My 1/24 Spit IXc beside My 1/24 Typhoon

And, no, I don't have an advanced copy of the soon to be released Airfix 1/24 Spit IXc. I do, however, have one on pre-order. Years ago, I converted the Airfix Mk.1a and thought you might be interested in seeing what the new kit will look like  beside their Typhoon. The pilot figure is that offered by Imrie Risleyspacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 59
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, keith in the uk said:

was this scratch built or did you use a conversion set ?

An Airfix magazine annual in the late 1970s did a Mk.IX conversion,  using the two stage Merlin engine from the 1/24th Mustang which I suspect maybe part of the source here.

Very neat work @Grizly, be great to see some close up shows of the engine and details of the conversion.

:goodjob:

• Like 1

Keith/Troy,

No conversion sets were used in my conversion back in the early '90s. I instead used parts from a second Spitfire kit and the Hurricane, Mustang, Stuka and Tamiya Hummer kits plus the Waldron cockpit set and a bunch of scratch building. The conversion was a two part feature in the Nov & Dec 1996 issues of Scale Models International. While I still have the model, I'm looking forward to having the new Airfix kit join the display perhaps as KH*B, an aircraft that Beurling flew while with 403 Squadron.

Shots of the aircraft and engine...

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Very nice.

I used the Waldron set in my Mk.1a, great shame they are no longer available. But (optimistically) I'm looking forward to the AM goodies that will follow the new Mk.IXc.

Might we have a cockpit shot?

Cheers,

Unfortunately, the Spitfire cockpit isn't camera friendly. I tried and this is as good as it gets. The parachute in the seat was a copy based on that provided with the Series 77 RAF pilot figure.

spacer.png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Grizly said:

Unfortunately, the Spitfire cockpit isn't camera friendly. I tried and this is as good as it gets.

From what I can see the cockpit looks as good as the rest of your Spit. As Chris says, 'awesome work'. Thanks for posting.