Red 4 X-Wing (Bandai 1:72) w/ build video

So I was in a creative rut the past few months, and just wanted to build a kit quickly. I had never done a Red 4 paint scheme, and so I went (loosely) in that direction with it. The yellow color is wrong. Came out more flesh-colored than yellow, but oh well. Went together easily. Only real add-on I did was 3D print an R4 droid.

Also made a build video of it, if you're into that:

And some of the final photos:

y6Td5Tk.jpg

y53w9kO.jpg

hCnrGYT.jpg

Thanks for looking!

SB

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Lovely build, and the video is really well filmed. Seeing the build and techniques being done is invaluable, particularly if it's done with good lighting, clarity and sound like yours, so thanks very much!

I have one in the stash that I'm really looking forward to after this. Is there a transparent canopy piece that you chose not to use?

10 hours ago, Ngantek said:

Lovely build, and the video is really well filmed. Seeing the build and techniques being done is invaluable, particularly if it's done with good lighting, clarity and sound like yours, so thanks very much!

I have one in the stash that I'm really looking forward to after this. Is there a transparent canopy piece that you chose not to use?

Thank you! It's often a challenge to build when there's a camera right in front of your face, but it's worth it! And regarding the clear canopy, yes there is one. I went through the trouble of masking it and everything but decided to use the frame version instead. 

Thanks for watching!

SB

48 minutes ago, Ventsislav Gramatski said:

An excellent build! I actually saw it yesterday on the RPF. Always nice to see one of the leaser known schemes of Red Squadron, and the R4 3d printed droid is quite nice.

What colour did you use for the yellow sections (canopy frames, etc.)?

The yellow is a mix of Tamiya desert yellow and white. I got the ratio totally wrong, though. On the studio scale model it's much more yellow. But I couldn't be bothered to go back and re-mask everything and paint it again :P

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2022 at 1:09 AM, Uncle Monty said:

Very nice build. The weathering around the engines is particularly effective.

Thank you! Looking at it now, there are a few things I could improve around there if I would have given it more time, but thanks!

SB

• 1 month later...