Trumpeter F105D

I have always wanted to build a Thunderchief, ever since I saw the Hasegawa kit way, waaaay back in the day.  The F-105 looks wrong...  it just looks so weird.  That's probably what makes it such in interesting project.

So...   I'm going to channel Jimmy James & The Vagabonds and say "now is the time".

spacer.png

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Any ideas what scheme you will be going with for this one?

Definitely a natural metal jet, probably from the 561st TFW/23rd TFW based at Takhli RTAFB in 1965.  The kit will require some minor modification for that.

• Like 1

Not sure if the instructions show the drop tank anti-glare panels. But the pylons are also painted about a 1/3 of the forward length in anti-glare. some photo’s appear black but could be a very dark green also ? 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_F-105_Thunderchief#/media/File%3ARepublic_F-105D_00474_SCUL_19.05.62_edited-2.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_F-105_Thunderchief#/media/File%3AF-105_Thunderchiefs_refuel.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_F-105_Thunderchief#/media/File%3AF-105_Thunderchiefs_Mt_Fuji.jpg

Dennis

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

The F-105 looks wrong...  it just looks so weird.

Hmmm... I’m not sure what you mean, mate. The Thud has to be one of the best looking fighters that has ever got to, and past, V2!

A 561st machine will look great but a 562nd/3rd would look even better ;)

Martin

• 4 weeks later...

What?  Enzo has neglected to document his build??? 

Is anyone surprised?   :fraidnot:    :sorry:

Let's look at the parts.  Typical Trumpeter fare.  Nicely moulded and engineered with some truly beautiful surface texture.  There is at least one shape issue, but it is very easily sorted.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Lots of MK84 bombs to strap under it.  They may be relevant for the camouflaged versions on the decal sheet, but for the NMF aircraft on the box art, M117s would be more appropriate.

spacer.png

• Like 1

Some AM resin for the build.  Oddly enough, I haven't shown the Quickboost ventral fin which solves the problem of the incorrectly shaped one in the kit.  However, the resin fin isn't strictly necessary.  A bit of plastic card and Milliput will do perfectly well.

spacer.png

• Like 1

I have had issues with Aires cockpits before.  Somewhere on BM I have related the sorry tale of the 1/48 Seafire 47 cockpit...  :sad:  

But in this time round the Aires cockpit behaved perfectly.  It should be noted though that the casting plinth must be removed completely - at least from the forward part of the cockpit floor - so it does not foul the nose gear bay.

spacer.png

My usual practice is to chuck AM at cockpits, either with Eduard pre-painted PE or Yahu instrument panels.   I really should expand my skill base and have a go at painting cockpits properly.   So here goes.

spacer.png

Everything piled into the port fuselage half, including some ballast.  See my earlier comments about the cockpit floor and the nose gear bay.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

What?  Enzo has neglected to document his build??? 

Not like you at all mate.😉

Really nice work so far, and well done for finding the only Aries cockpit which fits without having to butcher the donor kit.

The cockpit looks very good, some nice painting there.

🇺🇦

• Thanks 1

Fuselage closed up and the wings assembled.  This is going to be an NMF aircraft - well...  painted silver lacquer...   These aircraft did not have the rear fuselage cooling vents.   I have filled the locating slot with a strip of plastic card and sanded off the beautifully moulded strengthening plates.

spacer.png

Main assembly completed.  The sharp-eyed will notice that I have not dealt with the other modification needed for an early F-105D. 

spacer.png

windscreen fitted and masked.  Cockpit, intakes and gear bays also masked.

spacer.png

A coat of clear lacquer sprayed from a rattle can followed by grey car primer, again from a rattle can.

spacer.png

Still haven't dealt with the outstanding issue...  :fraidnot:

• Like 5

The cockpit decking area was sprayed with Lifecolor UA-256.

spacer.png

Masked off. The airframe was then sprayed with AK Xtreme Metal AK479 Aluminium.  I still haven't dealt with the outstanding issue! 

spacer.png

A bit of detail painting completed.  I then filled in the gun bay ventilation slots - which I really should have done way earlier than this!

spacer.png

I'm a bit concerned about how plain it looks, compared with the proper NMF finish of my Voodoo build.  I'm hoping that the decals will add some interest.

Speaking of which, almost every one of my current projects is now at the decalling stage.  The Mighty Spreadsheet lists decalling tasks and nothing else for Saturday.   I wonder if it's possible to get high on Microsol fumes...  :D 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Had I just not put mine togethor and see how nicely it fits together I would be more impressed at the bravery with going for NMF....looking good anyway 

Yeah.  Something this lovely just cries out for NMF.

• Like 1

She looks fantastic mate, really nice.

I know the scheme can seem a little bland being sprayed aluminium rather than NMF but when you get the decals on they will a good splash of colour to the model,

The only remaining question is why did you leave filling the gun gas vents until so late in the build?

🇺🇦

Just now, modelling minion said:

The only remaining question is why did you leave filling the gun gas vents until so late in the build?

Same reason as for most of the things I do.  Sheer stupidity!  :wall:    :lol:  

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Very nice, I like the checks on the tail, very smart.

🇺🇦

Exactly what Craig said, those checks on the tail are super, and the other splashes of colour around the airframe really do hide the blandness of the silver lacquer finish.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...