Jean's microscopic F4B-4

Hi everyone,

tonight I have glued the struts on the lower wings, and the top wing is simply positioned and will spent the night like this.

Tomorrow, tidying up the fuselage and lower wings with a few little thingies to scratch build along the way, and then primer.

The engine has been painted, along with the Townend ring. The exhaust stubs will be painted next, although one pinged into space while I was removing the flash. It is now officially MIA, and I will have to scratch a blasted, and bent replacement.

It is a real gem to build. If you find one, grab it.

A quick photo to show the progress:

F4B4 Photo 20

Have fun!

JR

• Like 9

Hi,

The propeller has been straightened in hot water and the decals applied on the blades.

I am not sure I like decals for blade tips' markings. These ones only need a little bit of tidying up, and I will call it a day for the prop.

I really messed up the painting of the Townend ring, so it is soaking in a jar with some brake fluid... It will be repainted tomorrow.

Anyway, here is a photo of the engine and prop.

F4B4 Photo 21

Thanks for watching, and have fun!

JR

• Like 9

Hi everyone,

modelling would not be such fun without the occasional frequent setback...

Yesterday evening I removed the Townend ring from the bath of brake fluid, and I was happy to see that the paint had peeled off. 

Then I decided to gently brush the remaining paint flakes with an old tooth brush.

And I got this:

F4B4 Photo 22

A long moment of solitude ensued...

Today I decided that I was not going to be dictated by three recalcitrant bits of plastic:

F4B4 Photo 23

I feel much better. There is still a gentle sanding needed.

Fun!

JR

Edited by jean
  • Like 7

38 minutes ago, jean said:

Today I decided that I was not going to be dictated by three recalcitrant bits of plastic:

Exactly! Don't let the plastic bits get the upper hand. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, jean said:

Hi everyone,

modelling would not be such fun without the occasional frequent setback...

Yesterday evening I removed the Townend ring from the bath of brake fluid, and I was happy to see that the paint had peeled off. 

Then I decided to gently brush the remaining paint flakes with an old tooth brush.

And I got this:

F4B4 Photo 22

A long moment of solitude ensued...

F4B4 Photo 23

I feel much better. There is still a gentle sanding needed.

Fun!

JR

“From hell's heart I stab at thee with my Swann-Morton” for hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee thy foul piece of plastic !”

Oh wait Im sorry I seemed to had a moment of Thespianism for a moment. Too many years at hacking of plastics. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

“From hell's heart I stab at thee with my Swann-Morton” for hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee thy foul piece of plastic !”

Oh wait Im sorry I seemed to had a moment of Thespianism for a moment. Too many years at hacking of plastics. 

Hi Dennis,

you got me worried for a moment. 

Great poetry though! I shall write these words in big RLM 02 letters above my work bench.

By the way, remind me the brand of the glue you are sniffing? It's got potential!

Have fun!

JR

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, jean said:

Hi Dennis,

you got me worried for a moment. 

Great poetry though! I shall write these words in big RLM 02 letters above my work bench.

By the way, remind me the brand of the glue you are sniffing? It's got potential!

Have fun!

JR

I cant take credit for it, Its a modified bit from Herman Melville's Moby dick. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I cant take credit for it, Its a modified bit from Herman Melville's Moby dick. 

I only read Moby Dick in French, and a long time ago.  So I would never have known. And I don't even know how to say Swan Morton in French!!!!

Cheers Dennis.

JR

• Like 1

Hi all,

I managed to grab a bit of bench time yesterday evening.

I moved onto the fuselage and lower wing, trying to finalize that part of the airframe. A few tiny bits and pieces I wanted to add:

a prominent section of tubing sticking out of the fuselage near the engine, the headrest which I had removed at the start of the build, and the plate and padding for the arrester hook, under the tail.

And there are quite a few little thingies like that to add.

Here is a photo to show these small adds-on.

F4B4 Photo 24

Just to make my night, I had decided to repaint the prop, no way near silver enough for me. So brake fluid treatment and light brushing: and bingo I broke one of the two blades... Rats! But nothing a few deep breaths and some Tamiya green top can't sort out.

Thanks for watching.

JR

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

On 9/23/2022 at 1:45 PM, Toryu said:

You're "breaking" every record!

