Seascape resin questions

TomTango

So..I am putting together a large (750 x 200) naval diorama and I'd like to use resin water. I've used resin before plenty of times but only ever for rivers or puddles/ponds, never anything on this scale before.

I am not even sure where to begin! The depth is 20mm, but that means 3 litres of resin (minus the volume of ship hulls, so maybe 2.5l ). I'd really like to keep the illusion of depth, but that much resin would set me back nearly £100...

Any ideas on how I can reduce this volume? would it be feasible to bulk out the middle of the waterscape with mdf? Any recommendations on pigment to dye the resin? Can I time my layers to get a blend between resin with different shades to further the illusion? Should I paint the base in a solid colour or add some gradients and "noise" to break up the deepest layer?

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated - this is probably going to be my biggest problem with the build, and the ships are causing me enough problems :D

I would lay down a thick base of grouting. Available in Poundland for £1 per tub. Fashion that and paint it in appropriate colours then use only a few thin layers of clear resin with some colouring, just a small amount, through it in patches

If you wait till the first layer of resin has just started to gel a second liquid layer will meld with the first

Colourants are available for the type of resin you'll use, which will probably be a Polyester resin

I get all my casting supplies from MBFg and here are the translucent pigments for polyester resin 

https://www.mbfg.co.uk/polyester-transparent.html

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

although I havent tried it, so I cant guarantee the final result, I am wondering wether a piece of glass as a sublayer on top of wich the resin will be applied might work.

Guess I give it a try myself.

Be Well!

I am thinking of trying this: 

https://www.craft-resin.co.uk/collections/craft-resin-ultimate-epoxy-resin/products/craft-resin-2l-kit-epoxy-resin

Has anyone got experience using this resin? It's VOC free and, so they claim, almost odourless. If it's any good then I don't mind paying a little bit more for the ease of use benefits.

On 16/07/2022 at 19:58, IGKOR said:

Hi,

although I havent tried it, so I cant guarantee the final result, I am wondering wether a piece of glass as a sublayer on top of wich the resin will be applied might work.

Often real-life water is quite opaque but If you really want some transparency I would be considering a sheet of clear perplex with a void underneath and a thin layer of liquitex on top.

TBH I’ve never actually done this but I would start there with a series of experiments.

Sold resin seems too heavy and too expensive for my liking.

just saying…🤔