Sword Avenger RCN

Robin-42

I try to keep one Canadian subject on the go among my other builds. I have several planned, but they will as usual involve unnecessary silliness. Current silliness is getting to grips with 3D printing, but in an attempt to start one that will be finished by the deadline I won’t post that effort here, Instead I will build Swords recent Avenger straight out of the box-I hope! I know little about the ASW versions, and will try to keep it that way. This is the starting point. Looks simple enough.😁

27F04A60-3608-4CCE-AF3F-CCCAF0659BC7

2BD011FA-5C78-465D-9336-7B04C28FA227

68DA3A98-7DEC-4510-BC9D-D25CEC4B37D3

Edited by Robin-42
  • Like 12

• Robin-42 changed the title to Sword Avenger RCN

Done one of these. Based it on the Hasegawa  kit ( on which the Sword kit is based) of the late version and canopy was a vacform with some resin bits from a Scobie -Do conversion kit that had decals done for him by Dave at Leading Edge Models.  In fact I have made three all different.

On 7/5/2022 at 2:33 PM, zebra said:

Nice choice, this will be good. Looking forward to some unnecessary silliness in your next build!

Plenty here! 

And as a sneak peak at 3D silliness, this one is a prototype for more Canadian content!

5EE5D60C-A065-44D0-B503-64DF1F1EAF9E

• Like 1

I’ve got the 1/48 kit planned.  Was going to do it for this GB but it might be one too many.  
Requires a ton of modifications based on the version you are doing.

Ill dig out the sheet that came with the resin mods and post it for you if you’d like.

On 7/8/2022 at 3:55 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Why does that look like an F-84F drop tank ? 

It does! It’s actually a 1/72 “Streamline” fuel tank for the Voodoo. I have a suspicion that they could be the same tank. The USAF probably only had a few vendors for external tanks, the mounts were standardized and they probably had warehouse full of F84 tanks, take off the fins and they were good to go. Or it’s a total coincidence they are so similar.

Anyway, the EF101B only carried that tank, and none of the kits include it. I have had the kit and decals for years and have always wanted to build it since getting a chance to sit in it in North Bay. I also saw it’s final departure from North Bay. Total badass airplane. Once I am happy with the tank, I need to finish the chaff pod and extra antennas. I have said elsewhere, the learning curve is steep for 3Dsoftware, but it will allow things I could never do as well otherwise. 

Edited by Robin-42
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Beazer said:

I’ve got the 1/48 kit planned.  Was going to do it for this GB but it might be one too many.  
Requires a ton of modifications based on the version you are doing.

Ill dig out the sheet that came with the resin mods and post it for you if you’d like.

Is that the Belcher Bits conversion? If so, I just downloaded the instructions, found a couple of errors in the Sword interior. I doubt they will be seen, but I will probably fix them anyway. So much for straight out of the box…..

2 hours ago, Robin-42 said:

It does! It’s actually a 1/72 “Streamline” fuel tank for the Voodoo. I have a suspicion that they could be the same tank. The USAF probably only had a few vendors for external tanks, the mounts were standardized and they probably had warehouse full of F84 tanks, take off the fins and they were good to go. Or it’s a total coincidence they are so similar.

Anyway, the EF101B only carried that tank, and none of the kits include it. I have had the kit and decals for years and have always wanted to build it since getting a chance to sit in it in North Bay. I also saw it’s final departure from North Bay. Total badass airplane. Once I am happy with the tank, I need to finish the chaffe pod and extra antennas. I have said elsewhere, the learning curve is steep for 3Dsoftware, but it will allow things I could never do as well otherwise. 

Is that the all black F-101 ? If so any chance I could get a set of the antenna’s and other goodies ? Ive got the decals and an F-101B sitting here in the stash. 

50 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Is that the all black F-101 ? If so any chance I could get a set of the antenna’s and other goodies ? Ive got the decals and an F-101B sitting here in the stash. 

I am using the free version of Fusion360, “Not for commercial use.” My hope is if I can get them to a presentable state, I can upload the files, so anyone can print them. Ideally, maybe britmodeller would be able to host free designs. I will suggest that in the 3D section. Second best would be emailing the file to someone with a printer. I don’t want to start a cottage industry, so if someone thought they could make money off them, they would have to pay the licence fee to Fusion and take it from there. In any case, I have a very short list of people that I would send copies to, and you are on it. I will start a separate “Work in Progress” thread on the Voodoo and 3D silliness once I start in earnest. Updates will be there. Back to Avengers!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Robin-42 said:

I am using the free version of Fusion360, “Not for commercial use.” My hope is if I can get them to a presentable state, I can upload the files, so anyone can print them. Ideally, maybe britmodeller would be able to host free designs. I will suggest that in the 3D section. Second best would be emailing the file to someone with a printer. I don’t want to start a cottage industry, so if someone thought they could make money off them, they would have to pay the licence fee to Fusion and take it from there. In any case, I have a very short list of people that I would send copies to, and you are on it. I will start a separate “Work in Progress” thread on the Voodoo and 3D silliness once I start in earnest. Updates will be there. Back to Avengers!

