Canadair CC-144 Challenger

Jabba

For this GB I will be using the BPK kit to make a Challenger that was staioned in the Gulf during Op Friction (Op D Storm to most people). I have never built a kit by this company, so I am looking forward to the task.

The box.

Ocph8F9.jpg

The kit.

SApKuV3.jpg

Instructions, Decals and masks (I think).

DXfAohJ.jpg

• Like 9

Nice choice. I've never built a BPK kit either but I'm interested in a few of them so will be following along. The sprues look a lot like other Ukrainian kits I've come across recently, which from my experience isn't a bad thing - it probably means a bit of cleaning up of parts and careful assembly but a kit that will go together pretty well.

I've done one of these to 144 just like yours.  The instructions are not exactly clear on various areas. The window masking set is very helpful but being as they are very small great care in positioning the cabin windows will help.  This goes for the decalling too. You will need to use a bit of detective work to sort them out. I ignored all the tiny etch and cockpit interior decals too.  Other wise a very nice kit.

Definitely lives up to the types name!!

Thanks all.

3 hours ago, Paul J said:

I've done one of these to 144 just like yours.  The instructions are not exactly clear on various areas. The window masking set is very helpful but being as they are very small great care in positioning the cabin windows will help.  This goes for the decalling too. You will need to use a bit of detective work to sort them out. I ignored all the tiny etch and cockpit interior decals too.  Other wise a very nice kit.

Definitely lives up to the types name!!

Thanks very much for the advice. Yes I have had a look at the decals already trying to see if I can build the aircraft that I want to, which I can and they are a bit of a minefield but not as much as the stencils on a DXM Japanese Phantom decal sheet (which I have done twice in the past year).

• 2 weeks later...

A small update on my work so far. I have built up and added the cockpit to one fuselage half. Some weight now to be added before I fit the other half. I have also built up the engines. These will require some filler and a sand down.

LeZmZeq.jpg

kgN22L6.jpg

wYlg1L2.jpg

• Like 8

Another tip.  Be careful when applying the cabin  window masks.    The main cockpit ones are fine but the others will need locating correctly.

On 14/07/2022 at 20:00, Paul J said:

Another tip.  Be careful when applying the cabin  window masks.    The main cockpit ones are fine but the others will need locating correctly.

Thanks for that I do have a question concerning the tailplane. The instructions say to cut this in 2, but is this required as I think that it can be fitted without doing so or is there an actual reason for  it?

• Like 1

I don't  recall having to do that with mine. Best thing I suggest you do is do a dry run without cutting. But I think the instruction is referring to the alternative fin top. Not sure.

Looking good. I've just finished the similar CRJ-700, It was really difficult to see if I had successfully eliminated the fuselage seam until I got some primer on it.  I hadn't, it took another couple of rounds of filling and sanding! I was pleased with the masks though, they worked very well., the cockpit ones particularly. The individual windows were very fiddly to line up though.

Cheers

John

On 17/07/2022 at 19:19, Viking said:

Looking good. I've just finished the similar CRJ-700, It was really difficult to see if I had successfully eliminated the fuselage seam until I got some primer on it.  I hadn't, it took another couple of rounds of filling and sanding! I was pleased with the masks though, they worked very well., the cockpit ones particularly. The individual windows were very fiddly to line up though.

Cheers

John

Sanding the fuselage is one part of this build that I am not looking forward to at the moment, especially around the cockpit glazing.

Anyhow, I have now got the fuselage together, after testing with all parts taped together to see if it was going to be a ail sitter. So far to verdict is no, but I will be leaving the under wing part off until after I have fitted the tail and engines if I do require extra weight. I have also painted the fuselage part of the lower wing black, as I will be painting the fuselage that colour before I do the final colours anddid not want to see Grey through the fuselage windows. I have also amde up the tailplane.

Sfs5cdb.jpg

Lx1Yo5n.jpg

q9KZUFF.jpg

• Like 6

Progressing well. Looks really weird with the clear fuselage though. Also kind of reminds me of one of those translucent deep sea fish whose insides can be seen through their skin!

A small update on my progress. Wings and nose cone have been added, just the winglets to go now. A bit of filler put on, but nothing serious. The one worrying bit of sanding that I am not ahppy about is the joint between the windscreens. Does anyone have any advise?

ibJIfmO.jpg

PzyH5X6.jpg

IQWGm5H.jpg

V8gOizw.jpg

• Like 8

Nice progress Jabba, I would lay tape over the windscreen panels either side of the seam and sand lightly replacing the tape if it starts to wear through.

It has worked for me previously. If you do manage to mark the panels then sand and polish with finer grades of sandpaper and gloss coat (use Future if you have any) to restore the clarity

Thanks @Romeo Alpha Yankee, that is what I have tried and hopefully with some success. Another small update in that I have fitted all the flap attachmant thingies under the wings, but forgot to photograph and the window masks. I am not sure if I have the fuselage ones in their exact places having gone by the painting plan for where they went, but they look close enough for government work. I still have the wing tips to sand down but I can do this and then paint the fuselage black so that this colour is seen though the small windows rather than the actual fuselage colour.

kPTuhSn.jpg

JcFSGdw.jpg

• Like 7

it's coming along nicely, amazing how difficult it is so smooth the seams on the fuselage because you cant see them properly until the primer goes on. It is looking very good now, can't ait to see it finished.

Pictures loading extremely slow.   Are you using raw images directly from your digital camera?   300 dpi and almost 60 mb size files is just overkill, and does nothing really for viewing online.    

On 27/08/2022 at 20:32, JackG said:

Pictures loading extremely slow.   Are you using raw images directly from your digital camera?   300 dpi and almost 60 mb size files is just overkill, and does nothing really for viewing online.    

Sorry about my rubbish photos, but being a techno phobe getting any picture on here is a miracle for me as I do not know at all what I am really doing.

Rant over and here is a small update. The rest of the decals have been applied and a coat of matt varnish too.

I do have a question about the leading edges of the wings, fin and tailplanes. Are they meant to be natural metal or grey like I have here? In some photos that I seen they do look natural metal, but in others they seem to look like I have it on the model. The kit instructions do not say anything and point to how I have already painted the model. Any help will be gratefully received.

4YFyhQ7.jpg

4fjHwgR.jpg

ITK6L9j.jpg

• Like 7