Trumpeter F-106B

Initially I had planned to convert the Meng F-106A to an F-106B.  However, due to complications with the parts arrangement, that's a non-starter. 

But I really wanted to build an F-106B.  Luckily, there is a kit from Trumpeter!  :yahoo:  

spacer.png

• Like 5

The kit is typical Trumpeter fare.  It is well engineered and beautifully detailed.  No doubt it will build up easily.  However, there are some odd things about it.

The airbrake is moulded in the closed position - but has interior detail!  A section of the main gear bay is nicely detailed but is then closed up within the fuselage.  Trumpeter and Hobby Boss keep doing this sort of thing but I can't work out why.

spacer.png

spacer.png

There are two of each of these (unbagged) sprues.  Both AIM-4F and AIM-4G Falcons are included, together with a couple of AIR-2 Genies.  Only one will be needed.

The part in the bag fits in the weapons bay.  I imagine that some of the avionics were displaced by the second cockpit and were moved into this housing in the weapons bay. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

On 04/07/2022 at 21:23, modelling minion said:

Very strange with the detailing on the inside of the closed airbrakes, how difficult would it be to remove them from the fuselage and display them open?

It wouldn't be too difficult.  However, now I look at it more closely, the airbrake ineriors are not as detailed as they could be, so some extra work would be needed.  I confess that I didn't bother.

There are lots of interior components in this kit.

spacer.png

spacer.png

With plenty of room for ballast.

spacer.png

And it all builds up very nicely, just as one would expect from Trumpeter.

spacer.png

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Looks like you took no chances with her being a tail sitter, thats a fair bit of weight in there.

I've been burned before - most recently by the Airfix 1/48 Vampire - so I tend to be a little paranoid about ballast.  One day I'll put so much in that the undercarriage won't be able to handle it... 

I often make a joke about needing liquid cavorite to put in the tail...   but seriously.  We need liquid cavorite! 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Windscreen fitted and masked.

spacer.png

Cockpit, intakes and the huge area on the underside masked up,

spacer.png

spacer.png

The model was then given a couple of thin coats of clear laquer from a rattle can, followed by a coat of grey car primer, again from a rattle can.  Finally, a few thin coats of Xtracrylix XA1138 FS16473 ADC Grey.

spacer.png

• Like 3

The decal sheet I ordered still hasn't arrived. :(    So I improvised.   I found tail markings that I liked from an Xtradecal sheet.  Then I found a suitable serial number for the unit from https://www.f-106deltadart.com/

Luckily, the aircraft I chose is represented on the Trumpeter decal sheet, albeit in different markings, so I didn't have to faff around aligning seperate numbers for the serial.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
On 06/08/2022 at 23:21, Dansk said:

can you do a photo with all your builds lined up when complete enzo. those 4 tails in a row could look brilliant.

Wot?  Like this?  :) 

spacer.png

• Like 5