Gauntlet in Hornet’s Livery – 1/72 kitbash - completed

Aeroclub’s Gloster Gauntlet, according to Scalemates issued in 1994, was my first shortrun after I restarted my modelling carrier almost 23 years ago. Found it, together with its Hawker Woodcock stablemate, hiding in the second hand corner of the local hobby shop. It not only introduced me to the world of shortruns, but thanks to the Aeroclub address inside the box, also to the world of more Aeroclub kits, white metal accessories, mail orders and credit card payments. Time flies.

As most of my early kits, Gaunlet is now due for replacement. First, I wanted to replace it with the more contemporary (2008) AZ kit, which is not bad, coming from the times when AZ produced honest shortruns with PE and resin parts. However, the kit is not without shortcomings, so when I was able to lay my hands on relatively cheap Aeroclub Gauntlet (discounted, because the upper wing was missing in the box), I decided for kitbashing. Fuselage by AZ, flying surfaces by Aeroclub (upper wing cannibalized from my old Gauntlet), remaining parts combination of both, plus some leftovers from my earlier Airfix Swedish Gladiator build.

20220703-DSC-0208.jpg

Gauntlet belongs to the few interwar airplanes excellently covered by printed references.

20220703-DSC-0199.jpg

I am going to build it as K7810 from 213 Squadron using the marvellous Model Alliance decals. For unknown reason, all references but one show the front of the 213 Squadron fuselage markings rounded and K7810 with two-bladed wooden propeller, example below.

20220703-DSC-0212.jpg

The only photo, that I know, shows the front of the fuselage markings clearly straight and the propeller with confidence tree-bladed.

20220703-DSC-0205.jpg

Fortunately, the decals have it right. Wheel discs are in my opinion neither black, nor yellow. Blue would be my best estimate unless I reveal new information later.

20220703-DSC-0217.jpg

And I think by now, you have already guessed, why the hornet in the title.

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 12

I still have an Aeroclub Gauntlet in the stash, 20+ years since I bought it…. Really should give it a go!

Regarding K7810, wouldn’t the wheel colour match that of the fin?  If the fin’s painted that would make that aircraft the flight leader, ie yellow flight.  Other aircraft in the flight would have yellow wheels?

Seems by far too dark to me (too little contrast with the tyre even in the shadow) for yellow on the photo. However, plenty of time until the decision, I still plan doing some research.

• Like 1

Hi Patrik, incredible: I have just disassembled my old Aeroclub Gauntlet to "build her better" - BTW I still think the Aero kit is nicer than the AZ one.

Good luck with the build. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Marcel said:

Hi Patrik, incredible: I have just disassembled my old Aeroclub Gauntlet to "build her better" - BTW I still think the Aero kit is nicer than the AZ one.

Good luck with the build. 

Ha, unfair competition, I see. As I know you, I guess you will be posting the result in RFI just by the time I will be closing the fuselage😀. However, in the meantime you can advice me on the best method for striping the old paint from the upper wing of my old Gauntlet, I have never done it before and would like to avoid re-inventing the wheel.

I agree Aeroclub Gauntlet is nicer than AZ. Except for the fuselage and interior and therefore my kitbash. I hope I am not forced to change my mind regarding the interior after I start assembling it.

Lovely little project. I am surprised that the Aeroclub wings are considered to be better. Thinner perhaps?

15 hours ago, Dave Slowbuild said:

Regarding K7810, wouldn’t the wheel colour match that of the fin?  If the fin’s painted that would make that aircraft the flight leader, ie yellow flight.  Other aircraft in the flight would have yellow wheels?

I would tend to agree with Dave. However, I know this is your area of interest, so I'll be interested to see what decision you decide on.

Following  :)

Edited by Smudge

Paint stripping ?

Spray the wing in oven cleaner, seal in a plastic bag and leave overnight.

Did a wonderful job on stripping the wrong colour red off my Fairey Firefly drone.

First time I had tried it, and it worked a treat, only minimal clean up afterwards under a tap on low pressure.  Brilliant job !

HTH

Rog

• Like 1

Rog is right - or you can use Purisol (don’t know if it’s available outside CZ).

Mine will be a long term project, slowly preparing the struts and there are a lot of them...

• Like 1

Thanks for the hints, guys.

@Smudge I am going to make a photo report comparing the major parts in next days. In my opinion Aeroclub surfaces are more convincing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Public holiday here, raining from early morning. How typical...

So, why AZ fuselage? Richer and crispier detail, though some of the panel lines need correcting (AZ is the less beige of both).

20220705-DSC-0250.jpg

20220705-DSC-0245.jpg

Fuselages fit surprisingly well, though AZ is about half a millimeter higher, 

20220705-DSC-0241.jpg

Why Aeroclub wings and empennage? The fabric representation is by far and wide nicer, trailing edges sharper.

20220705-DSC-0220.jpg

20220705-DSC-0227.jpg

Wheels - AZ is clear winner.

20220705-DSC-0230.jpg

Propeller from Airfix Gladiator (grey) is the favourite one of mine. AZ has wrong shape of blades, and Aeroclub is too massive.

20220705-DSC-0222.jpg

And engine cowling? I for sure prefer Aeroclub, though it is going to be tough job. AZ is too Gladiatorish - too deep and too bulky.

