Lukgraph 1/32 Hawker Nimrod 1

I think I'll call this finished.  A very pretty little aeroplane.  The WIP is here.  This is the second Lukgraph kit I have built (the first is their Dragon Rapide) and they are poster boys for modern mixed media (resin, 3D print, PE) kits.  This one has no vices, it went together beautifully.  It is rigged with EZ line in the main, but the control cables around the elevator and rudder are thin wire.  I had a go at putting paint onto the EZ line to make it steel rather than black, but it wasn't taking and I didn't want to get into a world of overspray, mask, touch up, re-touch up, etc.  Basic silver is Tamiya Titanium Silver, the metal panels are Vallejo metallics, which do a very good job of looking like anodised aluminium, particularly after a light PVA varnish clear coat.  The yellow is Humbrol trainer yellow, other paints are mainly Tamiya acrylics.  On with the show. 

A general overview:

y4meVSVrRAaMX5faYVGQqMwaJ50U8r-aN6jRoO79

Everything yellow, and the national insignia, is sprayed on.  The only decals are the serial number and squadron crest on the tail, and the '561' on the yellow band.

Probably what you wouldn't want to see if you were an enemy of the nation, looking over your shoulder (mind you, the engine appears to be stopped... 🙂 ):

y4mXDiH3oEh8CLfj3v_KPRG5aljl0bwy74cOx5Tf

Port profile, capturing the elegant lines.  Note the windscreen... It's a total pig!

y4mLQk6e11yjMWtVIE9iCVL91vCzquuxAhtjmCFz

Plan view, looking down into the cockpit where a significant amount of detail provided by Lukgraph remains invisible:

y4mxc6-KeHNaZHWc05ZE3cR18xuZDm5EjkKVg-g1

Told you...

y4mMH3ABMQ2-EgeW-rJqGopMIZVR3oTt2RmKOOwz

The oddly sized exhausts are because I made frequent breaks of the port one, and during reassembly bits got misplaced.  Why did it get broken? Because I thought I'd try to be clever and use wire to reinforce it (it comes in 2 pieces).  As  I drilled, bits got fractured and I didn't get them all.  I had learnt my lesson on the starboard side... just glue a butt joint.  Also spot where I need to touch up one of the pilot's overhead grab-handles, but probably won't.

Don't look up...

y4mFaHhBDKCYMTrtlpwT2oWVuhB3dHqu992szBNL

Don't tell me the radiator core should be darker...  I'm not going to repaint it now and I have carefully placed it for display so that no-one can ever know.

Coming back the other way.  I'm turning a blind eye to the slightly lumpy joins between the centre section and outer upper panels on the grounds that once again, careful display positioning (inside a filing cabinet inside a windowless room with the lights off) keep my sins hidden...

y4maACLqHHhkX6y5QQSFx8WhfJxhPNSH6gSvEY2_

Just another general view with different lighting...

y4mnkQ3Dx8ZaB2Cb63gH6CWtQYAv0egyEctlj8SL

Finally, on the topic of display, I am gradually building up a collection of large scale Hawker single seaters.  Next off the blocks is either a Special Hobby Tempest II to sit next to the V, or... (gulp) a Fisher Model Pattern Sea Fury, imported at ludicrous expense from New Zealand...

y4mGgn-kwvw0FM2ROB4RcVd2035X2eXdFHtwPJzi

Th-th-th-th-that's all, folks!

• Like 35
  • Thanks 2

A very nice Nimrod biplane there.  All the Hawker Fury stable from Sydney Camm's pen were lovely aircraft and you have done justice to one there.

There is enough room in the cabinet for a Sea Fury too methinks.  And a shelf below for a 1/32 Fury, Hart and Demon

• Like 1

To these old eyes, that's a Corker. I never ever had the guts to attempt anything pre-WW2, so anyone that does and achieves that kind of result deserves a medal in my book.

Regards

Pete

Splendid job. Terrific type. I've been waiting for a Lukgraph bipe to appear in these pages. You've prompted me to start putting some pennies aside for one of these.

11 hours ago, Maginot said:

Splendid job. Terrific type. I've been waiting for a Lukgraph bipe to appear in these pages. You've prompted me to start putting some pennies aside for one of these.

You won't be disappointed! A little care is required, but I think that really goes with the biplane territory. I quite fancy an ICM Gladiator when I run out of Hawkers... 

• Like 1

I quite fancy an ICM Gladiator when I run out of Hawkers... 

Yes, I have one in the cupboard. I've only gone through the box contents and read the instructions but it looks super quality and I read good reviews of it.