Galland Emil-4 WNr. 5819

dov

Hallo 

I have two Hasegawa kits in 1/48 scale.

I have two options of kill markings: 57 (in red &black, or on white background) 82 in red & black

Both of them I want to build.

The a/c with 82 kills is the overhauled Emil in 76/75/74 colors.

The a/c with 57 kills is this still the a/c with original colors 02/65/71?

The spinner? When did it change to the pointed version?

Which details I have to be regarded too?

Happy modelling

WNr.5819 was Galland's most-photographed machine, which he used between 7.Sept. 1940 and 10.April 1941 (not exclusively, he did fly others).

He made his 52. claim on 15.November 1940, his last one for 1940 in 5819 (his 57.) 5.Dec. 1940.  It was at this time  (mid-November) that the GM-1 boost system was installed (two oval hatches on the port side of the fuselage, with fresh paint applied -- sorry, I can not insert a photo here), during which he used WNr.5966.  After that, he's spending more time in a Fi 156 than a Bf 109.  WNr.5819 was brought up to E-7 standard (drop tank rack installed), and he claimed a Spitfire the same day (4.April 1941, for his 58. claim).  His last flight in this one was 14.April 1941, a transfer flight, after which it was passed along to a school.

The rudder with 82 Abschußbalken reflects his later successes (he made his 59. & 60. claims with a Bf 109F-2, WNr.6714, on 15.April 1941), and were not present while he was using it.

You mentioned a "white background" for the 57 Abschuße, but I think it more-likely the background was RLM 65

Good luck with your ongoing projects, GRM

[Coming soon, Moelders' WNr.2804, or 3737 ?]

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One of the write ups I have on WNr5819 mentions that in mid-December 1940, it's finish was updated with the mottling down the sides, the addition of the Mickey Mouse emblem, and was fitted with the yellow pointed spinner. This writeup also states that he scored his 58th victory in this machine Dec 4th, 1940, a 64 Sqdn Spitfire.

Galland victories

This was my take, from a few years ago, using the Eduard kit ...

finished 3

Edited by Tail-Dragon
  • Like 4