Nachtjagd - Revell 1/72 Ju-88c-6c (H-165) [done]

Putting my oar in :P

I recently found the remnants of a previous attempt in my youf so why not use this opportunity for a do-over?

The 1974 Revell Ju-88C-6. 

y4mWsqTj9cSW3uvynl5uMQpfCGH08TIMiOTn16tP

Some slight warpage in the plastic, but nothing that can't be fixed. Oh, and flash. 

Another sign this box is from a different era :

y4mbgZbblVyyQBPyn0AA8uoX9utuZ7fFtvZ7UQuN

While the markings match those for Major Heinrich Prinz zu Sayn-Wittgenstein's final flight with NJG.2 and even have rudder adornments, they are quite yellowed and cracked. 
They probably will need replacing - haven't made my mind up yet with what :)
There are earlier schemes depicted for a Ju-88C-6 with the earlier FuG 202/212 radar set, which could be available from OWL.

Fortunately mounting the antenna is one of the last steps in the build sequence anyway. 

• Like 10

Watching with interest.

I got one for the "Kit You Built As A Kid" GB but I didn't get a chance to make a start on it. It's sitting in the stash looking at me...

Different box though:

Ju881

John 

• Like 4

And we're off. 
Relatively simple kit, but needs a lot of cleanup and alignment of slightly warped pieces. 
I've stuck the fuselage halves in some warm water and they're now cooling off with some weight on top to reduce the banana effect (which created a big split in the top fuse)

Otherwise, wings, tail surfaces, engines all together either awaiting putty & sanding or dolled up in RLM66. 

y4mhOl63nGJnr3nuaNeXlUGSLSwzDlDcv6ZaqXxB

• Like 7

On 01/07/2022 at 17:19, alt-92 said:

Another sign this box is from a different era :

y4mbgZbblVyyQBPyn0AA8uoX9utuZ7fFtvZ7UQuN

While the markings match those for Major Heinrich Prinz zu Sayn-Wittgenstein's final flight with NJG.2 and even have rudder adornments,

as in the swastikas?   I have a couple of 60's UK Revell kits which have no swastikas, a He219 just omits them,  and  the Fw190 replaces with with a cross and a comment about it(I'll add it in an edit) 

On 01/07/2022 at 17:19, alt-92 said:

they are quite yellowed and cracked. 

Try the zip bag on the window. and some Microscale decal film...  Worst that will happens is it won't work...

From what I can see the basic shapes look good.

cheers

T

• Like 1

On 7/1/2022 at 5:19 PM, alt-92 said:

While the markings match those for Major Heinrich Prinz zu Sayn-Wittgenstein's final flight with NJG.2 and even have rudder adornments, they are quite yellowed and cracked. 
They probably will need replacing - haven't made my mind up yet with what :)

I think I've got a decent one of these sheets in the decal stash - lmk if you want them and I'll check once I am back at base.

On 7/1/2022 at 5:19 PM, alt-92 said:

There are earlier schemes depicted for a Ju-88C-6 with the earlier FuG 202/212 radar set, which could be available from OWL.

Fortunately mounting the antenna is one of the last steps in the build sequence anyway. 

Something like this I presume?

DSC06916-crop

I bought this a long time ago when I was thinking of doing a refurbishment of the same kit as yours - may be a bit hard to find now as they don't seem to be listing them any more on their web shop! Unfortunately, when I came to use it I found one of the tiny "X" shaped resin parts was damaged, and whilst they give you 4 spare etched antennae there are no spares for those. They do provide a jig for assembly but it looks mind-blowingly fiddly. I may just use it on another kit but only as the one central mast that was used to provide short range coverage with the early Fug 220 - later versions did not need it!

Pete

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Something like this I presume?

Yep, although the one I found (yay!) is AML's boxing of the same. 

• Like 1

Glad you found one. Looking at his website I think the chap behind Owl is winding down the resin etc bits and concentrating more on decals - perhaps he has passed the moulds or whatever on. Do you have a link for AML as I can't find them.

If you do decide to fit them then I will wish you the best of luck - you will need better eyesight and steadier hands than I have these days but they should look stunning!

