BMW 507 Cabrio 1957 - Elvis Presley's one - Based on a Revell old kit 1:24

Afternoon, guys :)

Well, a final hinge has been fabricated and tested.
All works smoothly and fit perfectly.
Moreover, the hinge is adjustable and the door can be removed as many times it's needed .

I've made the tests on the broken bodywork , and now, it remains to fabricate a second one for the right door.

Then, I could begin to cut the doors out on the second body, one by one.

I've used:
- 0.8 m brass tube, 0.6 mm inner diameter
- 0.6 mm steel wire
- various twizzers to shape the wire in order to form the hinge
- Adhesiv gum to fix temporarily the branches of the hinge inside the door
- 2 mm square plastic rod, in which I dug a 0.8 mm groove on the milling machine, to trap the brass tube of the hinge inside the bodywork.

- Masking tape to maintain the door in the right position, while I was adjusting the hinge by the inside

Some photos in chronological sequence will explain you the process  better than a long speech :)

52382225347_50f8ecf980_c.jpg   52382225317_365f26ccf6_c.jpg

52383163516_3949f4bf47_c.jpg   52383403128_85b9579926_c.jpg

52383587055_0288e369b8_c.jpg   52383473244_dd20765d08_c.jpg

52383473709_77ef665dcf_c.jpg   52383403148_708f7cd2ac_c.jpg

52383587125_3d5effac29_c.jpg   52383473619_79277a94ca_c.jpg

52382225282_7b13fdaafa_c.jpg   52383473609_70d842ae54_c.jpg

52383473534_f22c3ae209_c.jpg   52383473584_b285263fe1_c.jpg

52383403003_b802e6bbee_c.jpg   52383403063_cbf02fa8de_c.jpg

52383403113_1619003b2e_c.jpg   52383587080_078a1d678e_c.jpg

52383626915_4bb74e577b_c.jpg

That's all for now, guys :)

• Like 11

12 minutes ago, Fnick said:

Well as the saying goes a picture is worth a thousand words so 19 pics is um lots! 😄

Great sequence of pictures!

Nick 

Thanks a lot, Nick :)

And YES, in one way or another, I'm always talkative ! 🤣

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, hendie said:

Very nicely executed. I think I may steal that idea for my T2 build

Thanks so much for your kind word, Hendie, much appreciated, coming from you 👍

And there's no theft at all. I'm happy that my work could help and/or be inspirational for honorable members of this forum :)

9 minutes ago, Neddy said:

Great design, brilliantly executed.  The door looks and hangs just right and the built-in adjustment facility is inspired. 

Thanks so much, Neddy, for this huge praise :)

Hello everybody :)

The first hinge on the driver's door is definitely fixed on the bodywork and on the door, but remain removable :)

The door position in the door aperture is perfect 😎 thanks to the method I used to place it !

- It's been positioned exactly, and checked repeatedly, and maintained with crystal tape on the outside AND the inside
- When this done, I've marked the brass tubes position on the inside of the door with a fine point marker
- And put on the places UV curing putty
- Then I've spin the hinge until he tubes sunk in the putty,
- And  put more putty from above the tubes
- At last, cured the putty with UV lamp during 5 minutes

- And that's done !

52388158199_ab68d22988_c.jpg   52388158204_f4fb913f7a_c.jpg

52386922632_2346f4378f_c.jpg   52387850526_e795801298_c.jpg

52388158154_4ac8babf6a_c.jpg

The same method will be used now for the passenger's door, when I've cut it out...

Stay connected if you like. 😎

• Like 14

56 minutes ago, Neddy said:

Oh I will, I'm not missing this for the world...

That's a beautiful snug fit and the alignment is perfect.  Excellent work even by your standards.

Thanks Neddy, I've been very careful and have the my time to get such a result.

The second one is on the way to be pretty too :)

• Like 1

Evening gentlemen :)

Not without difficulty, I finished cutting the doors and installing the hinges.

Of course, the first one, on the driver's side, found it clever to unglue partially of the inside of the door. So I had to fix that.... then the passenger door did the same to me. 😡
This was also remedied, but in the long run it became tiresome !

I thought that the curved  parts of the hinges would not be a problem when installing the tub, but alas, that was not the case! 🤔
So I had to use the Dremel with a suitable cutter to give some clearance  for the hinges.

The "damage" caused on the front vertical wall of the bathtub, on the right and on the left, will be repaired from the inside, by gluing a 0.18 mm plastic sheet.
Also, the inner parts of the doors were bumping against the curved part of the hinges, so I had to cut off a little bit of the front part to give the hinges some room.

