but that is why we have sharp hobby knives.

gP54GNU.jpg

spacer.png

spacer.png

Now for some Kentucky rain water

Thank you for your comments and encouragement.

JB

Edited by John Ballman
  • Like 5

Got the ordnance selection into the spray booth today. If you are not using it, Tamiya Gloss or Flat White with Mr Color Leveling thinner is my paint of choice. The coverage is just outstanding. I painted the VF-143 pylons 36375 and p of the fuselage today as well. The Superscale instructions call out 36495 for the underside color is just too whiteish. Here is the ordnance with just two light coats.

sik01JT.jpg

Checking photo references I don't think that is correct, I am going with the 36375 undersides 36320 fuselage sides and tails, 35237 top of fuselage. I may tone down the 35237 as well, it seems a bit on the darkside. here are pictures from that cruise. VF-143 and VF-142 were both testing out the new Low Vis camo schemes during that cruise. VF-142 looks like it could be 36440 or 36495 overall and VF-143 has a combo TPS scheme. The markings on VF-143 could be 36495 or 37925 as well

The third picture is a very interesting picture because there is a UH-34 hovering in the background, maybe a plane guard from a UK Navy ship.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

What brand of masking Ive never seen white masking fluid before. 

I had this in the above post

My favorite liquid masker is called "FASMASK" by Parma International, RC Modelers turned me on to this stuff. I like the thickness of it and its ability to be pushed into tight areas.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, John Ballman said:

I had this in the above post

My favorite liquid masker is called "FASMASK" by Parma International, RC Modelers turned me on to this stuff. I like the thickness of it and its ability to be pushed into tight areas.

Ah so I see I should have re-read the earlier post. 

• 2 weeks later...

Been cleaning up the seams around the circumference of the fuselage. PITA. Started painting the fuselage undersides 36375 and 36320. Painted the tails 36320 and glossed for VF-143. VX-4 tails are 36320 and 35237 splinter scheme. Photos to follow.

Here are some work in progress shots of the ordnance for these two Tomcats

Ordnance loadout for VF-143 Bird

bz2iWT2.jpg

pN9n7aG.jpg

wsOYy7E.jpg

7tLAIGp.jpg

VX-4 Bird

PTZgmxk.jpg

• Like 2

Really hard to see a big difference between 36375 and 36320, when I lay the one over the other I can see it, so you're going to have to trust me. Started the decal process on the VF-143 tails.

VF-143 Bird

BI0Lf4W.jpg

Ta7NORy.jpg

CNlz78z.jpg

VX-4 Bird

ItSsqlL.jpg

6X4sws3.jpg

• Like 4