spacer.png

After digesting the numerous excellent build of the B747 here in this forum, I have decided that I would like to build one too.

I have always wanted the B744, especially a SIA plane. Opportunity came when someone wanted to part an old Hasegawa kit but it was a Japanese government plane. I bought it anyway and this is my first commercial plane model build. 
I am going to depict a SIA 50th anniversary B744 taking off. So, there will be some work to do such as extended flaps and slats, and tilting main landing gears.

• Like 3

spacer.png

Cut the left wing. So off went the LE and TE flaps, as well as the fairings for the flaps extension mechanism. I didn’t realize what kind of trouble I am getting myself into with this take off configuration. 
A good part of the wing is removed and lots of gaps need to be filled and sanded.

I knew there is a flaps set for sale. However, the cost is many times the price I paid for this B747. Guess I will do my best to fabricate them. Again, another trouble I am getting myself into.

• Like 2

spacer.png

Windows filled and fuselage joined. Some panel lines are removed from the sanding and some scribed. 

spacer.png

Cut out gaps are patched with plastic sheets. This build is coming along with new ideas as I cut and fabricate so as to achieve the desired visual.

• Like 2

spacer.png

Can’t spend the money means I need to take the trouble and creativity to fabricate my flaps. Finally decided to build the flaps like how I built my first balsa wood glider; do it the good old fashion way.

So the first set of inner wing TE flaps cut from 2mm styrene sheets, sanded to shape.

spacer.png
Moving along as planned

spacer.png
3 piece meal cooked. Completed the 3 pieces of flaps…..3 more sets to go. And more Krueger flaps to come!……I am going crazy!

• Like 5

spacer.png

Finally fitted the left wing and inner wing flaps. It’s a lot of work trying to figure out the size to file and sand the flaps and finally figure the take off position of the flap. All based on the photos I can get from the internet.

spacer.png

Not the strongest way to hold the flaps but I came out with this idea as I went along building. So will have to be careful not to knock it.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Gondor44 said:

Not my usual scale but the slotted flaps and slats have gotten my interest...... now ehre is an empty seat with a reasonable view?

Gondor

You will have to sit for a long time. These flaps are torturing me slowly. I had some extra time to complete the first set because I was stranded at home with covid. Well, it was a light one, so was well after a couple of days of cough and runny nose.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Cklasse said:

You will have to sit for a long time. These flaps are torturing me slowly. I had some extra time to complete the first set because I was stranded at home with covid. Well, it was a light one, so was well after a couple of days of cough and runny nose.

Not a problem as I usually build at a glacial pace anyway. Glad that your bout of Covid was light.

Gondor

• 2 weeks later...

I finally completed the outboard flap. From  photos, I realized the 3rd flap does not extend for this configuration. So I decided not to cut one but fabricate both as single piece. Will work on scribing a deeper line to differentiate the flaps.
The starboard wing is in progress now. Next challenge will be the Krueger flaps.

spacer.png

Attention is a bit distracted because my F14A has arrived, bought a RSAF F16C while browsing in the shop (I just have to get it because it’s RSAF) and waiting for my Airfix Sea King and Revell Twin Otter to deliver. Anyway, I must keep going with this B744 or it will be pushed to the dungeon in this forum.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Finally completed the starboard wing, minus the flaps. Fortunately there are lots of LEGO bricks at home, so borrowed some from my boys to make an alignment jig. Kind of delighted that there is this one stud brick that holds the wing leading edge nicely.

spacer.png

The white wing holding bricks 

spacer.png

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Completed the 3rd flaps, working on the 4th. 
Ditching the kit landing gear and rebuilding new ones for the tilted wheel bogie. The main body landing gear will also double as anchor to hold the plane in a tilted position. 

spacer.png

• Like 7

Yay!….completed the 4th flaps. I realized I need to get the engine pylon in place so that I can take reference for the Krueger flaps position. 
So, work starts for the PW4000 before the slats. I had ordered the resin engines but found that it is almost similar to the kit engines. In fact, the kit engines look close to pictures of SIA’s B744 and the resin ones do not. 
Looks like I will use the kit engines and do some mods on the exhaust sleeves. The kit engines have more details compared to resin.

Dry fitted the engine parts and found the fan blades are shrouded by a ring in the engine. It’s inside and no one will probably notice but seeing the engines everyday at work, I find it just doesn’t look right. The fan blades should touch the rub strips in the fan case and not surrounded by a ring. 

Fan case inner is bulked up by putty so that I can sand down to a smooth transition from the front to the fan blades and not see a step. Unfortunately, I would need to do this 4 times.
spacer.png

Step in the fan case interior

spacer.png

Will sand it smooth and paint the rub strips before assembly. The cowling thickness will need some thinning at the exhaust sleeve location.

• Like 4

spacer.png
Now this looks more like a turbofan, 1st stage LPC in front. I realized this split half engine means I have to deal with the joint lines after assembly and it will interfere with the fan blades during sanding of putty. I will have to place the fan blades inside the engine but not glue it so that I can putty, sand and paint the cowling interior. I will have to paint the front part of the interior a lighter grey after sorted out the joint gap. Thereafter I shall push and glue the fan in place. 

• Like 2

You could always cut the front from each engine just in front of the compressor blades. This does mean more work in the end but will give you the intakes as separate pieces so you can eliminate the seam on the inside but means you have a join to deal with on the outside instead but only once the engine is assembled.

Gondor

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gondor44 said:

You could always cut the front from each engine just in front of the compressor blades. This does mean more work in the end but will give you the intakes as separate pieces so you can eliminate the seam on the inside but means you have a join to deal with on the outside instead but only once the engine is assembled.

Gondor

I think your method is a better way to deal with this split engine problem. The split line outside after assembly is easier to deal with; just leave it. 
On the real turbofan, the fan cowl is attached to the fan case just slightly forward of the blades. At 1/200 scale, it can get away with a slight position variation. I will have to ensure the cut fan cowl and the rear cowlings are fitting close so that I can leave the split line alone. 
Yup, this is more work but makes dealing the fan cowl interior easier.

• Like 2