Fly Navy Air Show, Old Warden July 2022

Evening all!

Here are some of my favourite images from an excellent line-up at Old Warden yesterday. The day started with beautiful sunshine, but the clouds rolled in as the show started and culminated in a sharp shower as the wonderful Wasps displayed.

There should have been four Wasps in the formation, but one went tech before departing for Old Warden and the Fighter Collection's Wildcat took off to participate in a formation with the Bearcat and Corsair, but reported a minor problem with his canopy, so departed for home at Duxford.

DSC_1301.jpg

DSC_1276.jpg

DSC_1302.jpg

DSC_1319.jpg

DSC_1372.jpg

DSC_1417.jpg

DSC_1424.jpg

DSC_1458.jpg

DSC_1507.jpg

DSC_1557%20(2).JPG

The actor Robert Lindsay was in the Navy Wings enclosure

DSC_1576.jpg

DSC_1627%20c.jpg

DSC_1814.jpg

DSC_1771.jpg

DSC_1755.jpg

DSC_1749.jpg

DSC_1732.jpg

DSC_1712.jpg

DSC_1679.jpg

DSC_1659.jpg

DSC_1994.jpg

DSC_2022.jpg

DSC_2078.jpg

DSC_1974.jpg

DSC_2083.jpg

DSC_2112.jpg

DSC_2115.jpg

DSC_2120.jpg

DSC_2144.jpg

DSC_2149.jpg

DSC_2182.jpg

DSC_2189.jpg

DSC_2239.jpg

DSC_2259.jpg

DSC_2335.jpg

DSC_2356.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

Lovely images on here! I thought the brooding, dark-grey-with-some-splashes-of-blue-sky made a great backdrop to the Gazelle display. In many ways, I was glad there was some big, dark clouds around, as I would have got a bit frazzled if the day had been un-interrupted sunshine. 

I'm glad that folks enjoyed the airshow - let's hope the one in early August is as good. 

Cheers. 

Chris. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Superb photos- as ever- I am not a great fan of helicopters but I am really impressed with the Wessex and Sea King photos- also the unusual angle shot of the Anson.

Thanks for posting🙂

Colin

Hi Colin. I'm delighted that you enjoyed my record of the day. I really enjoyed the various helicopter displays, but like you I wouldn't normally consider myself a fan!

5 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

Lovely images on here! I thought the brooding, dark-grey-with-some-splashes-of-blue-sky made a great backdrop to the Gazelle display. In many ways, I was glad there was some big, dark clouds around, as I would have got a bit frazzled if the day had been un-interrupted sunshine. 

I'm glad that folks enjoyed the airshow - let's hope the one in early August is as good. 

Cheers. 

Chris. 

Thanks for the kind words, Chris. I was a little disappointed that the weather took a turn in the afternoon, but as you say, the sky does add something to the images!

1 hour ago, Red Dot said:

Excellent photos all round

Andy 

Thanks very much Andy. I'm pleased you enjoyed them.

11 hours ago, Parabat said:

Great pics, the Gazelles are great, nice to see the SA Navy Wasp as well, a rare beast indeed! 

Thanks for the kind words, Parabat. The Gazelles put on an excellent display and I loved hearing and seeing the Wasps. I had never seen the South African veteran before.

9 hours ago, gunpowder17 said:

Bravo , beautiful photos. I love them all . Didnt realise there were 3 wasps airworthy. The Seafire is beuatiful.

Thanks very much, gunpowder! There is at least one other airworthy Wasp, which was scheduled to appear at the show, but it had a technical problem so didn't participate. However the remaining three still put on a great show despite the inclement weather!

Another excellent day out Leigh which despite the brooding weather, produced some fantastic and imaginative photo compositions.  Hard to pick favourites as they are all so good, but being a big fan of the Wessex, those including the Sea King take some beating.

Thanks for sharing.  No doubt you're getting ready for RIAT now?

Mark

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, canberraman said:

Another excellent day out Leigh which despite the brooding weather, produced some fantastic and imaginative photo compositions.  Hard to pick favourites as they are all so good, but being a big fan of the Wessex, those including the Sea King take some beating.

Thanks for sharing.  No doubt you're getting ready for RIAT now?

Mark

Hi Mark.

I hope you're well? I'm delighted that enjoyed the pictures and compositions - it can be difficult to come up with anything imaginative!

I was delighted to see all the helicopters (although, I'm a fast jet man at heart!) Despite recent changes, Old Warden remains my favourite air show venue.

Yes, I'm getting ready for RIAT! Although this year, I've decided to go Wednesday to Friday only.

Will you be there?

11 hours ago, Latinbear said:

Looks like an excellent show! Hard to pick a favourite but the head on Gazelles and Sea King/Wessex combo are very nice to see. 

Thanks Latinbear, I really enjoyed all the helicopters, but the Gazelle display was exceptional!

11 hours ago, franky boy said:

Super photos as always and it’s great to see the Seafire XVII back in the air. 

Thanks for sharing. 

James 

Hi James. Thanks for the kind words and I'm pleased that you enjoyed the images. I was particularly pleased to see (and hear!) the Seafire again as I had the opportunity to do an air to air shoot with her when she was based at North Weald.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Looks like a fabulous day out, and superb photos.

I love that Wessex, so glad there’s one still flying!

Thanks very much! I'm pleased you enjoyed them!

I agree that the Wessex is stunning! I'm so grateful to Historic Helicopters for their commitment to keeping these wonderful machines flying. 

• Like 1

Thanks for posting, there are some stunningly great pictures there. They're so good it makes me feel I was there, you could almost hear the noise of th aero engines.

Thanks again. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 825 said:

Thanks for posting, there are some stunningly great pictures there. They're so good it makes me feel I was there, you could almost hear the noise of th aero engines.

Thanks again. 

Thank you very much, 825. That is some complement! I'm so pleased that you enjoyed them.

• 1 month later...