Hi Toryu,

you can say that all over again! There are times when Clumsy feels like my middle name! But it is only a phase.

The broken prop has indeed been glued, fully sand papered and ready for white primer and silver.

The small details on the airframe will be finished tomorrow as well, and then primer everywhere.

Then I have to go away for eight days... Damn!

I am looking forward to the painting, as it will really a riot of colors!!!

Have fun, all of you!

JR.

• Like 1

Jean, your F4B-4 is looking great and I had to check the scale several times - thought it was 1/48 but its 1/72 and tiny as you say. Not a gluey fingerprint or smudge in sight. Excellent painting. Looking forward to the finish and a fly round the workbench!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2022 at 2:16 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Terrific job JR

Especially that yellow wing

Look forward to seeing the next installment. 

Cheers Pat 

Hi Pat,

I have just returned from 10 days in stinking hot Kariba.

So the Boeing's build should resume in a day or so.

I have actually missed working on this lovely kit.

Cheers mate.

JR

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

at long last I can resume work on the F4B-4.

I am scratching the last item before I can start painting the model.

I am dealing with the fuel/water drain on the underbelly tank.

I decided to start from a thick section of stretched sprue and sand it down to the right thickness.

F4B4 Photo 25

Once filed, I will fit a drain  and then on to the paint shop.

I realized that the light grey can be spray painted using the Tamiya grey primer. I think the color will be just right.

This will be started tomorrow.

Thanks for watching.

JR.

• Like 8

Hi everyone,

the drain is done and just need tidying up when the glue is dry. I couldn't help myself and I added a couple of thin pipes sticking out of various areas...

F4B4 Photo 26

Now I swear that I only have the arrester hook to scratch build... and a couple of aerials.. and...

So next stop is grey primer and silver paint on the lower wing.

Cheers

JR

Edited by jean
  • Like 8

Life can be frustrating.

The other day, I cleaned the model with methylated spirit prior to spraying the grey primer. When I put the model down, I saw that I had broken one of the wing handles that I had scratched.

I did not teach the model how to fly, as I thought I was going to, but instead put it carefully away and forgot about it!

In the meantime I have focused on the Tiger Moth until now. 

Today I went back to the Boeing, fixed the handle, inspected everything again and finally sprayed the primer.

As I suspected, the color is a perfect match for the USN light grey of the thirties, at least in my eyes. So I am happy, and nothing has been broken.

F4B4 Photo 27

Next are the wings to paint silver, then mask the airframe to prime the tail area white before painting it willow green.

If I get that far before the end of the weekend, I will be happy.

Have fun.

JR

• Like 7

Hi everyone,

the last 24 hours have been testing my equanimity, but I tell myself that modelling is cheaper than going and spend 2 months in a Tibetan monastery to try and achieve the same state of mental enhancement.

First I brush painted the wings with Chrome from Gunze. The result was horrid, for unknown reason: grainy and yeuk! Sanding and micromesh to a reasonable result.

I then decided to spray the wings with the last of my Tamiya bare metal silver. I miscalculated on what paint was left in the can. All I got was a thick spittle with the result you can imagine.

Undeterred, I cleaned the mess up and realized that all I had left, really, was Gloss aluminium. Far from perfect, but it would have to do.

The paint looked good, but I decided to try and buff it with some cotton wool. It actually showed an improvement... until Clumsy me broke the starboard struts...

So, many "Um mani padme um" later, I decided that the least dangerous course of action would be to glue the broken strut on the top wing and try to hide the break on the bottom wing as best as possible.

So despite this one step forward-two steps backward modelling, this kit will be finished. Deep breath.

Have fun!

JR

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Hi all,

after the paint and breakage disasters, I managed to get back to my usual positive outlook on life.

So work on the F4B-4 has carried on as if (almost) nothing untoward had happened: painting the wheels, etc.

Then, as if I needed it, I was proven once more that the universe has a wicked sense of humor: I opened a drawer, and there, staring at me was a brand new spray can of Tamiya Silver leaf... The perfect paint for the silver wings... 

Note to self: be more organized in the future!

Nothing nasty would have happened had I known what I have in stock! Lesson learned.

Anyway, wings sprayed with silver leaf. They look lovely!

Have fun.

JR

• Like 3