Revell 1:72 Merlin HC.3

After recently finishing my Junglie, I decided I wanted to make its (somewhat) replacement (If I know correctly the junglies were actually replaced by Merlin HC.4s which were upgraded HC.3s handed over to the navy from the air force, please correct me if I'm wrong). Either way, main reason I decided to make a merlin next is the two just look so damn good next to each other.

facb72b155d6173c364a3ac314231b04.jpg

Credit goes to the Fleet Air Arm Officer's Association for this photo  https://www.fleetairarmoa.org/gallery-commando-helicopter-force

I will also post the websites I am using as references.

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/howard_mason3/eh101_merlin/

https://b-domke.de/AviationImages/EH101.html#Merlin_HC3

I am also using references from 3D models in the game Arma 3 and Flight Simulator X (only loosely, both of these games can't be fully trusted for references but are nonetheless useful)

I'm aware there's also a britmodeller thread of references, if I can find it again I'll add it to my list.

Anyway, I digress, today (or technically yesterday as I'm writing this past midnight as I just left the workbench), I started the kit, interior is nearing completion.

1c125649428f8570629cc30f450865bd.jpg

I must say, unfortunately this kit is quite poor quality, plenty of stuff that needs/will need fixing.

That's a problem for another time though, off to sleep.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, billn53 said:

How many days for this one, I wonder…

Well, I'm on my summer break now so I have plenty of time and recovered from covid so I should progress more rapidly.

However as I mentioned this kit has several problems I'll need to overcome.

I too am curious how quickly I'll finish though, however I don't think I'll beat the junglie.

• Like 2

Italeri really should have done better

Beware the windows, the kit has huge architectural framing but Merlin doesn't.

Depends how deeply you want to go, I usually go too far with this kit, there's another on the shelf next door ready to make into a Cormorant one day this or next year.

This picture depicts some of the window work I did for my Norwegian Merlin, the ,real windows are flush fitting with thin neoprene seals which I used a decal to depict.

P1010314.jpg

Yes it did clean up better than this, phew.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, perdu said:

Italeri really should have done better

Beware the windows, the kit has huge architectural framing but Merlin doesn't.

Depends how deeply you want to go, I usually go too far with this kit, there's another on the shelf next door ready to make into a Cormorant one day this or next year.

This picture depicts some of the window work I did for my Norwegian Merlin, the ,real windows are flush fitting with thin neoprene seals which I used a decal to depict.

P1010314.jpg

Yes it did clean up better than this, phew.

I applaud your effort, I unfortunately don't have the means to fix the windows but I try my best to fix other things.

To be honest the main thing that bothers me currently is the lack of seating. The kit only comes with twelve seats in the back and it just feels extremely empty. I subsequently made the sad decision that I'll just have all the doors closed (apart from the ramp).

Anyway, currently doing the final bits on the interior so fuselage should be closed up soon.

@perdu  as already mentioned, I can't fix the clear parts but I'm curious about this-

Did you modify the front windshield of your merlin(s)? I've heard the middle "spar" on the windshield is wider than in real life by quite a margin.

• Confused 1

Tonight's update:

I was hoping to get the fuselage together today and I'm happy to say I met that goal.

However, there are horrible gaps that need fixing and the cargo door broke due to the design of the kit (seriously, I wasn't playing with it, it just suddenly fell out as I was handling the fuselage).

I started filling and sanding. Plenty more to go until I can start painting...

23bcf7d059c38b20767c2231c77ca60d.jpg

For the sake of a photo I put her next to my junglie.

22aad93968fdc876b13e148a7b2cd472.jpg

Sure enough, they'll look good together.

Also, before anyone points it out, I agree that putting the refuelling probe on so early may be questionable but I decided it's going to make things easier overall if I'm careful enough, this is because more parts go on top of the probe that would be a pain in the butt to attach after painting.

(The windshield is merely dry-fitted)

Tomorrow I plan on hopefully finishing the arduous process of filling and sanding, we'll see how it goes though, there's a lot to do...

Edited by KingTiger435
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, KingTiger435 said:

@perdu  as already mentioned, I can't fix the clear parts but I'm curious about this-

Did you modify the front windshield of your merlin(s)? I've heard the middle "spar" on the windshield is wider than in real life by quite a margin.

To be fair I had not noticed any such thing and before this nobody pointed such a thing out.

