Which kit? F-16A in 1/48

Robert Stuart

Hello
I hope to build an F-16A in Portuguese colours for the proposed NATO GB.

My proposed scheme was photographed in 2009, before that squadron's aircraft were upgraded to MLU status (in 2010).

Guessing, I want an F-16A block 15 (please correct me here)?

Which kit (or kits) would best suit my build?

TIA

• Like 1

Portugal has two groups of Block 15 F-16As.  One purchase was new build airframes that are close to the ADF variant with the ID light in the side of the nose, Sparrow capability and the distinctive ADF vertical tail, but no bird slicers. The second group were a transfer of used Block 15 USAF F-16A/Bs.

https://www.f-16.net/f-16_users_article16.html

I don't think anyone makes a good ADF out of the box. Revell has one, but most people just scavenge the tail for use on a Hasegawa or Tamiya kit. 

For a standard Block 15 you have really have 4 choices.  There are more F-16 kits, but these are considered the best.

1. Hasegawa has had several F-16A Block 15 releases over the years. I think it's still a decent kit, if a little lacking on detail compared to modern kits.  You can still find their basic "F-16A Plus" kit relatively cheaply on e-bay from time to time.
  2. Tamiya+conversion. Tamiya is currently the "best" 1/48 F-16, but they only make "C" models. Conversions for "A"s are available but add to the cost.
  3. Very distant 3rd place, Kinetic out of the box (maybe, I don't really know).  I consider Kinetic's F-16 garbage due to the misshapen nose and generally poor fit.  Personally I've never wasted my money on one, but have read enough build articles to never want one.
  4. Wait - Kinetic and Minibase(?) announced new tool F-16MLU kits last month, it should be possible to backdate one of them.

I'm currently working on a Hasegawa F-16A in Indonesian colors with an Aires wheel well and Quinta cockpit decals.

I can't recommend the Aires wheel well. I did my research and reviews indicated the main wheel well was a drop fit or even oversized. Not in my case. I've bought 2 sets and the main wheel well from either was seriously undersized by several millimeters in all dimensions.  I had to build up all four sides to even mount it.

I got a Quinta set for the cockpit (my first time with 3D decals). For some reason they don't make a A set, so I bought their set for a B kit and am just using the front cockpit.  It's a little oversized for the Hasegawa parts, so trimming was necessary, and the gray they use is way too light for FS36231. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Steve McArthur said:

Hasegawa has had several F-16A Block 15 releases over the years. I think it's still a decent kit, if a little lacking on detail compared to modern kits.  You can still find their basic "F-16A Plus" kit relatively cheaply on e-bay from time to time.

Thanks Steve.
I'll keep an eye on e-bay, see if there is an affordable Hasegawa F-16A Plus.  (Wonder what they mean by 'Plus', haven't seen that on F-16-As elsewhere.)
I'll also look out for reviews of the new/future Kinetic kit, though that would need backdating... not sure I want to do that.

@Boman, that tail looks good, very like the photos of (RL) F-16As that I've seen.
OT: Their 'chutes look dramatic too, wonder what the clean-up is like?

• Like 1

@Robert Stuart I think I figured out the "Plus".  It looks like Hasegawa changed their basic F-16A #06101 a couple times without changing the kit number. The later releases got the "Plus" on the box. A couple of the changes were the Plus releases got tinted and clear canopies and the centerline tank wasn't in the original release. There were also changes to the gun fairing, ESC vent and ammo door to make these swappable between A & C kits. https://modelingmadness.com/splfeat/kr/has48d.htm

If you can't find a Hasegawa kit another option may be the Academy kit.  Academy's F-16 kind of gets dismissed as a Hasegawa knock-off, but it has A and C tails in the box.  Reviews seem to put it a notch below Hasegawa due to panel lines being a little inconsistent and heavier, but overall it has about the same level of detail. I've never built it, or even seen one, but on the sprues it looks a lot like a Hasegawa kit and ones I've seen built look pretty good. Aftermarket for the Hasegawa might fit it, but I don't really know. The one thing it has going for it is that it should be easier to find than a Hasegawa and you can do a F-16A or early C out of the box.

Edited by Steve McArthur
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Steve McArthur said:

I think I figured out the "Plus".  It looks like Hasegawa changed their basic F-16A #06101 a couple times without changing the kit number.

Thanks Steve, that is very helpful - no idea how anybody found the time and resource to put those tables together, impressive.

Think there is plenty of time to find a kit - the NATO anniversary (and Group Build) is due in 2024.

I am, of course, making a massive assumption that the GB will go ahead.

5 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

OT: Their 'chutes look dramatic too, wonder what the clean-up is like?