That does make sense and I wouldn't want to upset the software people either. Id even take offshoots and rough practice models to get closer to some of the antennas and bumps. But Im in no hurry as I think at 4-6 months from now before I can touch the kit. Ive got too much going now as is. 

13 hours ago, Robin-42 said:

Is that the Belcher Bits conversion? If so, I just downloaded the instructions, found a couple of errors in the Sword interior. I doubt they will be seen, but I will probably fix them anyway. So much for straight out of the box…..

Yeah that’s the one.

Sword makes you work for it. The interior has a lot of very weak butt joints, it also was a little too wide, so it needed to be narrowed a bit. The rear shelf has nothing to attach to except the fuselage, so I taped it together and ran cyanoacrylate on the one half. I could have assembled the bulkheads on one half, but I have run into problems with that method with things not being centred that are supposed to be. The centre seat area is wrong according to Belcher Bits instructions. The seat should only be a folding one and off to the side. I was going to leave it, but the kits I want to detail the least always have the clearest canopies! Rear seat has been raised and some struts added as per Belcher Bits again. I had glued the rear radios in, but of course then found a photo of the subject aircraft, and they are not there. Off they came. The rear bulkhead will have to be cut down as well. And to think, I thought I would be joining the fuselage in two nights.🙄

0B164852-931F-4E4E-BDAD-6A7D78F26049

• Like 7

Despite starting with another project, my first successful 3D print is the rocket stub mounts for the Avenger. I actually designed different ones for the front and back. I can’t tell which is which! Good news is the carpet monster can take all it wants, I have plenty of resin! Now I have to drill 16 perfectly located holes for them.🙄

8F2B2A42-4226-470C-BFF1-E00FD76E5EC1

• Like 3

My hi tech template for locating the rocket stubs. I tried using the Belcher Bits measurements, rescaled but they didn’t agree with the Sword kit-or I can’t do math! I found a good photo showing them and just used my calibrated eyeball. Same with the radar pod. Sword shows it way too far out on the wing for an RCN bird. The Belcher instructions have it right. 

7A418844-B90E-4827-810A-5B185E039E6D

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Not much modelling lately, snuck off to Oshkosh for three days. There was a TBM3E which the S was converted from. I never trust restored aircraft, but most of this one seemed correct.  The radome and it’s mounting rack looked original. There is a lot more going on than I could duplicate in 1/72, but I could confirm that the radome is 1/2 a sphere on this one and the RCN birds. I could have brought a tape measure to confirm my mounting points, but I am not that smart.

34C5EAB2-1D92-460F-B965-329ED7CCECE5

67BBE6A3-7D3B-4F67-B028-D024BC83B761

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Andwil said:

Is that a hammock outboard of the radome?  I guess the Avenger was a naval aircraft after all….

AW

It was a seat, comfy chair, acres of shade over his head, I wouldn’t be shocked if the radome hid a mini-bar! Just because you fly a warbird, doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice!

Puttering along. Added some rib sections in the wheel well, some more to be added yet. I have read the main gear doesn’t sit at the correct angle, so I will have to look at that. Also cut out nav light housings. On the fuselage filled in the aft windows and painted the other openings black as the plastic is quite thick and the bare plastic will show up when the windows are installed.

66CB7AE9-99BB-4469-B36B-24E944FE1889

Edited by Robin-42
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

More work done, added structure to u/c bays, nav lights to wingtips, put brass pins in to help secure u/c and wheels, and added windows to fuselage. What possessed me to add ignition wires is a mystery-it’s 1/72 for goodness sake! Hopefully they look ok painted. Gear legs need some hyd lines yet. 

A9DE9745-8966-48FF-B5AC-7BC0A4F02E77

• Like 7

On 8/8/2022 at 8:09 AM, zebra said:

I’m incredibly jealous! Oshkosh is high on my bucket list but this time of year is stupidly busy at work, so I’m basically going to have to wait until I retire.

If you're ever in the neighborhood Im only 4 hours away so you could stay local and travel with me. 

• Like 1