lancasters with paddle props , no fuselage windows and equiped with H2s

gunpowder17

What books if any do you have on the Lancaster?

There are plenty out there that will provide suitable pics but it depends upon what you already have and how much you want to spend so It's difficult to recommend a particular one. Also bear in mind that colour profiles in books/publications can be less than accurate.

Regards

Colin.

Ps. The Garbett & Goulding 'Lancaster At War' combined volume (volumes 1 & 2) is quite cheap and would be a good start point

5 hours ago, gunpowder17 said:

with paddle props , no fuselage windows and equiped with H2s please?

Lancaster PA280 9J-P of No. 227 Squadron RAF at Strubby 27 April 1945, note extensive removal of rear turret Perspex and yellow outline codes

Lancaster_PA280_9J-P_227_Sqn_Strubby_270

front

Lancaster_PA280_9J-P_227_Sqn_RAF_Strubby

also large nose blister

from

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/uk/raf/lanc/

There must be more....    I suggest editing you question header to "a lancaster with paddle props , no fuselage windows and equiped with H2s"  which makes what you want clear at a glance.   

Likely to find more post war options as well. 

Edited by Troy Smith
additional notes
  • Like 1

Just to add that you may need to enlist the help of our resident Lanc experts in terms of when certain mods were introduced as quite often in photos you can see/determine the prop type and H2S blister but not the windows and in others the windows and the blister are visible but not the props. However if you know the serial number that would help to clarify the likely details.

Regards

Colin.

2 minutes ago, fishplanebeer said:

A very good start would be R5868 'S' sugar at Hendon which meets all these requirements although perhaps you are looking for a less famous example?

Regards

Colin.

Depends "when" with R5868,  were the paddle blades a wartime fit?  And the no windows were after a major servicing.   But, as preserved, R5868 has all these features.   

These are worth a read, and seems that R5868 got paddle blade props late war from the first link

Like all Lancs that survived long enough to require a major service the airframe was broken down into its key components with only the nose section retaining its original identity, R5868 being a good case in point. It would then have had completely different sections from those it originally came off the production line with, plus incorporating all the various mods that had been made since that time such as paddle blade props, enlarged bomb aimer blister, H2S blister and even Packard Merlins as well possibly, although that is another subject previously discussed.

I think, and I could be wrong, but roughly half of the Lancs produced were either lost or written off so many never got to this stage, notwithstanding the fact that many may/were upgraded during their service life, so again at some point in their life they would not be as they were when they originally left the factory. The best bet as always is to find actual photos, or failing that consult the serial number register to pick a late production model which would very probably have had the mods you are looking for. A good example being PP687 in the Garbett & Goulding book which was a late production B.1 made at Castle Bromwich and served briefly before the end of the war with 149 squadron.

HTH.

Regards

Colin.

You can scroll through all the IWM Lancaster photo collection here:

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/search?query=Avro Lancaster&pageSize=&media-records=records-with-media&style=image

Just click on the images that look interesting. Then you can make them bigger, too.

Chris

• Like 2

Just have to comment on the Lancaster posted by Troy.

Check out those panel lines! And the lack of glazing on the rear turret. I can almost hear the comments if you built that one as is in the photos and took it to a club meeting or model competition...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• gunpowder17 changed the title to lancasters with paddle props , no fuselage windows and equiped with H2s
11 hours ago, WhitleyZ6743 said:

Thanks Dan , i think i have found one suitable. BQ-M2 NG243. 

16 hours ago, gunpowder17 said:

Can anyone give me any details or photos of a lancaster with paddle props , no fuselage windows and equiped with H2s please? Im driving myself mad!

Most, if not all of your questions are addressed in detail in Wingleader Photo Archive numbers 5 and 15.

Having read everything about Lancasters that I could get my hands on since 1959, I would consider these two publications the most complete,, well researched and profusely illustrated works.

Michael

• Like 5

Yes...I did have both wingleader books , but after getting fed up with my HK lancaster i sold the kit and the books , telling myself i wouldnt build another 1/32 lancaster. I then caved in and bought the Border kit............but no longer have the books! D'oh!    Curse my butterfly mind. How i make decisions on a daily bases is anyones guess ! 🤪🤯🤡

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, gunpowder17 said:

Yes...I did have both wingleader books , but after getting fed up with my HK lancaster i sold the kit and the books , telling myself i wouldnt build another 1/32 lancaster. I then caved in and bought the Border kit............but no longer have the books! D'oh!    Curse my butterfly mind. How i make decisions on a daily bases is anyones guess ! 🤪🤯🤡

A characteristic of some of us modellers brother! :) If I had a dollar for all the times......

• Like 1