Jean's microscopic F4B-4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your confidence @Old Man.

I am planning to finish it despite the fact that I am mostly away from home these days.

Just came back yesterday. I have masked the tail area of the kit, sprayed some white primer and brush painted some Humbrol 2, that makes a perfect Willow green.

On the photo below, two coats have already been applied. One more to go this evening and I will call the tail done.

I am sure there will be some touch ups, as the masking is smaller than small, but what a fun model through and trough!

F4B4 Photo 28

Hopefully I can remove all the diapers tomorrow.

Thanks for watching.

JR

• Like 6

More struggle with the painting of the tail: the green paint leaked under the masking tape... Well known chorus.

I ended up having to respray some grey over the tail. A masking nightmare. Then green touch ups.

I call it finished in order to avoid another disaster.

Next, paint all the leather trimmings in black, along with the tail wheel, etc.   Then clear varnish and the decals.

F4B4 Photo 29

This kit is trying to fight back... That's the spirit!

Have fun.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                JR                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

• Like 2

Hi everyone,

well, at long last, the little critter has found his wheels.

It has received as well a first coat of gloss. Decals are not far down the road.

F4B4 Photo 30

You can see on the wing the damage due to my clumsiness: another moment of fun expected, that I could have really done without. Oh well....

Have fun.

JR

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

On 01/11/2022 at 20:20, jean said:

I ended up having to respray some grey over the tail. A masking nightmare.

I know that airbrush is a must nowadays, but the green could have easily been painted with the hairy stick - it's a small area and glossy colour, you wouldn't see the difference. Your little Boeing begins to look great!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Toryu said:

I know that airbrush is a must nowadays, but the green could have easily been painted with the hairy stick - it's a small area and glossy colour, you wouldn't see the difference. Your little Boeing begins to look great!

Hi there,

I do not use an airbrush, only paint brushes, but for some reasons I decided to paint the grey with a Tamiya primer spray can... Hence the problem. Never again on small kits.

JR

4 minutes ago, jean said:

I decided to paint the grey with a Tamiya primer spray can

Ah, I see - it was the grey and not the green. The Tamiya grey primer is a bit rough. White is better, though, but doesn't help you here 🥴

Hail to a fellow brush painter!

• Haha 1

Hi everyone,

the work is still in progress...

Decals on fuselage and lower wings almost finished. Then mating the top wings will be fun... Can't wait.

Here is a photo showing the state of the build.

F4B4 Photo 31

Not sure if trimming the black border of the fuselage band's decal was a good idea... But I have burnt my bridges now.

I realized I goofed by spraying clear varnish on the silver wings: the silver shine turned into a gloss aluminium... Damn.

Respraying it is too risky, so it will stay as it is. I have made my peace.

Thanks for watching.

Have fun!

JR

• Like 4

Hi everyone,

well, once more I won't finish a GB model on time!

But I am not stressed: life had its own demands and I thoroughly enjoyed this build and this GB. Great people and great builds!

Anyway, this little Boeing should be finished before month end.

In the meantime, I am including some photos taken outside this afternoon, just before the heavens opened.

Photo without the top wing, showing progress to date, and then with the top wing installed without glue, just to get an idea of what the final result will be like (hopefully it will be better than that!).

F4B4 Photo 32

F4B4 Photo 33

F4B4 Photo 34

And of course the broken strut will haunt me till the finish!

The end of the build will appear in WIP.

As always, it has really been a fantastic GB .

Have a lot of fun!

JR.

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

This ones near finished JR, and looks terrific :like:

Did you find the runaway strutt ?

Cheers Pat 

Hi Pat,

thanks mate. And yes, the finish line is near. And yes again: the wayward strut in in shackle inside the kit's box.

Unfortunately, I am going away tomorrow for over a week, so modelling will have to wait a bit. Rather frustrating!

I have three models close to the finish, and all shall be finished before Christmas! That is my New Year resolution...

Cheers

JR

• Like 2

On 19/11/2022 at 17:30, jean said:

I have three models close to the finish, and all shall be finished before Christmas! That is my New Year resolution...

Cheers

JR

Are these the same 3 from last year ?:wicked:

Cheers Pat 

• Haha 2

On 11/23/2022 at 1:29 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Are these the same 3 from last year ?:wicked:

Cheers Pat 

Are you kidding me?

I am not that fast: these are the 3 from the year before that.

JR

• Haha 1