The Eyes of Argus Panoptes - Republic RF-84F Thunderflash 51-11294 of the Elliniki Aeroporia - Sword 1/72

Finally I’ve managed to haul this one through finishing school for your delectation. As you can see, she is a Republic RF-84F Thunderflash of the Elliniki Aeroporia (Greek Air Force). More specifically she is a RF-84F-15-RE, an early block number, serial numbered 51-11294.

11294e

Credit: Public Domain

The Greeks operated at least 36 of these machines, gained through US MDAP deliveries following services with other European or US operators, varying from the USAF through other air arms such as those of France, Germany, the Netherlands. This machine was from US stock and had seen service with the regular air force as well as the 154th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron, Arkansas ANG, being delivered to Greece in 1958. Throughout her Greek career she was operated by the 348 Mira (or Moira) from Larissa Airbase. Finally, she succumbed to progress and was retired to the Larissa dump in the late 1980s or early 1990s. I wanted to build one of these as a memory jogger for two trips I made to Larissa in 1982 while these aircraft were still active. Also in the same year my mates and I saw 53-7682 fly in to Athens for maintenance.

Here is the only photo I ever managed, taken from the flight deck of our 737-200:

11294zp

Edit: I found a photo of “11294” on the Larissa dump in July 2013

1DAAB801-120A-4718-B8C1-7F26CDBBA102

For a taste of how they looked in operation here is a short video:

The build thread is here:

I chose to build this machine simply because I had a good image of her (above). The model is built using the Sword kit which is a reasonable basis for getting an “okay”-looking ‘flash. It is, however, known that the kit is slight short in length – depending what reference source you have and believe – and requires a fair bit of fettling to get something that looks as it should. I am no expert but I have tried a close representation. For those out there who fancies building one of these kits I suggest the following as some of the modifications that you could/should undertake:

1.       Use an Airfix nosewheel leg. This would need more detail too but it sits better than the kit parts. What is must have is the compression link ahead of the main strut.

2.       Make up a tail skid from plastic rod.

3.       Add more detail to the intakes. I used plastic sheet cut into the BL plate and the small vortex generators.

4.       The tailplane should be pivoted. I used 0.5mm brass rod.

5.       Drill out the wing gun ports

6.       Add more detail to the coaming area

7.       Add fillers to get the wing tanks to sit proud of the pylon, ensuring there is a small gap. Also add vent pipes. The tanks also need filler caps to the rear.

8.       The canopy needs the four latches along the lower edges. I made these from plastic card.

9.       The rear of the fin needs the nav light housing and two lights. It also needs the small rudder balance (is that what it is?) on either side.

10.   The rudder and ailerons need trim tabs. Again, I used plastic card.

11.   Consider the very noticeable putty around the canopy and rear glazing on these aircraft. I painted mine and masked them prior to adding the main masks.

12.   If you are very particular, add a clear part for the dorsal nav light housing just ahead of the fin. I got too far and so opted to use silver decal.

13.    Add new canopy struts

14.    Add a mirror on the canopy

15.    Add wingtip Nav lights

In terms of what I used otherwise, it was the following:

1.       Kit – Sword (SW72116) in 1/72

2.       Decals – the Icarus set for F & RF-84Fs (72008) and the serial was printed by Arctic Decals following Giorgio’s drawing @Giorgio N.

3.       Paint – Humbrol US SEA colours (two greens, tan, gray). These are numbers 28, 116, 117 and 118. Otherwise she had various greys, reds, blacks, metallics. All of these were Humbrol enamel. She is finish with Humbrol Satincote. I used a Montex mask.

4.       Weathering – Flory washes (Dark Dirt and Sand), Tamiya Weathering Powders and a Prismacolor Silver pencil. After the washes I used a brush and Tamiya Weathering Powder - Sand all over to give her a bit more of a dusty look. 

5.        Aftermarket – none

And here are a few shots of her:

11294zk

11294zl

11294zm

11294zn

11294zo

I hope you like her :)

Martin

• Like 70

That looks fantastic. If I didn't already have an RF-84F book marked against some Daco Belgian markings, one of these would be my next choice, you've make it look very tempting. :)

Steve.

Outstanding job on that model my friend. 

That greek scheme looks fantastic on that beast. Absolutely wonderful as usual.

Looking forward to your next model!

Best regards

Ignacio

To you all - @Giorgio N @RAGATIGER @e8n2 @Duncan B @Hook @Robert @reini @Lord Riot @Wez @Courageous @Hamster Volant @billn53 @Arie Vos @dukdalf @jean @72modeler @lufbery @TEMPESTMK5 @Ignacio @Shalako @keefr22 @Lightningboy2000 @Terry1954 @dov @Smudge @Neil Lambess @Chuck1945 @corsaircorp @heloman1 @Chrisj2003 @Navy Bird @bentwaters81tfw @Rob de Bie @Paul J @Corsairfoxfouruncle @Pete in a shed @Graham T @Stu @replicant @Pantherhawk27263 @Autle @Luke1199 @TheyJammedKenny! @stevehnz @Serkan Sen @F-32 - thanks for you support, praise and comments. They mean a lot to me and, as guidance, have steered me on the rocky path that this build has been. Despite the hiccups along the way, my errors and mistakes, my accidents, etc, she has worked out okay. I am pleased with her. 

On with the next ;)

MArtin

• Like 10

17 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

I am pleased with her

And so you should be Martin, she's a real Greek beauty! :)

Really enjoyed watching her come together in the wip thread, and you overcome those hiccups magnificently well - top job!! 

Keith

• Thanks 1

• RidgeRunner changed the title to The Eyes of Argus Panoptes - Republic RF-84F Thunderflash 51-11294 of the Elliniki Aeroporia - Sword 1/72