20220705-DSC-0238.jpg

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 6

Propellers, if you're happy using the Airfix one then fine of course, but personally I'd first (because it's there) have a bash at filing/sanding down the Aeroclub item. By the time the blades are thin enough I think it will all look the right size and shape too. Anyway, you've prompted me to pull mine from the stash and I think I'll have a go at it too, along with the Pegasus kit in the same box. BTW, in my boxing here's also an alternative 2-blader white metal prop.

If it's a while since you built it, I'll take the liberty of reminding you to beware of the AZ struts. Although similar subjects they did in that period were otherwise very nice, they never seemed to get the knack of producing the right length struts, and between differebt subjects it was a toss up as to if it would be the centre section or interplane struts that were too long. Can't remember which in this case, even though I built two of them, but I do remember it was certainly the case.

I'll attempt to save the Aeroclub wheels. I'll try scribing a line within the tyre position with a compass cutter, then if that works I'll punch a small plastic disc for the centre. And drill a small blind hole for the valve access . But then, I'm cheap that way.

Looking forward to seeing what you get up to with this.

Paul.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2022 at 1:29 PM, Paul Thompson said:

Propellers, if you're happy using the Airfix one then fine of course, but personally I'd first (because it's there) have a bash at filing/sanding down the Aeroclub item. By the time the blades are thin enough I think it will all look the right size and shape too. Anyway, you've prompted me to pull mine from the stash and I think I'll have a go at it too, along with the Pegasus kit in the same box. BTW, in my boxing here's also an alternative 2-blader white metal prop.

If it's a while since you built it, I'll take the liberty of reminding you to beware of the AZ struts. Although similar subjects they did in that period were otherwise very nice, they never seemed to get the knack of producing the right length struts, and between differebt subjects it was a toss up as to if it would be the centre section or interplane struts that were too long. Can't remember which in this case, even though I built two of them, but I do remember it was certainly the case.

Thanks a lot for the warning, Paul. Checked the Aeroclub struts and they are not as much better (I mean longer), I am sorry to say. All things considered, I'm inclined to think that the Aeroclub Gauntlet was used as base for the AZ master. Even though it was for sure quite thoroughly redesigned. The good fit of the main parts between Aeroclub and AZ is rather suspicious, though it will make the kitbash definitely easier.

Today, I used the opportunity, and while taking photos for my Armstrong Whitworth Atlas RFI thread, I took some farewell pictures of the old Gauntlet before disassembly.

20220706-DSC-0281.jpg

20220706-DSC-0282.jpg

20220706-DSC-0283.jpg

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 6
  • Sad 2

Last week, my modelling was slightly hampered by imported Portuguese Covid. Nevertheless, I started the modifications for mating the AZ fuselage and Aeroclub wing. Hard work done, fine-tuning must wait until I close the fuselage. However, the fit is quite fine already now. Time to start playing with the interior.

20220710-DSC-0284.jpg

20220710-DSC-0288.jpg

• Like 8

Interior more or less ready to be painted. Used the original AZ parts, somewhat improved, and added few more from scratch. The bulkhead should represent the fuel tank.

People keep warning me about the AZ Gauntlet. Sometimes I can see why, because e.g. fitting the PE instrument panels in the fuselage and the related modifications (more precisely the related ordeal) could mean a deal breaker for someone less hardened by two decades of fighting shortruns as I am.

20220716-DSC-0011.jpg

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 8

27 minutes ago, Patrik said:

People keep warning me about the AZ Gauntlet.

Always reassuring when you have got one in the stash…

I will be paying even closer attention now! Lovely work going on.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 4

Too busy working week, managed just opening the slots for the Aeroclub fin and stabilizers.

Warning for the potential pure AZ Gauntlet builders, like @AdrianMF. AZ stabilizers are butt joint and their position is pre-scribed on the fuselage. I do not comment on the variation in datum on both sides, however AZ also leads you to believe in rather extravagant incidence angles of the stabilizers - see red lines below.

20220723-DSC-0012.jpg

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Between vacation and vacation managed completing the interior. However, after closing the fuselage, you won't see much more than the seat.

20220804-DSC-0020.jpg

20220804-DSC-0022.jpg

• Like 7

Humbrol 166, which looks just right to me for the purpose. However, at least the one I have must be used carefully, takes more than 24 hours to dry properly. 

• 3 weeks later...

Summer activities are not good for modelling. Nevertheless, I am through the most critical part of the build - mating the AZ fuselage with Aeroclub wing and empennage - and I started adding some of the missing details. On the picture below, fin and rudder were dry fitted for PR purposes only. I also corrected the (one) panel line, that AZ for some reason failed copying from Aeroclub correctly. Probably they knew better😀.

20220827-DSC-0088.jpg

20220827-DSC-0097.jpg

Next, I am going turn my attention to the undercarriage. The positions of the rear undercarriage struts were indicated wrongly on the Aeroclub wing, they should be in line with the rear wing spar, not in the middle of the wing, see above. By the way, AZ has it identically wrong, one more hint proving the ancestry. Below the undercarriage legs. Aeroclub too long, AZ too short. Shortening is easier than extending, choosing Aeroclub.

20220827-DSC-0095.jpg

• Like 5