1/72 Rose-Rice Lancaster turret

Jonny

I know this is a long shot, but does anyone have a spare Rose-Rice Lancaster turret - the late WW2 twin 0.5 guns one?

I think this was included in the Airfix Lancater B.1 FE.  Ideally, I'd like as many of the components as possble but happy to consider the glazed part.  I'll pay any postal costs.

Please let me know via a direct message if you can help. 

Thanks (with crossed fingers!),

Jonny

I think you mean the FN82 turret. It's supplied with all the latest tool Airfix Lancasters so there should be plenty around:

Spoiler

A09007 - Avro Lancaster B.III (Special)

A50138 - The Dambusters Avro Lancaster B.III (Special)

A08001 - Avro Lancaster B.II

A08013 - Avro Lancaster B.1(F.E.)/B.III

A50158 - BBMF Collection

A50139 - RAF Bomber Command

A08013A - Avro Lancaster B.III

A50182 - Battle of Britain Memorial Flight

I don't think that extra turret in that Airfix kit is a Rose-Rice turret.

This is what a R-R turret looks like and it doesn't match with what's in that kit:

52189037030_032551bb0d_c.jpg

52187535727_5196b2dd20_c.jpg

The kit has is an FN.82 turret:

52188572681_e73e94be34_c.jpg

Chris

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, WhitleyZ6743 and dogsbody (Chris)! 

I feel a bit of an idiot!

Somehow I had a fixation that the two 0.5 gun turret was the Rose-Rice one and I forgot the FN.82.

I should have asked for an FN.82 ... I dug deep in my stash, found my Airfix Lancaster B.II and sure enough it includes the FN.82!  I think I might have the B.I/B.III kit too, somewhere.

Aplogies for wasting everyone's time and thanks to WhitleyZ6743 and to dogsbody (Chris) for being so gentle!

Mods ... would you please delete this thread?  I'll cringe every time I see it!!!! Thanks.

Jonny

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Leave this posting here. Someone else may be thinking the same thing as Jonny and this will be where they learn something.

Chris

Quite informative as I had never even heard of the RR Turret! I will move it to the WWII section for reference

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Julien said:

Quite informative as I had never even heard of the RR Turret!

some interesting info here

http://www.bphs.net/GroupFacilities/R/RoseBrothersGainsborough/index.htm#9

note only 227 were built, but seems a very good design.. More detail in link.

more surprisingly, the colour image @dogsbody posted 

52189037030_032551bb0d_c.jpg

is actually a film still from the Nightbombers film, which is the only colour film of a Lancaster operational base,  now helpfully up on youtube.  see here for link plus some background on the film

as this is on the Rose/Rice turret

replacement of rear turret with the Rose turret with 2 x0.50 guns, link to time. 

https://youtu.be/xAztJVoBTKE?t=127

Hope of interest.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Colin ...

I've read that with the original turret there wasn't room for the gunner's parachute, so it was stored in the fuselage.  All the poor devil had to do was centralise the turret, open the doors, retrieve his chute, clip it on, then revolve the turret to port or starboard and fall out backwards. 

I don't know if there was room in the Rose-Rice turret to stow the 'chute in it.  The turret certainly looks roomier than the FN turrets.

I'd be interested to know if indeed the gunner could bail out through the front as you suggest.  Anyone know for sure?

1 hour ago, Jonny said:

...I'd be interested to know if indeed the gunner could bail out through the front as you suggest.  Anyone know for sure?

Certainly not for sure, but being a former skydiver, I know a bit about parachutes and such.

I'd venture the following: Unless the gunner was wearing a seat parachute, I'd say from the picture that he would be stuck between the guns and the perspex as the parachute would be clipped to the front of his body, increasing his girth considerably. 

Pure guesswork, but my 5 pence...

/Finn

47 minutes ago, FinnAndersen said:

Certainly not for sure, but being a former skydiver, I know a bit about parachutes and such.

I'd venture the following: Unless the gunner was wearing a seat parachute, I'd say from the picture that he would be stuck between the guns and the perspex as the parachute would be clipped to the front of his body, increasing his girth considerably. 

Pure guesswork, but my 5 pence...

/Finn

I have pictures demonstrating the technique of bailing out of this turret through the perspex.  The gunner had a seat that enabled him to wear his parachute at all times, and in fact the RR turret was so roomy compared to the FN turrets  that it could acccomodate two people in it, which was very useful for training gunners

Selwyn 

• Like 3

I think you (Selwyn) have cracked it!

I did a search and came up with this account  http://www.bphs.net/GroupFacilities/R/RoseB

I really was tooking for a two 0.5 guns FN turret - FN82 - but it's been really interesting.  I didn't know how versatile the Rose company was!

Live & learn, eh?

Jonny

1 hour ago, Selwyn said:

I have pictures demonstrating the technique of bailing out of this turret through the perspex.  The gunner had a seat that enabled him to wear his parachute at all times, and in fact the RR turret was so roomy compared to the FN turrets  that it could acccomodate two people in it, which was very useful for training gunners

Selwyn 

So was it a seat parachute they wore? Just curious.

/Finn

14 minutes ago, FinnAndersen said:

So was it a seat parachute they wore? Just curious.

/Finn

Finn,

If you use the link I provided you'll see this:

It had more room than in other types and it was possible to wear a back type parachute and so bale out of the turret. It was, however, very cold due to the cut-away Perspex, which left the turret completely open.

I think that answers your question!   I hope so, anyway!

Jonny

• Like 1

In terms of the temperature inside the turret apparently (see the link from Troy) it was only a few degrees lower and due to its shape was not drafty as it deflected the slipstream, so in relative terms a much more 'comfortable' turret than the FN versions. And as already mentioned it was roomy enough to accommodate two gunners which is quite significant having sat in the FN82 turret of 'Just Jane' where cramp would have been a major issue given its restricted confines!

Regards

Colin.

I had understood that the company that produced the RR turret had production difficulties. Is anyone able to confirm this is correct? How did the FN82 turret and the BPE turret both with the same armament as the RR turret compare? They seem to have been produced on a larger scale .

13 minutes ago, scotmid said:

I had understood that the company that produced the RR turret had production difficulties. Is anyone able to confirm this is correct? How did the FN82 turret and the BPE turret both with the same armament as the RR turret compare? They seem to have been produced on a larger scale .

read jonnys link above.

Selwyn

Many rear gunners removed the perspex in the rear turret of the FN versions in order to improve vision due to misting/frosting and the inevitable scratches that would occur so the 'open' nature of the Rose turret would not have come as an unpleasant surprise to them.

The Rose turret is akin in some ways to the MB.5 in that it was a wonderful design and would have been the best option but existing designs were already in mass production and able to meet the essential requirements. Plus as the war was very close to being won there was so no real need to change things and disrupt existing production lines which would soon be run down after VE/VJ day anyway.

Regards

Colin.

Edited by fishplanebeer
  • Like 1