P1010391.jpg

Looking at the kit screen I can see a width of some girth but I think on my next one I will only add a central rib to it and use the moulding as the seam edgings on the real thing.

https://i.postimg.cc/B6RsHSGb/P1130003.jpg

There are far bigger things less than good about the model, this is one of the lesser things

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, perdu said:

To be fair I had not noticed any such thing and before this nobody pointed such a thing out.

P1010391.jpg

Looking at the kit screen I can see a width of some girth but I think on my next one I will only add a central rib to it and use the moulding as the seam edgings on the real thing.

https://i.postimg.cc/B6RsHSGb/P1130003.jpg

There are far bigger things less than good about the model, this is one of the lesser things

I do agree it's a very small detail but I remembered seeing it on a BM thread once and I wanted your opinion on it.

Filling and sanding is almost done this afternoon (thank goodness). I have started painting some bits.

However, from one problem to another...

I have no flipping idea how I'm going to make the ramp look nice, massive gaps:weep:

d50401d51fb246ef59648f00f63c2e13.jpg

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm considering just fixing it in the "open" position once the model is done and then I wouldn't have to deal with this...

1 minute ago, KingTiger435 said:

I'm considering just fixing it in the "open" position

I did!

P1010015.jpg

The stays got bent by the flexing of the photographic grass area, now straightened.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, perdu said:

I did!

P1010015.jpg

The stays got bent by the flexing of the photographic grass area, now straightened.

I think revell is going to force my hand here, going to have it open.

Are the stays always there/on all helicopters?

I found evidence that suggests no but I'm not sure

6236915eb9e92cdf5afca64027a883ee.jpg

Also I wish I found this toyota article earlier, funnily enough it has good references

https://media.toyota.co.uk/toyota-pick-up-up-and-away/

I think I'm going to do the "middle" position for the ramp, this one will need stays but hopefully not too hard, I have wire somewhere...

603920b0bf3d608556c8f85e1e57accf.jpg

Photo credit Lukas Tomes on Czechairspotters.com

• Like 2

Very little progress today so far because I'm sick... again. At least it's not coronavirus this time, just a cold presumably but been tired all day. I assembled the rotor and painting is coming along now.

• Sad 2

In answer to you question CHF recieved Crab mk3 and 3a .

There was an mk3i or i Mk3 depends who you ask of which  a number of mk3 were fiitted with interim maritime mods  whilst the others were converted to mk4 /4a standard followed by the Mk3i.

Its a little more complex than that but thats the gist.

Toffa will know more.

As for the ramp....most of the time ramp half way position in flight.

Bloody hate the things 😒 but a helicopter is better than no helicopter 👍

Edited by junglierating
  • Thanks 2

I should probably do a little progress update at least.

Considering the last photo I posted, it looks like a lot of work has been done but frankly it doesn't feel like it. Still quite a bit to go with this kit... (Rotor is dry-fitted of course)

a2ad8bb68d8990367739b787283838a9.jpg

She's getting there though, hopefully painting will conclude within the next few days.

Also, before anyone points out, the top of the windshield is not blackened out, I darkened it but from some angles it looks a bit opaque.

I digress, the mystery illness I had on Tuesday only really prohibited progress that day and things are back on track I'd say.

More updates soon (hopefully)

Edited by KingTiger435
  • Like 2

Re. KingTiger435.

The restraint cables on the ramp are only needed if the ramp is open in flight so the crew can stand there safely, or have a GPMG fitted.

If the ramp is in contact with the ground for loading purposes, then the cables are not fitted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@junglierating Thank you for sharing that website those are some awesome photos, very useful reference material.

Do you by any chance know why some merlins have a winch whilst others don't? This isn't a very important question, more so out of curiosity.

A whole bunch of progress made today!

I made some panels a different shade of green to make it more interesting and similar to real life

I added the smaller details and the ramp

I completed painting and put on a pledge layer

Decals have been started!

5e76d524cc7c6a2746f13cb68fc687ed.jpg

Safe to say I'm on the home stretch now!

• Like 3

On 7/7/2022 at 12:50 PM, junglierating said:

https://www.seaforces.org/marint/Royal-Navy/AIRCRAFT/Merlin-HC4-RN.htm

There are some hoofin phots on here if you haven't seen them already 

Thanks for the link, great images for my next Merlin build (after my green one). We have an 847 squadron reunion in Bristol later this year, we're looking at getting a visit to the unit. Looking forward to crawling over one or two of the cabs.

Colin