Douglas DC-4 propellers - Hamilton Standard blades

OK, I’m in need of an expert on DC-4 Hamilton Standard propellers…. 

I’m just about to embark on building the Revell 1/72 DC-4 and have discovered one of the propellers is missing a blade - the hub and the other two blades are there complete on the sprue, but one blade is missing and it isn’t loose in the bag / box 😬  I reached out to Revell but they say the kit is out of production and they haven’t any spares. I bought the kit several years back and really can’t send it back to the retailer as its sold out with them too (I accept I could try sending it back and ask for a refund which would probably be denied at this stage, and anyway buying a replacement kit from a supplier than still has it in stock would cost quite a premium). So, I’m kind of stuck. Fabricating a well shaper blade myself, such that it wouldn’t be noticed compared to the other blades, seems to be too much of a challenge. I’ve looked at the Quickboost blades on a UK retailers site and I’m quite prepared to but a replacement set, but which ones?  Wikipedia says the DC-4 has 13’ 1” (3.99m) diameter Hamilton Standard Hydromatic props - several other aircraft have similar Hydromatic props of differing sizes, but I can’t find any that use the same size as the DC-4 (although wiki doesn’t mention sizes for some aircraft).  I guess one approach, if I can’t source a suitable blade (or set of blades) is to do it with one engine exposed and with the prop off, and set it in a diorama with work stands, etc. But I’d prefer it complete. 

Hence why I need an expert. Anyone any ideas?  Is there another aircraft type that uses 13’ 1” diameter HS props - ideally a type which I can acquire 1/72 blades for? Bear in mind I really only need one blade, but that must match the other two on the hub once glued on and it should also match the complete sets on the other three engines

Thanks in anticipation

This original brochure quotes 13ft 2ins

https://www.deltamuseum.org/docs/site/aircraft-pages/dl_douglas_dc-4_brochure_super_deltaliner_1946.pdf?sfvrsn=4

Maybe an oop Aeroclub set would do it. Poss P084, quoted in my Aeroclub catalogue as for a ‘DC-4 etc’, but at 13ft6ins. An inch or two is small at this scale isn’t it ?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Skymonster said:

Thanks for the suggestion @viscount806x - I’ll see if I can find a set. I can live with a small scale variation from reality, as long as all the blades look similar.

One can always replace all four props with aftermarket ones (if obtainable of course).

Use C-47 props - they're similar enough. There are three different DC-3/C-47 props: the earliest needle-shaped blades, then a thickef-blade ones and finally the "paddle"-bladed ones. Check pictures on the object you're reproducing as to which ones to use :)

I converted a DC-6 to a C-54 thirty years ago - after looking at a number of pictures of the original I used C-47 props from Italeri's then-new tool C-47. they still look like the part today 😇

Cheers, Moggy

If you can't find anything closer to home, I should have a few prop sets (both needles and paddles) from the latest Airfix C-47 in the spares trough somewhere. PM me if you're interested.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Another possibility is to find someone in your area who does resin casting (or attempt it yourself).  One or two people in my local club do, so it may not be as unlikely as it sounds.  One blade (or a spare prop) wouldn't be hard to do.

Regarding Mach 2 C-54 props: I bought one as soon as it became available.

When I got it home from the Big H I discovered that 3 props were in pieces but Hannant's had supplied four Aeroclub white metal props without extra charge.

Apparently almost all the kits had broken props. The kit's props are copies of the Italeri C-47 "paddle"-bladed props. 🙄

So buying that kit for its propellers is not really an option - maybe you can find some kind modeller that would sell you the Aeroclub props :)

Cheers, Moggy

• 3 weeks later...

if you have a Hobbycraft DHC Caribou floating around, that should use the same propellers as the DC-4 ;)

Actually, just checking prop diameters on two kits: Italeri B-25 and the Revell C-54, the diameter of the props are actually very close (they aren't supposed to be in full scale, however the kitted dimensions are very similar and so is the chord shape of the props etc).

• Like 1

One blade is very simple to cast in resin. Just use a silicon from tube to do a form immersing in one blade of whole propeller till the hub and after about a week or 10 days take it out and then pour inside a vain in form a resin glue, the best are a hard one with slow fixing. Then attache this extra blade using a tinny metal rode (drill a hole in hub and in prop blade) and CA glue ... You can cast also whole prop very easy.

Regards

J-W

Edited by JWM
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Huge thank you to @Ed Russell and Red Roo Models, who not only helped with my propeller problem but also got their excellent DC-4 fire bomber conversion to me from Australia in around one week (and no customs charge!). So thanks very much again Ed, I’ll be back to you for more stuff soon. Now I’m off to start my Buffalo Airways DC-4.

• Like 2