Scorpion/Scimitar turret reference RFI

GMK

I’m looking to CAD up a CVR(T) turret…and don’t have much in the way of references. 

Really looking for anything atm, dimensions, drawings, angles, that kind of thing. 

Thanks in advance. 

The design rights for the CVR(T) series now belong to BAE Systems, but their land systems presence in the UK is now minimal.  Whether they would still have any archive drawings and how you might contact them are questions I cannot answer.

Bovington archives might possibly have some drawings, but more likely General Arrangement than detailed.  MOD and the Army generally did not want manufacture drawings as they had no need of them, except for those parts where competitive spare parts manufacture was permissible.

There is an Alvis military vehicles archive.  Their home page is here: https://alvisarchive.com/fighting-vehicles/.  They may have something.

The Blueprints website has some drawings of CVR(T) family members but they are of variable quality and there is no guarantee of accuracy, especially if scaling up.  They offer some as vector drawings that may scale up better.  https://www.the-blueprints.com/search/scorpion/

The turret is a complex shape with multiple plates of varying shapes, set a varying angles and with varying overlaps at joins.  Plus large weld seams.  Difficult to draw accurately from photos without taking your own measurements and angles.

• Thanks 1

These are proprietary products with no commercial application, so it isn't surprising that OEM information is not in the public domain.  And MOD wouldn't have the right to make it available even if they had it.  Access to intellectual property in defence products was the bane of my life for most of my 30+ years in MOD.  

The drawings hosted on Blueprints obviously come from somewhere, but are rarely if ever official and sources are rarely quoted.

I think if you want to be really accurate you will probably have to find a real one while equipped with camera, ruler and protractor.  Remember that the roof changed when BGTI came along, although I don't think that Scorpion ever got that.  There are accessible Scorpion and Scimitar currently on display at Bovington, but you won't be able to get to the turret roofs without seeking permission in advance.  But then what are selfie sticks for?  And parts of the turrets are hidden by bins.

• Thanks 1

Best bet is to find one with a museum or a private one and offer to make a donation for access. I have found this effective when taking photos for the walkaround section. 

Best I can do is this one at Cosford, at least good pics of the top are available

• Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 12:26 PM, Das Abteilung said:

There are accessible Scorpion and Scimitar currently on display at Bovington, but you won't be able to get to the turret roofs without seeking permission in advance.  But then what are selfie sticks for?  And parts of the turrets are hidden by bins.

Thanks. Very familiar with IP in Defence. Good times. Haven’t been to Bovington since 2013, though in my defence, it’s 17,142km from where I am as the crow flies!

39 minutes ago, Julien said:

Best bet is to find one with a museum or a private one and offer to make a donation for access. I have found this effective when taking photos for the walkaround section. 

Best I can do is this one at Cosford, at least good pics of the top are available

Great pics - thank you. 

• 2 weeks later...