1/48 Tamiya Beaufighter Mk.VI Night Fighter

Hi all, going to do a WIP thread for this kit as it's my first stab at a building a prop, I've only made jet aircraft so far so this is new for me. I'm not a massive fan of props but there are a few exceptions, one of which is definitely the Beaufighter. This is also my first Tamiya kit, and first British aircraft (shocking- I know).

Any tips or guidance will definitely be appreciated. Here's the kit.

20220704_124334

20220704_124123

I think I'll be giving the kit a quick soak first as there's some sort of muck on a few pieces, it was a sealed kit so I'm not sure what it is. Thanks for looking in!

• Like 11

Okay, finally made a start on the cockpit and rear seat with a few coats of interior green, its a lot more low-tech than what I'm used to in there lol. Just need to paint what I assume is some sort of heating/cooling duct for the interior and put the fuselage together. Dry fitted the interior and fuselage halves and it looks spot on so hopefully get it together tomorrow. Thanks for looking in!

20220706_194212

20220706_193829

20220706_194514

• Like 13

Hi all, good progress today. The wings went together very easily and onto the fuselage. The fit has been great overall, only the nose has given me any trouble- Tamiya definitely living up to its reputation.

Just a small bit of filler was needed along the centre seam line and a little more along the connection between the wings and fuselage. The nose needed a little sanding too but nothing drastic. The engines and landing gear/wheel wells are basically small modules that slot onto the aircraft so I'll just be building those separately and adding them towards the end of the build along with the small antenna's etc.

The nose needed a helping hand...

20220707_212617

20220707_214317

It's a decent size, especially next to the other build I'm working on at the moment... may need another can of primer lol...

20220707_214558

She just needs a prime and a spray which I'll hopefully manage tomorrow. Not sure about how much weathering I'm going to do, I do like seeing scraped paint and wear and tear but I've never really tried it before. I'll have a look around on the forum and YouTube to see how it can be done and go from there. Thanks for looking in!

• Like 8

One slight oversight here on my end, I've build an all-black plane and didn't have enough black paint. Hopefully pick some more up tomorrow and crack on.

Still got it primed and the top sprayed flat black though. Thanks for checking it out!

20220708_203941

20220708_205532

• Like 3

Awfully glad to see this. I put aside my 1/32 Tamiya Mosquito after planting my knee firmly in the middle of some critical cockpit parts. So I picked up my Tamiya 1/48 Beaufighter Mk. VI. Mine is apparently a different boxing, because the top is a dayfighter with nightfighter option. Still, the parts appear identical to yours.

True to my habit, I have two other builds in the works: a 1/32 Roden Siemens-Schuckert D.IV and a Tamiya P-38H Lightning. Everything you've heard about the latter is true -- it's just about perfect. Now if I can just figure out a way to screw it up.

Tom

• Haha 2

Okay, got my hands on some more black paint so we're in action again.

All sprayed black now, hopefully get the landing gear and engine's assembled tomorrow then put on the aircraft. 

20220710_200751

20220710_200806

Going to try and dry brush some silver along the leading edges in places to hopefully give it a little more of a weathered look, so should be fun to try something new. Thanks for looking in!

• Like 3

Hi all, progress has been slow the past few days because of the heat, its unbearably hot upstairs. Stayed up last night after it had cooled down and cracked on some more.

Engines are assembled and fitted, I didn't have any bronze so just used the burnt iron I'd used on the exhausts, propellers need their tips painting yellow still.

20220713_020004

Landing gear went together easily, they just build into small modules which are slotted in under the engines, fit has been great still.

20220713_140235

And with the landing gear doors fitted.. 

20220713_141826

Started glossing it now, once thats done its just the decals and canopy to go on and small odds and ends like antennas.

20220713_140138

Thanks for looking in!

Edited by Luke1199
  • Like 6

The Burnt Iron is a way better colour for the exhaust collectors. Shiny bronze and/or copper are wrongJust look at the exhaust pipe on any vehicle to see what colour the metal gets after some time. It's not shiny bronze.

Chris

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

The Burnt Iron is a way better colour for the exhaust collectors. Shiny bronze and/or copper are wrongJust look at the exhaust pipe on any vehicle to see what colour the metal gets after some time. It's not shiny bronze.

Chris

Yeah I agree Chris, would make it look like the engine had never actually fired up before. Much prefer burnt iron over coppers and silvers when doing exhausts.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Chris

There's a niche in the market here; one of the PE manufacturers (looking at you, Eduard...) could make metal collector rings that can be substituted for the kit parts,  Modellers could then heat blue them with a sooty flame and wipe them down when cool.  Et viola, heat-cycled metal in a colour of your choice.  Can't help thinking they'd be a bit on the dear side, though.

• Like 1

Hi all, decals are on. No issues at all really, though the 'trestle here' decals are tiny on the instruction sheet and I couldnt tell which way they were supposed to face so had to consult the reference material. Had a minor issue with the gloss cote running over the leading edge but nothing major.

Went for the 29th Squadron scheme as I liked the Bambi nose art.

20220714_181701

20220714_181711

Just a bit of weathering left to do and some odds and ends, then a matte cote. Thanks for looking in!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Luke1199 said:

Went for the 29th Squadron scheme as I liked the Bambi nose art.

Gidday Luke, yeah that nose art makes the plane look a real killer and must have put the fear of god into the intended victim. Assuming of course the said intended victim could actually see it with the Beaufighter approaching head on in near total darkness. 😁 Bambi with a bite. Has a nice sound to it.

She continues to look good. Seeing your model here I'm tempted to do the plane myself sometime, although the planes I do now are usually in a different scale - 1/600.

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Bambi with a bite. Has a nice sound to it.

Hahaha you're right there Jeff. I'd definitely recommend the kit if you ever fancy having a go, don't think they go as small as 1/600 though 😅

• Thanks 1