Canadian Tigermeet Starfighter

Lightningboy2000

Well I can't allow a year to pass without a Tigermeet jet to build.

CF-104 439.Sqn for the 1969 Tiger Meet at Woodbridge.

I've got this Esci kit with came with two sets of decals. Both have the Belgian & Canadian tiger markings.

I'll be using the Revell kit (only as it has slightly better surface detail) for the Canadian scheme.

Currently have a couple of other kits in other group builds on the go, so as soon as one of them is completed I'll start on this one.

52185162197_6a1dcc4417_h.jpg

52186669155_47d86dcedb_h.jpg

• Like 8

3 hours ago, zebra said:

Welcome to the GB, really looking forward to seeing this fantastic colour scheme, and glad I'm not the one who's going to be painting it!

Actually I'm quite perverse & am looking forward to masking it up!

Once you've experienced the overwhelming satisfaction of peeling off masking of that scale there's no going back! You need to do more!

I hand masked this a few years back.

1/72 AZ French Air Force Dassault Super Mystere B.2 1972 Tiger Meet Cambrai France

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Ditched the idea of using the Esci kit. Might save the sprues from that for another project another time.

So, decided to pilfer the sprues from the Revell kit as the surface details on this kit are far nicer.

Just the one pic showing rapid assembly. Nice kit goes together well & looks like minimal filling required.

Looks like the cockpit details in this kit are pretty adequate for the scale & the ejection seat won't be replaced by any resin as it looks OK to me.

Also looking for the Vinten VICOM pod to go with it.

52270561678_bad8504e93_h.jpg

• Like 2

This is the only 1/72 VICON pod that I've ever been able to find. I have yet to order, but need at least one for my Canadian Matchbox 104.

https://air-graphics.uk/shop/ols/products/ac-025-cf-104-vinten-vicom-recce-pod

Of course, if dimensions could be found, it's not that complicated a shape to make, but I've had trouble even finding photos of them online.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2022 at 1:14 AM, Rob G said:

This is the only 1/72 VICON pod that I've ever been able to find. I have yet to order, but need at least one for my Canadian Matchbox 104.

https://air-graphics.uk/shop/ols/products/ac-025-cf-104-vinten-vicom-recce-pod

Of course, if dimensions could be found, it's not that complicated a shape to make, but I've had trouble even finding photos of them online.

Thanks Rob, just ordered one off his website & another couple of bits to make it worthwhile. We'll see how long it takes to come in the post.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

managed to get one of these Airgraphic resin Vinten pods for it. Went for the clear resin so that I can represent the open clear camera apertures. Will use some black primer on it after i've filled the huge hole on the side which looks to me the results of the moulding process.

52318165684_b16d6fcb13_h.jpg

52318160209_761d2d425b_h.jpg

Fuselage went together quick & easy, but have to make sure the coaming around the intakes is lined up correctly with the front end of the aft fuselage section.

Just added some PPP filler just for insurance on the joins.

52318180670_f8812f607f_h.jpg

Until next time...

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Courageous said:

Something about a Starfighter, crack on.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart, I'll try & find the time to do a bit extra to it. Just got to finish my F-5E - needs it's decals. Oh & I've got a sneaky little 1/72 tanky thing on the go!

• 1 month later...
On 9/15/2022 at 4:14 PM, Paul J said:

This will be nice  but those ESCI decals or the Canadian one are way off the mark in all aspects.

Hi Paul, I'm still progressing with masking & painting this Starfighter. Unless I can find alternative decals I'll still be using these Esci decals. Going for 833. I would still be interested in what's wrong accuracy wise, not that it changes things & I've missed the deadline anyway. Give it a couple of weeks & I should get it finished.

Martin