The lack of material that this causes will be filled by the same plastic piece as for the vertical wall of the tub, and you will see later, that this little cheat is no longer accounted for. 😎

52389377719_599bb8e344_c.jpg   52389316683_49b010ba65_c.jpg

52389498270_2f26ec414b_c.jpg

Now, it's time to fill the gaps between the bodywork and the tub....

Stay tuned for next episode :)

• Like 12

On 7/4/2022 at 2:01 PM, CrazyCrank said:

Thanks @Noel Smith, but, sorry for my poor English , I don't understand "if your others are anything to go by"

“anything to go by” = “an example.” (In this case, an example of your past work. And I agree with Noel Smith!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

“anything to go by” = “an example.” (In this case, an example of your past work. And I agree with Noel Smith!)

Thank you so much, @Space Ranger for this explanation . 👍

I must apologize for not having understood earlier, because I could have checked with a specialized translator like "Linguee", which I often consulted until a few months ago,  when I was facing difficulties, and which I shamefully abandoned because I thought I began to be doing well enough in English.
This language is said to be a simpler language to master than French, but this is not the case, as there are so many idioms, and deceptive cognates (For instance, if you translate literally from French into English our expression for "deceptive cognate", which is "faux amis", you get "False friend" !).

And thank you so much for your agreement with Noel Smith. Now I understand, I'm much more moved by this compliment :)

• Like 3

Your English is really very good, I can assure you!  Online translators have their limitations - when I was working I worked closely with a German company making industrial process control computers back in the day and technical documents translated from English to German and (once amended) back to English could yield some spectacular cock-ups.  "Hard disk" re-translated became "metal plate", for example!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Neddy said:

Your English is really very good, I can assure you!  Online translators have their limitations - when I was working I worked closely with a German company making industrial process control computers back in the day and technical documents translated from English to German and (once amended) back to English could yield some spectacular cock-ups.  "Hard disk" re-translated became "metal plate", for example!

Thanks Neddy :)

My written English maybe, but I can assure you I'm not  fluent .
When you're writing, you' ve all the time, but when you're speaking, it's not the same story. 
I'm improving my spoken English while practicing when I visit my son in West Montreal, because his wife as her family and relatives are natively anglophone, and their friends too .

That said, I'm good enough to discuss a little bit of everything with English-speaking Canadians when they make the effort not to speak too fast, and to deal with most everyday situations, the most important of which is being able to order a beer and some ribs or fish-and-chips 😎

• Like 3

13 hours ago, CrazyCrank said:

This language is said to be a simpler language to master than French, but this is not the case, as there are so many idioms, and deceptive cognates (For instance, if you translate literally from French into English our expression for "deceptive cognate", which is "faux amis", you get "False friend" !).

Funnily enough, the only time I've heard the term 'false friend' used in relation to language was by my old French teacher, in that case for words such as 'journee' which sound as though they should mean something totally different in English to what they do.

Anyway, I know "Je voudrais un grande biere s'il vous plait" - is anything else necessary? :)

18 hours ago, Spiny said:

Funnily enough, the only time I've heard the term 'false friend' used in relation to language was by my old French teacher, in that case for words such as 'journee' which sound as though they should mean something totally different in English to what they do.

Anyway, I know "Je voudrais un grande biere s'il vous plait" - is anything else necessary? :)

Yes of course: ribs with fried potatoes or fish and chips :)

And also a ton of almond paste and good friends to share it 😋

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Pascal said:

Excellent eye for detail and simply stunning how you make all those tiny and fragile parts.

Looking forward to the next update.

Sincerely

Pascal

Thank you very much for this nice compliment? I'm happy you like my work :)

• Thanks 1

Evening guys :)

Little update , but a lot of work !

I've put the set bodywork/ tub on the chassis to check that, once this was done, the doors could always open and close smoothly, and that they are always correctly placed !
Fortunately, it was the case !

So, I've removed the set of the the chassis and began to close the gaps between bodywork and tub with styrene sheet.
I can say that is a time consuming and difficult job.
All the parts have to be fabricated without any other guide than the eyes, and have to be cut out and adjusted little by little, what required a lot of tests fitting.
The most difficult has been the piece that fill the space between the rear of the door aperture and the tub, because its shapes are a bit tortured .
One important thing also has been taken in account to realize this job: When later on I'll put definitely the painted bodywork on the painted chassis, I'll have to spread the lower parts  of the body, particularly at doors level, and so, all the filling parts I've made are only glued on the inside of the body, not on the edges of the tub, obviously to allow the spreading !