Pete

• Like 1

They used to have a set AMLA72089 for the ICM Ju-88.  Looks to be discontinued, however so it depends on available stocks with Big H or similar :)

• Thanks 1

The cockpit is your typical 1970s barebones affair. 
y4m8FjlXsKaVPhnBZwgmh2sX_NCXZ83zXFalP2qy

But a nightfighter should have some serious equipment stuffed in there, so because I can't let things well alone...
y4m9SfXAJVSH9pH6XM7rWUV5PwDvtjIMRVKy_Hib

y4mBsWuyM5D8DsalemmBhWdcy7rHOH_YCUiC2Ga3

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Updates!
With the tub containing the cockpit readied and a drybrush of light grey added, time to close up the fuselage.

y4mAPOB5L53Bh9k4X2YlnN6HKq8_XVuqJwYKRPpu

Yes I made an instrument panel complete with ReVi box as well. Sue me.

The heavy rivetting was sanded down somewhat along the length (which makes it easier to compensate with a riveting wheel afterwards.

y4mB5hnhPUtnX34gnAuGendDji6u5BaqfDXm38ma

The dodgy fit of some of the parts is also a blessing in disguise - because the nose cone has openings for the kit's SN-2/FuG 212 large antenna which need to be closed off for my BC-1 variant. Backed with plasticard, and then filled. 

For giggles, I testfitted the canopy.  Reasonably ok, but the rear fit against the fuselage is completely off. That will receive some buildup as well.

y4mPV43czEJWzWvLjNK0xDsabJdOHlact4NNNC2s

Gaps, you say? 

y4mO1wuaLb7ACHq3B_FGnO1npX8vO9wO03vzf3Uj

Tail glued on, dry fit of the wings & engine pods.

y4m9fOWvrazl3KR4lF8rFRFvs2bvV_gDZzLiNzqg

• Like 11

• 3 months later...

Oops.

Time flies when you're busy doing stuff...

182394d1501203316-random-pictures-thread

Anyway.

Useless preshading, but at least the canopy has been made to fit. 

y4m_W_dDMYLrcFbm0_KZyyAbeJhtX8dZZuDA_83Q

Yes that is the antenna set from AML.

And it is TINY.

And bends really easily. 

y4meC_sbuOSWxgqhBBK7zjFM8_yFBbgp52JPZ5t6

AML/OWL also supply the holders, so luckily not too much drilling required.

y4mtCSQLbkyvd6k1n2WSZQzYN7KaswxMTMW8ZtQ_

Instead of the oft-seen RLM75/76 spots I'm accepting the challenge and going for an oversprayed/mottled 70/71 original camo with RLM76 over the top.

So:

y4mJRcJd-8xyrWFUmtmFf7FyiO6a_ox7EUGlXJfS

With the RLM70 on, time for the 71 to add, then re-mottle the 76 over that again. 

y4mdOH0xGpJ6ZI-v6oWiwq8KtkGKB0olZjORSRXZ

At least we're on the home stretch and gearing up for a sprint across the line in this GB.

• Like 4

Those splatter templates are nice, but not quite suitable for the subject.

Back to the handwork it is then - at least the patterns can be used as a guide. 
Gave the template 70/71 a thin coat of MRP's rendition of RLM 76 leichtblau, and then redid the 70/71 mottle by hand/airbrush but slightly bigger, tracing over some of the green splurts here and there with 76. 

y4mFABn8OU_XbWe8G19BedwyywA2O8Rte72DSUo0

Underside is done in Tamiya Nato Black over the Surfacer 1500 primer, so it's not black-black.  Looks good though.

y4m5cGd7sChcJpJV3icpSZgSENREfA21tA_EMvZ8

And I notice I forgot to do the yellow band :banghead: ah, just one more little thing to do. All the small bits (wheels, gear, doors and stuff) are drying. 

• Like 3

y4mwzap-FBn8J6rbPP2wMzB42M3WMP401BQe3VMl

Final bits on. 
Small panic moment when one of the BC-1 antenna bits pinged off into the dust bunnies beyond the table never to be seen again, so rebuilt one from scratch with the spare etch Owl fortunately supplied. 

So, calling this done. At least I finished one build within the GB timeframe :D

y4mbSjL2RbVxWzXUFJ7A_RpeekZJGMGfQ-0t8DuN

y4m4smYXfDAfps7vI4YDWm5Q32jVfjUtzzL-5lMl

y4mApKLbJdkbs-erJLq-74JPFwSK7njAT03j302w

y4mPS8lCqB_fxJckhirrxYjWnNdUPrEYPsGgYaEM

• Like 6

• alt-92 changed the title to Nachtjagd - Revell 1/72 Ju-88c-6c (H-165) [done]