C-17 Stencils Help

VH-JEB

I am nearly all the way on an Anigrand C-17 but I am having problems with some stencils.

These are for a RAAF example but I imagine most C-17 aircraft have pretty much the same thing.

I have a custom-made sheet which has several items which are not on the instructions so I have no idea where they go. I have looked at walkarounds without any joy.

The obvious thing to do is to consult the decal producer - "It's so long ago, I can't remember. We never issued that sheet. Just put them anywhere or chuck them out".

None of these seem satisfactory solutions so I am having one last effort here.

They are very tiny and like many stencils almost unreadable but here is my best shot (I know some is gibberish)

30 and 45 ignore

36 - SEQUENCER AND

DEPENCER

CONNECTION ACCESS

46 - WARNING STAND CLEAR

APU AIR INTAKE

42 - CARGO COMPARTMENT

RAPID HOLD ACCESS

37 - GROUND

EARTH

HERE

31 - PRESSURE

CHECK

47 - EMM4E

18 LANDING GEAR HYDRAULICS

AND 

ENGINE FIRE EXTINGUISHER

SYSTEM

LANDING GEAR ACCESS

LIQUID                     BAY

CAP           27          GEAR

POL                          POWER

52186896017_2fff13af9e_k.jpg

Any help in working out where they go is most appreciated!

Edited by VH-JEB

My best suggestion would be to look for walkarounds online, most if not all maintenance stenciling should be stanardized for all operators.

You might also look for an online copy of the instructions for Revell's 1/144 kit - no idea how comprehensive its stencil decals are, but the kit itself is reportedly very accurate.

A few things to note:

NATO uses standardized symbology as part of their maintenance stenciling, so the various circles, diamonds, etc correspond to specific components/access points for systems.  So those are your best guide if the text of the stencils (photos or decals) isn't readable.

An image search for C-17 cutaway should turn up a drawing that shows the internal components labeled. This can help narrow down the area of the airframe, if not precise location, if you know the component you're looking for.

The APU on the C-17 is in the extented leading edge fairing of the starboard landing gear sponson.  I'm reasonably sure its intake is the NACA-style door (curved wedge shape) just forward of the bare metal area readily seen in walkaround photos, which brings up two more points:

- There may be stencils that were used on the original airframes but deleted after time in service (I cannot see any APU intake warnings in any photos of C-17s in service at least recently, i.e. last 10-15 years)

- If you haven't done some *major* corrections, there are a lot of features on the real airframe that Anigrand's kit doesn't include at all (e.g. the gear sponsons are symmetrical so no APU extension at all).

Thank you for your general advice.

General walkarounds generally do not get close enough to such a large aircraft to show stencils very well.

The Revell 1/144 instructions are not a lot of help.

Apart from the APU it is hard to relate the above stencils to components with any precision. I agree no pictures show a stencil near the APU intake.

Good point about stencils being only on early models.

The Anigrand kit does require a few corrections and these have been done.