Meng F-106A

It seemed that there not too many deltas in this GB, so I pulled the Meng F-106A out of The Stash.  My intention was to convert it to an F-106B using the canopy from a Falcon vacform conversion set.

spacer.png

This set is intended for the venerable Hasegawa kit and provides a complete fuselage.  I intended to just use the canopy and AAR receptacle for the Meng kit.   However, when I came to look at the project in detail, I realised that there would be a major problem.  The way the Meng fuselage is arranged would mean it would lose most of its structural intengrity once I had removed the required plastic for the rear cockpit.  So I'm going to build it pretty much OOB.

spacer.png

• Like 4

Good to see you starting another build for the GB Enzo, and a Dart too, you can never have too many of those in a GB.

Its a great looking kit isn't it, one dropped through my front door yesterday.

Do you know which scheme you will be finishing her as yet?

🇺🇦

14 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Do you know which scheme you will be finishing her as yet?

Likely an early production aircraft from the 27 FIS from Loring AFB in 1961.  Lots of yellow on that fin. 

• Like 1

So let's look at the sprues.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

It is a very nicely moulded kit and is a comprehensive package.  There are two different types of external fuel tanks, open avionics bays and an open airbrake.  The weapons bay can also be built open with the weapons load stowed or extended.  Weapons include two types of AIM-4 Falcon, an optional gunpod and two AIR-2 Genies aka "bucket of sunshine".  The aircraft can only carry one, so there is a transport trolley included for the second one.  Finally there is a PE sheet with a boarding ladder.

This is a very nice kit indeed!  :thumbsup: 

• Like 7

Interior components painted up and ready for fitment. 

spacer.png

With plenty of room for ballast! :thumbsup: 

spacer.png

To be honest, there is very little to report with this kit.  It just fits together nicely.  It's not exactly a "shake the box" kit, but it is not a challenging build. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

i

• Like 7

1 minute ago, modelling minion said:

Do it Martin! Resistance is futile!!

🇺🇦

Or a Trumper! I love the F-106B and especially the NJ ANG machines :)

• Like 3

Proceeding with assembly.

spacer.png

I have left the area of the IFR receptacle clear as I hadn't decided at that point which aircraft I was going to model.

spacer.png

But then I did.   It will be a very early model without IFR receptacle, IRST tracker and external fuel tanks.  I made the relevant adjustments.

spacer.png

All masked up ready for priming.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I sprayed a base coat of clear lacquer from a rattle can and followed that up with grey car primer, again from a rattle can.  (not shown)

Next, a few thin coats of Xtracrylix XA1134 FS16473 ADC Grey.

spacer.png

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Decals can't be far off.

Almost all of my current projects are now at the decalling stage.  The Mighty Spreadsheet lists decaling tasks and nothing else for Saturday!

One problem is that the decal sheet I ordered for this project is lost somewhere: in the UK, the US, over the Atlantic... who knows?   Luckily, there are suitable decals in the Trumpeter F-106B.  I can make up codes from other sources.  I just need to source suitably sized buzz numbers.  Hello, Fantasy Printshop!  :D 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Ale85 said:

I have the same kit in my stash, what about the overall fitting and assembly? 

There were no issues at all, not even with the intakes.  The kit is a pleasure to build.

• 1 month later...