Some shots of the end of this job (sorry I forgot to photograph all the steps )

52392918506_6ed9007793_c.jpg   52393348780_08dfe8771e_c.jpg

52391996572_61eaec4fc0_c.jpg   52393348760_1fcafbdcc9_c.jpg

52393348745_f2356c8b62_c.jpg

The job is done for the passenger's door and I've now to fix the little defects with epoxy putty.

The inside of the door fits now correctly, and has to be glued on the door. Then the gaps between these two parts will be filled.

See you soon for next update :)

• Like 13

Good evening guys :)

I've finished to fill the gaps between body and tub around the driver's door and I'm waiting for the epoxy putty to dry on the rear, before I can shape it properly.

No photos for this job, as it is the same as on the right side.

I began to work on the passenger's door :

- Yesterday  I've glued the inside panel on the door with epoxy putty, and I've had to wait until this evening before going on with this set.

- Today evening, so, I began to roughly fill the gaps between door and inside panel with pieces of styrene sheet.

- And also, before closing the gap between door and inside panel, on the rear of the door, I installed magnets inside the door, right against the plastic panel that closes the back of the door, and of course on the body, behind the plastic panel that closes the door opening.
   So when the door is closed, it no longer has a tendency to open by itself depending on the position of the car, since the magnets keep it closed.

- On the inside panel of the door, I drilled some 0.4 mm holes where on the real car there's stainless steel screws, and later, these holes will receive shorts pieces of Nickel-Chrome wire, with will simulate the screws.

- At last, on the armrest of the door, I dug a groove that is supposed to represent the hollow that allows the hand to grasp the door when you want to close it once inside the vehicle. It remains to dig it deeper.

Some photos of the job I did :

52407395948_c8a2cbd9e1_c.jpg   52406876231_dc4a7af2a4_c.jpg

52407169419_6ba6a66e69_c.jpg   52407169409_9c69d4f819_c.jpg

52407169524_00a8f1f250_c.jpg   52407316980_11e1b93ce5_c.jpg

52407317000_f23b7d1c63_c.jpg   52407389508_69defb7933_c.jpg

52407389278_8a6ce37731_c.jpg   52406876256_cffe99e892_c.jpg

Of course, all this isn't very sexy, I filled the gaps roughly with styrene pieces, since I've planed to enhance the result with Polyester putty 🙄

A short video :

So, see you soon for next step :)

• Like 10

This isn't just a build, it's a modelling masterclass.  It's the first time I've seen modelling magnets in action and answered one of my many puzzlements - how to keep car doors shut!  Many thanks for the tip.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Neddy said:

This isn't just a build, it's a modelling masterclass.  It's the first time I've seen modelling magnets in action and answered one of my many puzzlements - how to keep car doors shut!  Many thanks for the tip.

3 hours ago, Brandy said:

The magnets work beautifully. Great thought and execution has gone into this.

Ian

Thank you very much guys for the compliments, much appreciated as always and very motivating :)

Evening gentlemen :)

Well, the shaping of passenger's door is finished .

The last layer of putty has been sanded and the door is now ready for priming... which for sure could  reveal some imperfections that I'll have to fix !

52408637977_84d28884ea_c.jpg   52409154916_8e1b5de35b_c.jpg

52409438879_2198fbce5c_c.jpg

I've again improved a bit  the inside panels of the doors:

- They have two door pockets that you can open while pulling a leather strip.

- On the kit, these "handles" are represented, but there's a lack of realism, because the strips are tightly fitted against the panel.

- To give them more relief and realism, I've cut with a 0.15 mm Tamiya PE saw the bottom part of the strips, and lightly and carefully bend them towards the inside of the tub

52409139756_fbb205ec9b_c.jpg   52408637352_a8dce2bc02_c.jpg

52408637467_17cdff2e1b_c.jpg

The driver's door has furthermore undergone the same modifications as the passenger's one.

Its 2 panels have been cemented together with Epoxy putty, and this  must dry at least 24 hours before I can fill the gaps between them.

52409585140_866a66815f_c.jpg

In the meantime, I think I should have a go on the hood and the mechanism which retain it when it's opened...

The 2 doors fit perfectly and close smoothly, as I planned and hoped it would be 😎

52408637737_e273965114_c.jpg   52409585090_e25102bdcc_c.jpg

And now, some shots of the whole bodywork at its current state:

52409425594_999e6f2ea7_c.jpg   52408637902_4179ea74de_c.jpg

52409585100_0438a6ca52_c.jpg

Stay connected if you like, guys and thanks for watching :)

• Like 10

Adjusting the handles is something I wouldn't have even considered, which just goes to show how much detail you're putting into this. It's looking very good, and the detail here shows why all your models end up looking superb.

• Thanks 1