Puff, puff, puff Puffer. Or a Clyde Puffer or VIC.

After enjoying the build of my Tiddler so much, I have started, which I didn't intend yet,  the Clyde Puffer by NeOmega. It's in the same scale 1/144 which I do like.

So, here we go with a few piccy's of parts, as you do.

p?i=879c17e5642520eba4b69c7d5373790d

Hull

p?i=b1e73302a5e579eaf36485487c1ba792

PE

p?i=4f9fd15ebb9a5df42b42950772b53ddf

The majority of the parts

p?i=1eb1496c2271cc9f7f2da6307ead1aed

Hatch sides and cover and the wheel and deck house.

p?i=b06df884cb3f6755393fed51d0af21b8

So far, I've made a start on the sea base and the hull, which I primed and then realised I had not attached the wash port covers.

p?i=553c1f2dbe24a94def7654876b02b3c7

The water is looking ok, but perhaps needs a bit more colour.

p?i=e6038bd9f34a588a58bc662fc2789d52

Anyway, that'll do for now, off to the primer can again.

Jon

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Mashing the follow button for this one,  but with that many parts I'm a bit surprised you haven't already finished her!

David

Ho,Ho,Ho. :giggle:

Jon

41 minutes ago, longshanks said:

Lovely Jubbly :penguin:

Kev

I’ve searched online for colour photos, but generally these boats were black. Do you know of any that weren’t ?

Jon

54 minutes ago, Faraway said:

I’ve searched online for colour photos, but generally these boats were black. Do you know of any that weren’t ?

Jon

The very top photo, if the top of that funnel is black, it doesn't quite seem to match the hull colour? But then looks are deceptive...

David

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Faraway said:

Jon

I see me thinking that it was hiding in plain sight was wrong, it's faded black, does seem like you're limited to black and red - with the level of the red rising and and falling in different boats, but then I found this site:

https://www.puffersandvics.org/puffer_index.htm

Some appear to be dark grey, light grey, red and black, grey and black, different coloured upperworks etc.

You might also find these sites useful:

Vic32

Pic gallery

Vic 56

Vic 96

Mary Hill

Spartan with fetching white superstructure

Old photos (Vic31 looks whitish)

Sorry went down a bit of a research rabbit hole, fascinating topic. Conspired to delete the link with really good detail of their hulls, but I'm sure you can find again from the above.

David

• Like 1

Take a look at the first link above there's a few variations on that red/black/white theme with various coloured deckhouses; of the rest:

Green

Glencoy

All red

Dawnlight

Glencoy

Glenrosa

White/grey

Anzac

Eilean mo Graidh 

Naiad

White topping

Basuto

Glenfyne

Red with blue? Topping

Vic9

(Some of the other blacks look bluish to me too)

Various

Vic72

Serious research rabbit hole earlier...

David

• Like 2

@Adm Lord De Univers 

David. 
I did find the Clyde Maritime site, but didn’t actually look too deeply at it. Thanks for giving me a nudge. Seems to me, unless I do a specific boat, I can use any colour I like, so.
I’ll be doing the deck RN Green, not quite decided on hull and deck house yet, but there will be white somewhere.

Main decision is so I build for a named boat or just go generic ?

As the saying goes ‘watch this space’.

Jon

• Like 1

The wheel house is occupied, the windows glazed and the roof on.

p?i=c0651d48e3d376c0905233a2cf64bb5f

p?i=8cf904b5d27e49fb61a61d716659eb59

The hull and deck painting is done.

p?i=ed7827d2b5969a012e4c433b7dd55365

Now, when it comes to rigging the mast and the boom, things are getting a bit silly. 

This is the drawing, which is clear enough, is fine. But HOW I'm supposed the attach any form of wire/cord to the pulleys, I have no idea.

They range from 2mm to 1mm dia. and 0.75mm to 0.32mm thick, how I'm to attach a line to the top and then around them fails me.

So I might be doing a bit of jiggery pokery and make me own.

Jon

p?i=feb0e2caadcc0eebc196c19c1c889e67

• Like 3

The hold hatch was supplied with just a planked cover, which didn't fit too well. So, I've covered it with a tarpaulin with a few ropes to hold it down.

p?i=0592683d362727add39ecec507878632

The wheel house is nearly finished, just need to add the two ventilators. And paint the navigation lights. And add a small PE bracket that becomes a support from the mast, when it is lowered AND add a small length of PE, which I think is a steam pipe.

p?i=755896afa74fc0d418a536903ae528e4

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:
On 7/5/2022 at 8:16 PM, Faraway said:

So I might be doing a bit of jiggery pokery and make me own.

You mean it won't be a working set of pulleys and ropes? For shame good sir!

He didn't actually say they won't work. I think we should give him the benefit of the (no)doubt and assume that they WILL work. Not to put pressure on Jon, of course. 😁 Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

It is with regret that I have to announce that the pulleys will NOT be working.

Sorry chaps, I know this is a huge disappointment, but hey, that’s life.

:giggle:

Jon

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Faraway said:

It is with regret that I have to announce that the pulleys will NOT be working.

Sorry chaps, I know this is a huge disappointment, but hey, that’s life.

Oh well, I'll just have to find another reason to get out of bed tomorrow. 😥 Regards, Jeff.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Oh well, I'll just have to find another reason to get out of bed tomorrow. 😥 Regards, Jeff.

Jeff.

I should be posting pictures of the finished boat tomorrow.

Is that sufficient you get you out of bed ?

Jon

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gidday, certainly. In fact I probably won't sleep with the anticipation so I might as well stay up. 🙂

In all seriousness this type of vessel obviously isn't the most glamourous but their work is all important. And they still make a nice model. Looking forward to seeing her. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, certainly. In fact I probably won't sleep with the anticipation so I might as well stay up. 🙂

In all seriousness this type of vessel obviously isn't the most glamourous but their work is all important. And they still make a nice model. Looking forward to seeing her. Regards, Jeff.

Jeff.

I sort of prefer these little boats, to the big ruftytufty bristling with guns warships. Just wish there were more kits of this ilk to be had.

This one has been a surprisingly quick build.

Jon

• Like 3

I've not used the resin mast supplied with the kit as it was far too bendy, so here is one I made earlier.

p?i=2d98baaec579fa358f79bde36e2c76ce

Once a flat has been filled on these little brass thingys, they will become pulleys.

p?i=9ae4db178d69b90552135f613025815e

And here they are, you must use your imagination a bit.

p?i=42e796e28eeb840bba765686fcb6351c

• Like 3

All done. 

A fairly quick build, there were not a lot of parts. But it went together well. Thanks to all of you who commented on this build log, I hope you enjoyed sharing it.

Jon

Gidday Jon, no imagination required, they look the part. Will you be stringing the wires between them? Regards, Jeff.

PS, your last post came through as I was typing this. But as it didn't have a photo I guess my question regarding the wires is still relevant.

• Like 1