Iraqi airways Ilyushin Il-76MD colours

Hi,

I'll be soon starting a new project with the Zvezda Il-76MD in Iraqi Airways colors. For the livery I have ordered the Fundecals set. The complex livery scheme consists of a lighter green "cheatline" decal and the upper fuselage dark green (so the Fundecals instructions claim) which has to be painted. As far as the dark green part I have my strong doubts. Even if Fundecals say that the color is definitely not black I have looked at numerous pictures at the Airliners.net site and in all the pictures the colour looks black and not dark green. Does anybody have any info or pictures confirming that the upper fuselage should be dark green?

Cheers,

Einar

9 minutes ago, Roger Holden said:

Definitely dark green. Their whole fleet was in that scheme. Google their 747s and 727s. There are numerous clear photos and it's quite obvious.....

Thanks Roger 

You're quite right, the 747 and 727 pictures show clearly that the upper fuselage is dark green..but I haven't seen any pictures of Iraqi Il-76's with such a clear green coloured upper fuselage. In every picture the upper side looks black. Could it really be so that all the Il-76 pictures are of bad quality or under exposed showing the green parts black?!

Einar

I was based at LHR when we had numerous visits of these, I think we had 5 one day ( forgive me if this is incorrect, it was a very long time ago). It was a mixture of Air Force machines and Iraqi Airways - these were definitely dark green, not black

SD

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roger Holden said:

Definitely dark green. Their whole fleet was in that scheme. Google their 747s and 727s. There are numerous clear photos and it's quite obvious.....

There should also be photos of the B707’s and B737’s knocking around. Very similar livery to the 76’s

SD

• Like 1

These photos were taken around the back of Baghdad International airport when I visited it in May 2003 for the recovery of one of our Chinooks that landed just short of the airport. Hope that this is of some help.

7MFt2X8.jpg

xjDuKmq.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jabba said:

These photos were taken around the back of Baghdad International airport when I visited it in May 2003 for the recovery of one of our Chinooks that landed just short of the airport. Hope that this is of some help.

7MFt2X8.jpg

xjDuKmq.jpg

Thanks Jabba,

This is a clear evidence of the dark green colour!

Einar