Tim goes all Capricorn One - ESCAPED

This kit, as suggested in the chat thread. 

No concerns about detail like wrong engine please - just sit back and enjoyTelly Savalas is EPIC!

Lots of quotes and plot spoilers, so if you haven't seen this 1978 film yet - you know what you have to do.

Kit,  Classic Revell

00-Revell-Kaydet.jpg

Parts

01-parts.jpg

Instructions

01-header.jpg

01-instructions.jpg

Fortunately Albain is wearing a flying helmet, so I don't have to replicate Telly Savalas' polished bald bonce.

Caulfield is bare head with curly black hair, which should be doable.

I'm scouring my stash and spares for a figure to represent Brubaker on the wing.

First my favourite quote from the film - right at the start.

In a Texas Drawl:  "It's that big tall white thing over there - you can't miss it!"

• Like 14

Well I've squandered 2 hours re-watching the film, taking notes on the costumes - epic.  I'll have to scratch a crop-dusting pod.

I'd forgotten just how superb Telly Savalas really was.  Only in the last 20odd minutes of the film - and steals the show.

I've painted the interior grey, but - "A funny thing happened on the way to Mars."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Well I've squandered 2 hours re-watching the film, taking notes on the costumes - epic.  I'll have to scratch a crop-dusting pod.

I'd forgotten just how superb Telly Savalas really was.

I've painted the interior grey, but - "A strange thing happened on the way to Mars."

Its been a while since Ive seen the movie. I don't remember if its a round or hourglass shape ? Having looked at photo’s just now I think a spitfire cigar tank and mount with a spray pipe behind should look just about right. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Now keep your goddam head down!"

Introducing Albain and Caufield

Albain in tired red overalls, a black leather jacket, and red flying helmet.  Set off with metal rimmed goggles and a straw coloured strap around his head.

Caufield bareheaded with curly black hair and sunglasses, a dark check shirt, brown tweed jacket, and darker trousers.

Aftermarket instrument panels for this kit.

05-figures.jpg

The pod is shown at start of A&A crop dusting services.

"Guess which 'A' I am!"

• Like 11

Whilst I send the crew figures back to their hairdressers, and spoil the plot

by pointing out that Brubaker ate a raw rattlesnake when Bear Grylls would have been 3 years old.

10-Airframe.jpg

The airframe tonight.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

"Let's follow them."

"I would if I could see!"     Guess which character is bitchin' like a long married couple . . .

Airbrush preparation, including a piece of sprue for holding and hanging up to dry.

Temp struts to hold and stand the upper wing whilst drying.
15-Spray-Prep.jpg

And airbrushed Humbrol 174 matt red.  This cropduster is VERY weathered.

20-H174-Red.jpg

• Like 8

My name is Albain.Now I got a son - you know the other A was for him.But he don't like to fly - he became a lawyer.  I think he's a pervert, so I took the A away from him.You want to speak to some in charge - you're speaking to both of them.

Decals for A&A.

25-decals-P.jpg

'A's leftover from a RAAF Huey, & a backwards 3 leftover from a Sea King.

25-decals-S.jpg

I just keep watching the final two scenes over and over,  it's epic!

• Like 8

"Pull that lever down by your feet when I tell you sonny!"  Guess who said that. . . 

Top wing fitted:

30-Top-Wing.jpg

This Stearman looks like it's got 8 spoke car wheels - found in spares.

I think they're from a Hellcat.

The dusting pod is long, thin and silver.  A targeting pod leftover from an F-16 fits the bill.

Metal prop, I just need the front of a bomb for the spinner.

• Like 4

"They've got guns."

"You want a third of the loot?"

"Half!"

Undercarriage, those leftover wheels, dusting pod and defuser

35-Undercarriage.jpg

Introducing the crew.
36-crew.jpg

and up onto those rims.  Engine fitted, Spinner scratched from the front of a bomb.

37-Up-On-Rims-P.jpg

Walkways painted on.

37-Up-On-Rims-S.jpg

• Like 9

"I'll give you 24 hours to come up with something - I saw the movie too!"

Rigging.  In this case mono-filament nylon wrapped around location points, secured with a drop of sugerglue.

Then highlighted by running a brush-full of acrylic paint. 

40-Rigging-P.jpg

Mentioning that this film starred OJ Simpson, well before the trial of the century.

Next to the weathering!

• Like 5

A very good, colourful rendition of the movie's airframe. I haven't seen the film for a very, very long time, but I remember the Telly Savalas character using the word "perv##ts" a lot, including one occasion to describe his business-partner (or was it his son?).  

Thanks for sharing with us. 

Chris.  

• Thanks 1

Great thread Tim 👍 will definitely have to watch this film again, I think I was about 9 when I last watched it so wouldn't have appreciated the half of what was going on! 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

A very good, colourful rendition of the movie's airframe. I haven't seen the film for a very, very long time, but I remember the Telly Savalas character using the word "perv##ts" a lot, including one occasion to describe his business-partner (or was it his son?).  

Thanks for sharing with us. 

Chris.  

Time for a re-watch Chris. . . 

He only actually calls 3 people "perv##ts"

One is his son - in an earlier post.

Second is Caulfield at end of the 'negotiation' over price for hiring the plane.

And a final insult to the attack helicopers just after he's lured them to crash.  But he does steal the show! 

24 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

That's come on a real treat Tim,great job on those extra's.

Extras!   Those are STARS!

Elliott Gould, rose from a captain in the original MASH film, to Jack Geller in Friends - then rounding off as Reuben Tishkoff in the Oceans series.

and Telly Savalas - Blofeld in OHMSS, the mighty Kojak.

Meteoric film careers for both of them.

"When does Allen Funt run in and tell us we're on Candid Camera?!?"

Heavily weathered, first a very thinned coat of light grey airbrushed over everything,  it's in a desert environment.

Then an very thinned coat of light brown, on underside behind that duster.

Finally a coat of lighter grey around the wheel treads.

Revell-Stearman-FP.jpg

Revell-Stearman-FS.jpg

Revell-Stearman-RP.jpg

Revell-Stearman-RS.jpg

Revell-Stearman-U.jpg
Which closes this build.  

Plot spoiler:  Brubaker gets away on the wing of this biplane, clinging to the rigging.

Closing scene is where Caulfield delivers him to his funeral memorial service, at what looks like Arlington National Cemetery.

I'm trying to modify a figure as Brubaker clinging to the wing, and will post another photo if successful.

• Like 8

Not a film I've ever seen, but one I'll be tracking down for sure after your build thread. Highly entertaining from start to finish and a perfect example of why I enjoy Group Builds so much.

• Thanks 1

On 7/8/2022 at 4:41 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

The plane is looking great … I Just visited the gallery and im only seeing a Blue box marked postimage ? Not sure whats up if its me, forum issue’s, or postimage ? 

Try again please,  I replaced the photos.

On 7/8/2022 at 4:50 PM, GAF said:

Great rendition of the Kaydet!  I admit, I haven't seen the movie.

Gary

On 7/8/2022 at 8:18 PM, TonyW said:

Not a film I've ever seen, but one I'll be tracking down for sure after your build thread. Highly entertaining from start to finish and a perfect example of why I enjoy Group Builds so much.

Time for you to borrow the DVD from somewhere.

The plot has a few holes and coincidences, and vast distances - but some epic quotes, and a star performance by Telly Savalas.