Sabre Mk2 416 Squadron, Grostenquin, France 1954.

Viking

• 2 weeks later...

So much work has taken place for so little to show for it!

I've been through interminable masking sessions, outlining various panels and then spraying different silver tones of Tamiya silver mixed in varying degress with black or white to make different shades. Over and over again,! Some hardly show until you look at from various angles and the light catches them, which is the effect I was after.

First set of panel masking:

250_44.jpg

vesrion-i can't remeber-which of more panel masking. The initial tone of the gun panel wasn't dark enough, so I masked again and resprayed it.

250_45.jpg

It really isn't east to photograph the full effect, hopefully this gives a sense of the multi tone panels.  I masked and sprayed the black band around the nose in gloss, with the anti glare panel done in matt rubber black for contrast.

250_46.jpg

I don't like to leave tape on clear parts for any longer than I have to, so took it off as I won't be spraying varnish on this. I'll give it a brush coat of Johnsosn Klear to seal the decals when it is finished.

250_47.jpg

A couple of shots of that elusive Vee windscreen that was so important to this build. 

250_48.jpg

250_49.jpg

Getting close to the finishing line now!

Thanks for looking,

John

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Short update, all the final parts are added, and ready for decaling. It is a a sort of bare Sabre (apart from the black rudder and noseband.

(I have now applied all the decals and myriad stencils from the kit, but need to get time for a final photo session, but for now I have these photos).

250_50.jpg

250_51.jpg

Let decaling commence!

250_52.jpg

The sheet is on a continuous carrier film so you need to cut each subject out. Very easy to do.

250_53.jpg

Final update to follow over the next few days.

Cheers

John

• Like 9

Just started doing a  few photos, and playing around with a comparison of the real photo that started all this off. 

Hmmm. the tail plane dihedral needs increasing

250_55.jpg

And in colour:

250_55a.jpg

• Like 9

Superb! Your NMF looks great and the conversion has worked out very well indeed.

The Above and Below decals look very nice - I recently bought a few but haven't tried them yet, will be using them on my Dash 7. Sadly they seem to have run into some problems and have taken their website down - hope they sort it out and are back soon.

All done & posted in the gallery. A few more here:

250_61.jpg

250_60.jpg

250_63.jpg

250_64.jpg

250_57.jpg

250_58.jpg

250_59.jpg

With his Citroën 'Traction Avant' that he owned at the time!

250_62.jpg

Thanks for all the help & comments throughout this, I've really enjoyed it, and to Zebra & Enzo for hosting it,

Cheers

John

• Like 9

A post script that I just remembered!

My father returned to Gardermoen, (Oslo, Norway) after 68 years since he first arrived there in a Sabre for NATO exercises . In the museum is a a Norwegian F-86F that I believe was used by Airfix to lidar scan for the kit, The kit comes with decals for this aircraft, and illustrated on the box art, Appropriate then that I should use it to backdate to his Mk.2!

250_65.jpg

• Like 3

Awesome build, I have this exact jet planned for a future project.

Love the story and history you posted here. I served in 416 (Hornets) and my dad was stationed in Grostenquin at the same time as your father (before I was born too).

• Like 2