Straight forward and simple to remove the "casting point" from the tail. The only thing missing is the parachute pack, but if you have a late model F-16 from hasegawa you should be able to source one from that kit. 

The "Plus" came from the time when the block 15 F-16A/B were introduced, whereby they used the "plus" to differenciate the block 15's who had larger tailplanes from the earlier block 1/5/10 who had the smaller tailplanes. 

Today the plus-designation is gone, not atleast due to the fact that many block 1/5/10's were retrofitted with the biger vertical tailplanes of the block 15. 

Naturally these days, these jets are mostly upgraded to MLU standard 😋

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Boman said:

Straight forward and simple to remove the "casting point" from the tail.

Thanks.  I'll have a think about that -maybe not the F-16, but something.  The drama of a landing with chute deployed could be impressive.

2 hours ago, Boman said:

The "Plus" came from the time when the block 15 F-16A/B were introduced, whereby they used the "plus" to differenciate the block 15's who had larger tailplanes from the earlier block 1/5/10 who had the smaller tailplanes. 

Ah, right.  Pretty sure my proposed build was a late Block 15 F-16A.

An MLU standard F-16A (F-16AM?) would be so much easier OOB, though I probably wouldn't learn as much.

10 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

An MLU standard F-16A (F-16AM?) would be so much easier OOB, though I probably wouldn't learn as much.

Externally, just shave off the IFF "chicken slicers" in front of the cockpit and replace the rectangular nose gear door landing lights with the original MLG strut mounted ones on an MLU, and presto!, Block 15 A. 

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

...or switch/stick to the gentlemen's scale and enjoy the plethora of excellent Revell F-16A/AM kits :wink:

That is a thought ... Gentleman's scale? 1/32 or 1/72?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Thanks SouthViper,
I've seen the hype, are they out yet?

Think the first Golden F-16s will be MLU As.
Given Andre's suggested mod (above) this may be the way to go.

Yes,  the new Kinetic F-16A MLU is the way.

Unless you are perfectionist, it can be retrofited without MLU mods.

We also have the Hasegawa

F-16As and F16Bs all before MLU.

Academy does have the  F-16A in 1/48.

The initial F-16s from Kinetic have some shortcomings mainly in nose/radar, rudder height and base.

If I remember well, the Kinetic's 

F-16XL ship#1 and ship#2 are both corrected nose shape.

SouthViper from Brazil 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Thanks again SouthViper.
I think I've found a Hasegawa F-16A Plus kit (to be confirmed), but will keep an eye out for the upcoming Kinetic Gold kits.

Hope to see one soon in here somewhere!

Can't have enough A models around  ;)

By the way I am not sure why the remaining Dutch, Norwegian, Danish, Belgian AM/BMs are not fast tracked to Eastern Europe now... but still are retired  or moved to commercial aggressor duties....

I guess the are still rather capable compared to other jets out there... :(

• Like 1

On 7/10/2022 at 8:03 PM, exdraken said:

By the way I am not sure why the remaining Dutch, Norwegian, Danish, Belgian AM/BMs are not fast tracked to Eastern Europe now... but still are retired  or moved to commercial aggressor duties....

A number of Norwegian F-16s have been sold to Romania. I guess this counts as "Eastern Europe", although several former WarPac countries now identify themselves as Central Europe.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2022 at 8:03 PM, exdraken said:

I guess the are still rather capable compared to other jets out there... :(

Training of pilots will take 1-2 years minimum, hence no quick fix. The aircraft to be delivered to Romania will only be handed over late 23/early 24

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Vingtor said:

A number of Norwegian F-16s have been sold to Romania. I guess this counts as "Eastern Europe", although several former WarPac countries now identify themselves as Central Europe.

Romania  of course  counts!

I am referenz to F-16s handed over cheaply to private companies instead ad of Poland,  Slovakia,  Romania, etc..... they all have or will soon operate F-16s...

2 tears of training  yes, in peace  time...now it is to bolster defencees in numbers first.....

On 7/13/2022 at 12:56 AM, exdraken said:

F-16s handed over cheaply to private companies

Like for 1$, but you are then responsible for any and all consequent costs up to and including transferring said airframes from their current location and dealing with the deferred maintenance because the powers that be did not want to run down their budgets doing work on aircraft destined to be sold off anyway?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Like for 1$, but you are then responsible for any and all consequent costs up to and including transferring said airframes from their current location and dealing with the deferred maintenance because the powers that be did not want to run down their budgets doing work on aircraft destined to be sold off anyway?

My point is not that they get them for free or would not be worthy recipients, but said airframes might be more urgently needed elsewhere....! Nevermind... 😀