Anyone at Shuttleworth's "Fly Navy" Show on Sunday?

spruecutter96

If so, what did you think? It was a shame about the late-afternoon rain, but that's British summer-time for you.

I think they put on a good show, all things considered, but it could have done with some jet-noise. It's a real shame the Sea Vixen is out-of-action - I've not seen it flying.

Cheers.

Chris.  

I was there, and weather aside, I thought it was a fantastic show. Arguably the finest gathering of historic types you're likely to see this year, certainly for those of us with a passion for naval aviation. I'd argue that they had just about every historic naval type on show, excluding Air Leasing's Fury that hasn't flown for a while now, so not much more we could hope to see in that regard. There isn't much around that would tick off the jet category ( I keep hoping the French Navy Rafale pair might rock up one day 😂), but a bit of modern military wouldn't have gone amiss- Old Warden would be perfect for the Wildcat display for example. Overall though, a great show, and I hope the theme remains after its hiatus.

Pics will be posted in due course :)

• Like 1

I was there too! Very impressed indeed :)

Bit of a queue to park, but I can't complain, as I stood outside my car and watched the Hurricane, then the Gladiator carry out display practice in the warm morning sun. The weather in the afternoon wasn't nearly as good as the morning and we had the aforementioned obligatory British summer rain.

A brilliant selection of naval aircraft, just about every relevant airworthy historic naval aircraft was present. More impressive was the amount of aircraft present from Westland Aircraft/Helicopters in Yeovil - there were 25-30 aircraft displaying, of which 12 were built in Yeovil. Not bad for a Somerset town right in the middle of the South West.

As others have said, the only thing that could have really improved it would have been some jets - none of which are airworthy. I'd certainly go to the Fly navy show again, hopefully we'll see a Sea Fury, Swordfish and Sea Hawk next time!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seamus said:

Overall though, a great show, and I hope the theme remains after its hiatus.

I have wondered if the RN regard this as an "alternative-Yeovilton". They seem to support it pretty well. Hopefully, it will continue for many years to come. 

Chris.