H-166 F-105B Thunderchief

Here we are in the second half of 2022 and I find that I have not actually started a kit from scratch this year. This was not due to any lack of modelling Mojo but rather that I have spend time on my railway layout, which has moved on. Added to which this year our vegetable garden has reached full production - leads to lots to sowing. planting out. Now that we are close to the picking season I have slightly more time to return the the modelling table.

So my offering is:

f105 1

This joined my stash many years ago as part of a kit swap when the other party felt obliged to make up the volume of what he was offering.

What's not to like with the exciting features that are listed on the box? On the side of the box it also says "easy to assemble"

I could have built this in the Century series GB but to me this is true Revell Classic and as such it's here.

• Like 9

Very similar to the old one I had - don't remember the refuelling probe being moveable, but it could drop a bomb and eject the pilot, and the paint scheme/markings look the same.

Pete

• Like 1

If, as seems possible, this is 54-107 then it was a F-105-5-RE used for testing in a "climatic" hanger in 1957, sent to Alaska in 1958 which would fit with the red/orange tail, retired in 1959 and preserved, at least for a while.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

Two slight oddities about this GB boxing of this kit:

According to Scalemates

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-h-166-republic-f-105b-thunderchief--130434

the US box has the picture on the right mine is on the left.

The decals in mine has the old London W1 address on the back whereas the Box has the Potters Bar address.

KIt dates from 1958 and this boxing appears to be 1961

9 hours ago, Paul821 said:

Two slight oddities about this GB boxing of this kit:

According to Scalemates

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-h-166-republic-f-105b-thunderchief--130434

the US box has the picture on the right mine is on the left.

The decals in mine has the old London W1 address on the back whereas the Box has the Potters Bar address.

KIt dates from 1958 and this boxing appears to be 1961

My guess is the Link shows the American boxing, yours is from Revell GB correct ? Its possibly how the UK boxings were as it was made locally. Its also a good guess the Scalemates page is incomplete. There is no mention of Revell UK OR Great Britain. 

16 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

My guess is the Link shows the American boxing, yours is from Revell GB correct ? Its possibly how the UK boxings were as it was made locally. Its also a good guess the Scalemates page is incomplete. There is no mention of Revell UK OR Great Britain. 

Funny you should mention that - I have noticed that too at times. One reason I had not realised my old Thud was Monogram is because I could not find the version I had with the ejecting pilot and dropping bomb - they seem to have re-worked the moulds quite a bit! Enzo's sprue shots shows the cockpit floor with the slots for the spring etc but the instructions for this version show the seat being glued to the fuselage.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

Nearly all the box contents are off the sprue

open box

but when laid out they all seem o be present

sprue

when I first looked in the box a week ago the decals were very brown but a few days in the sunshine seems to have cured that and the first picture shows them as they are now.

As with all my builds (classic of not) I scan the decals at 1200 dpi in case something goes wrong in their application.

Now onto some actual construction....

• Like 6

Last prebuild picture:

rivits

Showing the rivets and decal placements that seemed to standard in the day.

There is also a stain just below the cockpit, I have no idea what caused this and I have tried various remedies to remove it - all that of which failed. It's not that noticeable in the model as a whole so I think I'll leave it. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Time to resume work...

As this picture shows for this build I am doing something that I don't remember doing in over sixty years of making injection moulded kits:

IMG_0271

TI am not only doing this as a out of the box built but also following the instructions. These clearly state that parts should be painted and decals applied before assembly

At this stage everything seemed OK but...

IMG_0273

some of the nose decal did not attach properly!!!! As you can see from the pot propping up the model I am not following the instructions and using Revell paint.

I doubt if there will be many more WIP updates as there will be very little to follow in the remaining steps. That is unless something goes wrong.

• Like 8