following the completion of my Hunley build, people were asking as to what my next maritime build would be. Well thanks to the good people at MikroMir, I can now announce that it will be their new kit of the Confederate semi-submersible torpedo boat the CSS David. This kit provides parts for a full interior and I shall be super detailing this as well as cutting away some of the hull to show the work to its best advantage.

The work will of course include a 1/35 scale ship's cat (the kitten's idea) and of course a seagull in the same scale so as not to upset @longshanks!

I tried to take some pictures of the kit but the new kittens, Nest and Tinker, decided to sign on as ship's cats so make what you will of the pictures so far! I have the Academy kit of the Cutty Sark and the Scale Warship etch for the same and am keen to make a start on that as well but space considerations dictate that some of the Zeppelins will need to clear the work bench before that can happen.

Thanks for looking and Nest and Tinker would welcome any constructive criticism C/O this thread!

Martian 👽

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

• Like 14
  • Haha 5

When finished, you must do a video with pictures of the model, while "Ashokan Farewell" plays in the background. And a building log containing quotes of Frederick Douglass or Elisha Hunt Rhodes! 

Aa long as the cat wasn't on board of the Bismarck, the Cossack and the Ark Royal, everything's okay😉

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TallBlondJohn said:

Nest and Tinker? Nimitz and Tirpitz more like. They will appreciate this new toy.

That's exactly what I'm worried about!

Apprehensive of Mars 👽

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Martian said:

The work will of course include a 1/35 scale ship's cat (the kitten's idea) and of course a seagull in the same scale so as not to upset @longshanks!

And rivets, no doubt. 😁

Seriously (yeah, I know, this is Britmodeller) it would be interesting to display this alongside the Hunley when done. Looking forward to seeing this. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Martian said:

following the completion of my Hunley build, people were asking as to what my next maritime build would be. Well thanks to the good people at MikroMir, I can now announce that it will be their new kit of the Confederate semi-submersible torpedo boat the CSS David. This kit provides parts for a full interior and I shall be super detailing this as well as cutting away some of the hull to show the work to its best advantage.

I tried to take some pictures of the kit but the new kittens, Nest and Tinker, decided to sign on as ship's cats so make what you will of the pictures so far! I have the Academy kit of the Cutty Sark and the Scale Warship etch for the same and am keen to make a start on that as well but space considerations dictate that some of the Zeppelins will need to clear the work bench before that can happen.

Thanks for looking and Nest and Tinker would welcome any constructive criticism C/O this thread!

Martian 👽

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

6 Lovely little boy, you've got a keen technical adviser.....I know what I'm speaking of.

- Have fun with your strange sea cigar

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

And rivets, no doubt. 😁

Seriously (yeah, I know, this is Britmodeller) it would be interesting to display this alongside the Hunley when done. Looking forward to seeing this. Regards, Jeff.

Mercifully not too many rivets on this one Jeff as she was mostly built of wood. There was some sort of metal plating covering the midships part of the hull and there's the boiler to consider but that's about it.

As to displaying alongside the Hunley, that is most definitely part of the plan for this one. I have become rather taken by the naval technology of the American Civil War and hope that MikroMir bring out more kits of these subjects. There is certainly a rich vein of subject matter to chose from.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

Martian, Those new cute kittens looks suspiciously like Flirkins to me. Better watch you step, or tentacles' it were.:hmmm:

Too late! Nest got carried away playing yesterday and mistook my two lower tentacles for her cat toy. It hurt: a lot!

5 hours ago, John Laidlaw said:

A Martian build, and kittens? I'm in.

The kittens were quiet today:

010.jpg

09.jpg

I therefore took the opportunity to get those sprue shots done that were so ably sabotaged by the terrible twosome yesterday.

05.jpg

006.jpg

06.jpg

08.jpg

Obviously this build is still in the research stage. I have obtained a booklet from a museum in the USA which very helpfully has an account of the construction of the David from her builder and raided the interweb for all I can find. If anyone out there in BM land can come up with anything on her engine and boiler it would give a great boost to the project.

Martian 👽

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Now this is something different Martin. I was trolling this forum for something else, when I came across your build thread.

I'm sure the kittens will keep you busy...

Colin

• Like 1

Thanks Colin. I am still at the research stage with this one though. Much like the Hunley, it looks as though some experimental archeology in 1/35 looms in my future as detailed information is thin on the ground. Still, I think I can make a go of it.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Brandy said:

At least it won't need rigging or tiny gondolas (gondolae?)

:popcorn:

Ian

Well, not much rigging but it seems that I have not learned my lesson from the Hunley build and keep getting the urge to drill holes in this one too.

Incorrigible of Mars 👽

• Haha 1

Very interesting project! Sure you've seen during your research but there's some nice photos of a cottage industries 1/32 model of this with all the engine, boiler and gears on show on the "great Canadian model builders Web page" sorry I never know If I should post links to someone else's work but maybe of interest to you

• Thanks 1