Airfix Vulcan XM607

I Hi All,

Here’s my latest completion, the new tool Airfix Vulcan. What a joy to build, loved every minute, there was virtually no filler, it went together (with a little care) perfectly. I added some wires and piping in to the bomb bay. I also carved off the bombs on the cradles and reworked them to show her cargo has been delivered. 

I wanted to replicate Black Buck 1, so after lots of reading, looking over loads of photos I think I’ve done her justice. I also wanted to pay tribute to the heroism of Martin Withers and his crew for their outstanding prosecution of the operation.

I hope you enjoy the pics

WHbQ9AB.jpg

5Br3pyv.jpg

9paTSUN.jpg

Kt6FUaU.jpg

VbRdQSK.jpg

EFM3mSD.jpg

UMGGB6p.jpg

yMfF7Gi.jpg

425w63p.jpg

Thank you all for looking, just no idea what to build next. 

Cheers Si 

• Like 70
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Planebuilder62 said:

Well done, how did you make the vortex generators on the nose?
regards Toby

Hi Toby, couldn’t find any close up pics, so it’s 1mm x 1mm x 0.4mm plastic strip. 

Thank guys for your kind words, it was such a lovely kit to build. The book Vulcan 607 is a great inspiration too 🤯

Cheers Si 

• Thanks 1

I don't "know" jets, but you have done such a magnificent subject, such a honour with your obvious skills. Brilliant.

The subject feels very familiar having read (and re-read several times) Vulcan 607 by Roland White. It was one of the most un-put-downable books I've come across. The story is VERY British (only we could cope with so much going wrong and then pull it off) that I had to get hold of the other books by the same author. Highly recommended to anyone who doesn't know of them.

So, apologies for pinching your thread, take a bow for your hard work.

Regards

Pete

• Like 2

What a GREAT Build and presentation. The model is superb...you have done justice to what looks like an excellent new kit from Airfix (I have one patiently waiting in the stash).

Well Done, Sir !

Looks great! I forgot about the added vortex generators on Black Buck aircraft, very few photos of them around. I believe it was mainly to do with fuel spilling over the canopy during in flight refuelling.

The weathering looks very nicely done, Vulcans weren't the cleanest aircraft. Only things to note are that the tailcone tip looks like the Red Steer Mk.1 version moulded in place but should be the Red Steer Mk.2 version which is included in the kit as an extra part, and the seam around the radome should have been filled because doesn't correlate to any real panel line. With the panel line wash it throws the look of the nose a bit. But that's rivet counting, so doesn't detract from a great model. I see you did add the missing parts to the crew door though, very nicely done.

A build with little filler sounds very different to my experience of this kit. Perhaps this is a later one from the production line when they got any issues resolved. 

7 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Looks great! I forgot about the added vortex generators on Black Buck aircraft, very few photos of them around. I believe it was mainly to do with fuel spilling over the canopy during in flight refuelling.

The weathering looks very nicely done, Vulcans weren't the cleanest aircraft. Only things to note are that the tailcone tip looks like the Red Steer Mk.1 version moulded in place but should be the Red Steer Mk.2 version which is included in the kit as an extra part, and the seam around the radome should have been filled because doesn't correlate to any real panel line. With the panel line wash it throws the look of the nose a bit. But that's rivet counting, so doesn't detract from a great model. I see you did add the missing parts to the crew door though, very nicely done.

A build with little filler sounds very different to my experience of this kit. Perhaps this is a later one from the production line when they got any issues resolved. 

Thanks Adam, high praise from you👍

Regarding the Red Steer…what is that? I’ve obviously missed it🫣. If it’s an easy fix she could go into the maintenance bay😉

Regarding the panel lines, they don’t match on de-electric “triangular flags” either side on the base of the fin. But honestly I didn’t want to go down that rabbit hole, because it looks just like a Vulcan. Had to add

I found the fit of parts generally really good, just lots of test fitting 😉.

Thank for you positive critique 👍

cheers Si 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Covjets13 said:

Regarding the Red Steer…what is that? I’ve obviously missed it🫣. If it’s an easy fix she could go into the maintenance bay😉

Red Steer is what is contained in that bulbous tailcone. The very tip of the tailcone is slightly different between Mk.1 and Mk.2.

Duxford's Vulcan helpfully has the cover from a Mk.1 unit on the tail, I suspect Mk.2 was removed as spares and this cover was just what they had. 

IMG_20220320_152201778_HDR~2

This one is a Red Steer Mk.2 tailcone tip. See how it is slightly longer and disrupts the smooth shape of the tail. There is an alternative part in the kit for this, apparently somewhat of an afterthought but a worthwhile inclusion nonetheless. 

_DSC0240