Paper or Card Models

Yes, the work of the devil! Nah, just kidding, I'm actually trying my hand at building Educraft's mobile launcher platform for the revell space shuttle. Plan is to turn it into a desk side lamp (shuttle taking off), but it is currently on hold until I finish my Fletcher. I also have another space shuttle and mlp and crawler to do for my niece...

So far seems great, although I am using wood to give it greater support. My own thoughts are that details can be slightly lacking, given that it's really just a 2d surface, but that hasnt stopped people like Manfred (@roma847) from turning his variant into something quite magical, by adding all manner of gizmos, lights and 3d plastic parts onto it. Seriously, set aside a few days to read that build log.

I'm not sure how easy it would be to do a ship with more curved surfaces and random small details, although I've seen a couple of plane models on here that are quite something. It's also relatively easy to make a mess of it, too much glue, tears etc. so buying some pens in the right colour helps.

I'd also like to note the extremely pleasant buying experience with Educraft. Sorry I cant be of more help, but others who have done a paper/card model hopefully are.

David

• Like 2

I have recently started a card kit of a ship, it is the 1:400 scale ss Atlantic Conveyor that was sunk by Exocet missiles during the Falklands War.  

1ps4yEz.jpg

Although not as detailed a finish as injection moulded or resin kits, it does have one very good advantage, you can scan and rescale the kit to whatever size you want.  In my case, I have rescaled the drawings to 1:144 scale.  At this scale, the model works out to about 5 feet [150 cm] but I could have done it at 1:350 etc.

To save costs, I am using cereal packets for the backing of the artwork.

SukTMjz.jpg

The "ACL" markings had been removed, this hull piece is just a dry fit for size.

Z1unEDn.jpg

The deck markings look good.

sId1omM.jpg

Although I will use plastic [Plasticard/Evergreen] sheet for strength, and repaint it.

DlQZo8w.jpg

cheers,

Mike

• Like 5

Yep, it's all a bit if a learning curve.  The main thing is that I am enjoying this, it is new to me and perhaps I should have saved it for the "out of my comfort zone" GB.  :doh:

Mike

• Like 1

It is surprising the number of different card models that are available covering many different subjects.

A quick look on Marcle Models webside will give some idea.

The web has a number of free to download card model patterns that you can print off too.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bootneck said:

To save costs, I am using cereal packets for the backing of the artwork.

Gidday Mike, I've used them in the past quite successfully, but not for ships yet. I found that by gluing two sheets together, shiny face to shiny face cancels the curve of the sheet and also gives quite a rigid sheet. And for braces for corners etc sometimes I've used four thickness. But you probably already know this. Sorry.

I've never done a ship this way but I've seen completed models of them in our local show from time to time. They're very good, I think. And I agree with you regarding re-sizing. Perhaps I should look into them myself. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1