CF-100, 350 Sq. Belgian Air Force, late 50s-early 60s...

John Masters

I will be happy to build this one.  It looks to be a very simple kit and so I will build it that way.  Let's hope all the pieces fit together.

52193755434_f639f76906_c_d.jpg

Sprue...

52194713016_4ac0b05282_z_d.jpg

Profile from the Synart decal set...

52193755424_e65e552529_c_d.jpg

Should look good next the Belgian Hunter...

--John

• Like 9

It fit’s well. The wings will likely be a little warped. They should be absolutely straight from root to tip. There is a small amount of dihedral though. The rear fuselage will need a little fettling to avoid it dropping. Finally the CF100 was not approved to fly with the long wings and tip tanks. It was tested that way, but not approved operationally. The Belgian Cf100’s were ferried with the short wings and tip tanks. After delivery, the tip extensions were fitted. 

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

On 7/5/2022 at 6:19 PM, Robin-42 said:

After delivery, the tip extensions were fitted. 

Thanks mate.  The Belgian profile doesn't have the tip tanks so I may leave them off.  The wings seem to be the right size, however.  

I will make some progress on this today, I promise.

So this is coming together quickly and it looks pretty good from my perspective...

52265625576_a570c94b93_c_d.jpg

This was a fun little piece to insert.  During the test fit it fell into the cavity and I had to shake it back down to the opening and then carefully wiggle it out with a pair of tweezers.  I used a bit of glue the next time and it stayed put.

52264657742_47f8feb347_c_d.jpg

Wings went on easily and I gave them each a very slight dihedral.

52265625586_12f957e483_c_d.jpg

52265889854_aebd6b901f_c_d.jpg

I'll mask the canopy tomorrow and attach it.  Then it will be time for primer.  Total building/bench time so far...can't be more than 2 hours, but I haven't kept track.

--John

• Like 7

4 hours ago, John Masters said:

This was a fun little piece to insert.  During the test fit it fell into the cavity and I had to shake it back down to the opening and then carefully wiggle it out with a pair of tweezers.  I used a bit of glue the next time and it stayed put.

52264657742_47f8feb347_c_d.jpg

Probably obvious and if so apologize in advance. If you build another one add the piece before closing the fuselage. There are two scoops just behind and to each side on of the canopy on the Mk.4. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

4 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

If you build another one add the piece before closing the fuselage. There are two scoops just behind and to each side on of the canopy on the Mk.4. 

Thanks Dennis.  I had a tough time finding this kit so I doubt I'll build another. Is there a good photo of the scoops you refer to?  I might be able to scratch them.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, John Masters said:

Thanks Dennis.  I had a tough time finding this kit so I doubt I'll build another. Is there a good photo of the scoops you refer to?  I might be able to scratch them.

Ok the 1st photo is a Mk.IV, the red circles show the airscoops and engine de-icing vanes.

xDXlJDu.jpg

Here is a Mk.V the scoops have moved back and outboard to the engines.
kppInun.jpg

One on each side plus the main intake further back just right of center. 

c6cq2gu.jpg

I had some extra vents from an old Mig kit that I used. Not perfect but close enough for Gov’t work. 

• Like 3

I have masked and attached the canopy.  I'll make a better effort on scratch building this little scoops @Corsairfoxfouruncle before I prime it.

52273404671_b8073e8d33_c_d.jpg

Here's an exceptional build thread I found...if @reini can do all of this, so can I...I have plenty of plastic card.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235083071-belgian-clunk/

--John

• Like 8

Thanks @reini.  I will skip that.  The wing extensions look ok.  They might need a little PPP before painting.  I made them using three pieces of card which equaled 2.5mm once laminated.

52282484480_69c2a04b70_c_d.jpg

It's all primed and I can see some spots for filler.  I'll also scribe some panel lines.

52282012038_7064fcb481_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 9

On 8/13/2022 at 6:48 PM, arfa1983 said:

Such a tough looking plane 

Thanks.  It's different for sure.

While I was spraying another build, I figured I'd give this one some as well...

52300105141_68d093a739_z_d.jpg

I hope for paint today.

• Like 5

I'm not sure the full size ones were built up from parts, I think they were machined from a single block of solid aluminium!

Nice progress, looking forward to seeing it finished. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Viking said:

I'm not sure the full size ones were built up from parts

Not sure what you are referring too...🙂

Anyway...

The profile for the colour scheme is not confusing.  A familiar UK/NATO Cold War pattern.  

52302056515_cef566c012_z_d.jpg

I went with Sea Grey...tomorrow I will mask off the grey areas and I hope to add the green.  

52301572248_b37f78c8b9_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 6

1 hour ago, John Masters said:

Not sure what you are referring too...🙂

Anyway...

Just a humorous aside about the tough looking solidity of the real thing 🙂

• Like 1

Masked for the green.  I used Tamiya RAF 2.  It flows better than the other acrylics.

52302966777_5573122940_z_d.jpg

52303961548_3cc74fb51b_z_d.jpg

Looks good.  I'll have some minor touch-ups on the grey...

52304443695_ca3fa7bcc0_z_d.jpg

Masked for the underside...

52304219989_ca3fa7bcc0_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 6

I gave the underside some Royal Light Grey.  Looks good I think.  Good enough for a BeNeLux sky...

52304504969_971089ffef_z_d.jpg

I'll mask and paint the black leading edges, anti-glare section and nose tomorrow.  Then some hairy brushing on the exposed metal areas...then decals...

Moving right along now.

--John

• Like 7