Always keep your bowler on in time of stress - Sword 1/72 Avenger/Tarpon Mk.I

I feel the need for another FAA aircraft.

The last two Sword kits I.ve done have been great fun so I expect big things of this one.

48w8FZr.jpg

0f2J1pF.jpg

vl5lsxj.jpg

4vLjaf1.jpg

JspYQSC.jpg

57xjTz5.jpg

jVrUjh9.jpg

x3jlOeq.jpg

I hope to get a start on this soon. Work permitting.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 15

I also have the AS.3/4/6 kit, and the 'Guppy' kit, so I will watch this build with considerable interest, especially as I want to buy this Tarpon version also.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oooooooo an Avenger and in front row too.

Really looking forward to this , I have the AS3,4,6 kit and will watch with much interest. 

Enjoyed my sword kits too.

Chris

Nice to have you along for the ride Chris,

I'll get started eventually.

22 minutes ago, Learstang said:

I also have the AS.3/4/6 kit, and the 'Guppy' kit, so I will watch this build with considerable interest, especially as I want to buy this Tarpon version also.

Regards,

Jason

Glad to welcome you aboard Jason.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

Hey, one of you guys move yer butt over a bit so an old man can get a seat at the front! My eyes ain't what they once was.

Chris

I'll make sure they make room for you Chris.:lol:

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

Looking forward to this! 

Regards,

Adrian

Me too Adrian, me too.

1 hour ago, Neil Lambess said:

....Mrs Peel .....we're needed !

I knew somebody would get there. :D

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Alistair,

Niiice, I still have fond memories of my 1:48 shelf-sitter - will look forward to see what you can make of this. Do Sword allow for the Observer position? Hobby Boss did not...

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 3

Hooray more FAA. I was very tempted to grab one of these the other day, but having not heard of the kit before, and having an academy version for just this conversion in the stash, I left it on the shelf.

Don't envy you the canopy mask job!

Andy

• Like 2

17 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I'll be along for this too, a kit I've being meaning to get for a bit now, this might just be the spur I need. :)

Steve.

Welcome aboard Steve,

Nice to have you here.

16 hours ago, Dunny said:

Alistair,

Niiice, I still have fond memories of my 1:48 shelf-sitter - will look forward to see what you can make of this. Do Sword allow for the Observer position? Hobby Boss did not...

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger,

The Observers position is there. So that's good.

11 hours ago, Ngantek said:

Hooray more FAA. I was very tempted to grab one of these the other day, but having not heard of the kit before, and having an academy version for just this conversion in the stash, I left it on the shelf.

Don't envy you the canopy mask job!

Andy

Thanks Andy,

I have a cunning plan for the canopy.

It's an Eduard mask set that is in the accessories box.

Yup, I'm cheating but I wasn't doing that many windows manually.

10 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Lovely. I have the italeri avenger. I’ll tag along here if I may. 

Good luck, seems like a fine kit.

Johnny

Thanks Johnny,

Grab a comfy chair.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ali, there's a mask specifically for this kit from Peewit. https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/PEE72273?result-token=5W0iS

I built the Hasegawa Avenger a couple of years ago and finished it as a Suez aircraft. Even with the mask it took forever, but it did mean the turret was quite straightforward. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 825 said:

Ali, there's a mask specifically for this kit from Peewit. https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/PEE72273?result-token=5W0iS

I built the Hasegawa Avenger a couple of years ago and finished it as a Suez aircraft. Even with the mask it took forever, but it did mean the turret was quite straightforward. 

Thanks for that, says he as he scuttles of to check his mask set and lo and behold I am a complete idiot.

I have the Peewit set not Eduard. :blush:

I'm putting it down to sleep deprivation. :whistle:

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

Well, he's finally got on with things.

About time too.

Lazy So and So.

Plastic was cut yesterday, primer and ColourCoats Zinc Chromate Green delicately wafted around the bits and then after some light detail painting, glue was liberally applied.

No pictures of any of that nonsense as the PC was playing up after Microsoft's Patch Tuesday reboot or three.

But today we have some pics.

m4axAOq.jpg

xndjoOW.jpg

WWFOYJ6.jpg

cEas0AT.jpg

There are one or two touchups and a wash needed but otherwise I'm ok with the progress.

The engine was painted Nato Black, drybrushed with Steel and then given a Seraphim Sepia wash to be sort of oily.

7js5DBx.jpg

I'm currently awaiting Krystal Clear drying in the dials and I'll put some harnesses on then I'll make a start on the tail wheel assembly and the underside Gun.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 12

Ooooooooh! Another one to watch...

Yet another on my to-do list - they flew Avengers / Tarpons from Crail / HMS Jackdaw near where I grew up in Fife.

Good start Alistair - as always. 👍

Q

:dunce:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Quack said:

Ooooooooh! Another one to watch...

Yet another on my to-do list - they flew Avengers / Tarpons from Crail / HMS Jackdaw near where I grew up in Fife.

Good start Alistair - as always. 👍

Q

:dunce:

Thanks Q, 

Welcome aboard.

24 minutes ago, Learstang said:

Well, Alistair, now that you've finally started, you're not arf hangin' about, are you!

Regards,

Jason

Thanks Jason,

Finally got some time off work.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

Isn't it a shame, work (life, children, wife, etc.), getting in the way of our model-making? Not to be allowed! Luckily, I work from home as a freelance author, I don't have a wife, and no children. Which doesn't explain why it still takes me forever to finish a model, though*. Guess I'll have to chalk that one up to bone-idleness.

Regards,

Jason

*I still haven't finished my Shackleton, which I started before you started and finished your Shackleton.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Learstang said:

Isn't it a shame, work (life, children, wife, etc.), getting in the way of our model-making? Not to be allowed! Luckily, I work from home as a freelance author, I don't have a wife, and no children. Which doesn't explain why it still takes me forever to finish a model, though*. Guess I'll have to chalk that one up to bone-idleness.

Regards,

Jason

*I still haven't finished my Shackleton, which I started before you started and finished your Shackleton.

Not bone-idleness, more head down in research and writing I would suggest. :wicked:

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 3

In a way, you're correct. All the time I should have been working on my Shackletons (yes, plural!), I was writing a book about the old girl!

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 4

On 7/6/2022 at 7:19 PM, 825 said:

Specific masks for the airframe? Such laziness must be punished. Start with A4 cartridge paper, and Gloy... 

• Haha 7