New Eduard kits in 1/48 of warbirds like Zero, P-51 Mustang, 109 Messerschmitt etc.

dov

Hallo

Now that I'm working with kits from Hasegawa and Tamiya which are 30 years or older.

With lots of aftermarket products from arond the year 2000.

I have the comparison with the new Eduard Profipacks kits.

To be really honest, this is a new world.

Exakt details in cockpit and engine and gewar.

It doesn't matter whether I take a 109 Emil or Gustav, a Zero, a Mustang, these are really great kits.

Although I am one of the very critical modelers, I am simply enthusiastic about this.

Hence the question to the modelers community:

Am I missing something?

So Eduard published Gustav twice, once with a dimensional error or other inconsistencies.

In addition, the current Gustav.

So my question to you?

Are the current kits ok?

Happy modelling

• Like 1

Biased opinion here, but to me their post 2018 Profipack box kits are all the best value for money. 
Now,  even considering they do massive AM stuff for their own kits, with a few honourable exceptions, you can get the best results from the plastic alone.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, dov said:

Hallo

Now that I'm working with kits from Hasegawa and Tamiya which are 30 years or older.

With lots of aftermarket products from arond the year 2000.

I have the comparison with the new Eduard Profipacks kits.

To be really honest, this is a new world.

Exakt details in cockpit and engine and gewar.

It doesn't matter whether I take a 109 Emil or Gustav, a Zero, a Mustang, these are really great kits.

Although I am one of the very critical modelers, I am simply enthusiastic about this.

Hence the question to the modelers community:

Am I missing something?

So Eduard published Gustav twice, once with a dimensional error or other inconsistencies.

In addition, the current Gustav.

So my question to you?

Are the current kits ok?

Happy modelling

From what I understand the 109G still has a slightly to deep a nose, which most of us probably don't care about but it does mean the exhaust are way too wide which stands out. I bought some resin exhausts made for the Tamiya kit, which is also very nice, though they only do a G-6. If you want the best 109E go with the Wingsy kit. 

One effective way to mend those slightly oversized 109 F/G exhausts is to get a Quickboost replacement meant for the Hasegawa kits, these are much more well proportioned and you don’t need much fuss to get them installed after you finished painting the whole model first

• Like 1

Would agree about their !/48 Emil.  This was first released back in 2012, and it inherited the same shape and length issues from their 1/32 version.   A good decade later, the same molds continue to be pumped out, but this is what happens when the masses blindly support a model simply because of it's brand name.  

• Like 1

The early 1:48 Tempest V wasn't great; the more recent Tempest II/V are a whole different ballgame.

The 1:48 Spitfires are possibly the last words in that scale!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Welkin said:

The early 1:48 Tempest V wasn't great; the more recent Tempest II/V are a whole different ballgame.

The 1:48 Spitfires are possibly the last words in that scale!

Their first Tempest was released in 1997 or thereabouts and was one of their first non-WW I kits - one could say it was an entirely different Eduard then. It was short in the forward fuselage by some 5mm, and the plastic cockpit parts were useless - the resin in the ProfiPack was indispensable for the basic cockpit. The rest not really, as e.g. the wheels were simple single part copies of the plastic parts, with pathetically shallow „slots“.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tempestfan said:

Their first Tempest was released in 1997 or thereabouts and was one of their first non-WW I kits - one could say it was an entirely different Eduard then. It was short in the forward fuselage by some 5mm, and the plastic cockpit parts were useless - the resin in the ProfiPack was indispensable for the basic cockpit. The rest not really, as e.g. the wheels were simple single part copies of the plastic parts, with pathetically shallow „slots“.

Wasn't the wing also too thick IIRC? I love the new kit, they are a fun build but I challenge anyone to build one without at least breaking one of the cockpit frame tubes! 🤪

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, tempestfan said:

It was short in the forward fuselage by some 5mm

3 mm just behind the cockpit.

3 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Wasn't the wing also too thick IIRC?

yes, and the fin leading edge...cue much wailing and gnashing of teeth,  and half baked AM. 

All fixable 'with some modelling skill'  

see here, though the Jaguar upgrade had handy inserts for the fuselage and new wheels.

HTH

• Like 1

Age (of which - alas - I have plenty) gives perspective and context on this question!

To an guy who grew up on classic 1/72 and 1/48 stuff from Revell, Airfix, FROG, Hawk, Lindberg, Aurora, Monogram, early Japanese kits, et al, the current market is downright miraculous. I never cease to be amazed at the stuff released over the last few years...my biggest gripe is how the accuracy, detail, and engineering of newer kits can make old favorites instantly obsolete!

Sure, even now few kits achieve total perfection; we will inevitably have our complaints about the subjects we know best. But we older modelers definitely appreciate how the current state of the art has shrunk those complaints over the years. I'm not sure some of you younger tykes appreciate that! 😊

(On the specific subject of 1/48 Bf 109G's: if I wanted to do a single G-6 I'd go with the better-shaped Tamiya kit. But Eduard's more than acceptable accuracy, wonderful interior, superb surface detail, reasonable pricing, and especially the plethora of variants give them the overall win.)

Edited by MDriskill
  • Like 6

Yeah they are good! But I don´t mind building the Tamiya P-51D for example. or the Hasegawa.. Much, much simpler. But somethimes you need that. The Eduard bitz are really fiddly. I don´t always want that.

But then again.. I often have a goal to build a certain subject and am quite happy to "rush" to the outer stage to get my fav subjects.. So slow fiddling with inner details can be "frustrating". A bit weird perhaps.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2022 at 3:17 PM, Paramedic said:

A bit weird perhaps.

Not at all! I love simple good looking kits. Tamiya... Hasegawa... and many others that build more easily without a whole interior resembling a model on its own

5 hours ago, Milos Gazdic said:

Not at all! I love simple good looking kits. Tamiya... Hasegawa... and many others that build more easily without a whole interior resembling a model on its own

I agree with that too!

As nice as the current "state of the art" is, a lot of older kits still have plenty to offer. It's a matter of thinking through your goals for the build, and picking the kit that best matches. Not every model wants to be a hyper-detailed "contest assault vehicle."

To give a 1/72 scale example, Eduard's 1/72 scale Fw 190's are in most ways superior to my long-standing favorite, the Hasegawa kits. But for me at least, "weekend" builds the Eduards are not. If I wanted a nice looking 190 relatively quickly, or was doing a group build with friends or for my club, etc., Hasegawa is still the one.

Edited by MDriskill
  • Like 1