What's more American on this 4th of July Holiday than finishing a British airplane? :)

I nearly revolted against this model many times during the build. 

Like a scrappy colonial militia, it fought me all the way. 

But seriously. This model almost didn't make it over the line. Although it has many of the hallmarks of Tamiya's simplified engineering, it gave me trouble from beginning to end. I started the kit in the fall of 2020, after finding it at a used bookstore in Savanah, Georgia, of all places. The first disappointment was the very spartan cockpit. Then there were the very poorly fitting engine covers, followed by all manner of self-induced difficulties. The decals were old and didn't want to come off their backing paper. When I put them in hot water, a frosty white haze started to develop on them. I suspect the previous owner coated them with Future/Klear, as was the custom in the late 90s. Mr. Mark Softer seems to have knocked back the white haze. The final kick in the pants was my own doing - I applied the "Q" on the nose door, upside down, and had to glue the door on upside-down.

Durp!

But, far from perfect as this model is, it turned out nice enough. Its a white meteor, and looks striking on my shelf. 

PXL_20220704_183111579-XL.jpg

PXL_20220704_183122309-XL.jpg

PXL_20220704_183152381-XL.jpg

PXL_20220704_183205032-XL.jpg

PXL_20220704_183212232-XL.jpg

PXL_20220704_183223454-XL.jpg

• Like 60

8 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Not often seen in the winter scheme

Not a winter scheme.  but a high vis recognition scheme for the few Meteors deployed in in NW Europe at the end of the war,  as the only jets seen until then had been German... 

Or so I though until I checked the Ducimus guide....

Meteor,%20Whirlwind%20&%20Welkin%2011%20

Though since no other British types got winter paint,  I think high vis is more likely...   perhaps one for @Chris Thomas  as he did 4 volumes on the 2nd TAF and might have found something subsequently.

the whole booklet is here 

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Camouflage-Markings/Meteor-Whirlwind-Welkin

Model has come out well despite the trials and tribulations @SoftScience

:goodjob:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SoftScience said:

I applied the "Q" on the nose door, upside down, and had to glue the door on upside-down.

So glad I am not the only one who does that sort of thing. Through it all you have produced a really nice model.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Or so I though until I checked the Ducimus guide....

I'm trying to think if I had heard of the reason for the white finish other than as snow camo, you would have thought that if the white distemper was applied to identify an allied jet as opposed to a German one, that information would have been more widely known as it would have been needed to be passed to all the fighter units in the ETO theatre, certainly within the the 2nd ATAF.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I'm trying to think if I had heard of the reason for the white finish other than as snow camo, you would have thought that if the white distemper was applied to identify an allied jet as opposed to a German one, that information would have been more widely known as it would have been needed to be passed to all the fighter units in the ETO theatre, certainly within the the 2nd ATAF.

Some sources say it was to prevent confusion with the Me262.  Who, even in the heat of combat, could mistake this pedestrian design for the sleek 262?!i. Personally I think the ground camo theory is the best.  TBH this was the primary purpose behind camo anyway! 

• Like 1

I'm away from my records at present but do recall writing about the white Meteor deployment in 2nd TAF Vol 3.  The deployment was not operational, it was to introduce the type to Allied forces before the planned arrival of the full 616 Sqn on the Continent.  Nothing to do with winter camouflage or the Me262. The Meteors were early Mk.IIIs, which had the same engine as the Mk.I, and its inferior performance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Who, even in the heat of combat, could mistake this pedestrian design for the sleek 262?!i.

Americans?   The 2nd TAF apparently added the yellow rings to upper wing roundels due to 'friendly fire' incidents with the USAAF.  And, as I said earlier, over Europe,  up until then Jet=German.   Every jet.   The AR 234 were being used as well.     

32 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Personally I think the ground camo theory is the best.  TBH this was the primary purpose behind camo anyway! 

so.... ground concealment,  with effective air superiority,  for, what maybe 10 RAF aircraft?   Why no distemper on Spitfires, Typhoons. Tempests or any RAF aircraft at all at the time?   Or any time in WW2 for the RAF ? Even 151 wing when operating in Russia   Or any airforce in NW Europe in 44/45?  

My 4th Volume about 2nd TAF, which is the one on camo and  markings is not too hand,   which may have something on this.    But, writing the above  high vis recognition makes sense,  winter camo seems very unlikely as it was never used by anything else.....  Note in the photos of the actual white Meteor, that there is very little snow on the ground... 

And @Chris Thomas has added in...    which is a proper answer....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

Americans?   The 2nd TAF apparently added the yellow rings to upper wing roundels due to 'friendly fire' incidents with the USAAF.  And, as I said earlier, over Europe,  up until then Jet=German.   Every jet.   The AR 234 were being used as well.     

I can understand the mistaken identity reason, when the first P-51 Mustang's entered service they were shot at for looking Bf 109ish and the poor old Typhoon had to try several identity marking attempts because they were shot at for looking FW 190ish.