CanAdrian's Junkers W34

Adrian Hills

1 hour ago, CliffB said:

A great choice Adrian.  I made a wheeled, Chaco War version some time ago and IIRC, the canopy was a bit too wide for the fuselage.  A thin shim between the fuselage halves in that area, solved the problem.

Edit:  assuming yours has an enclosed cockpit?

Cliff, thanks for note on that. Being Canadian it most certainly has an enclosed cockpit !

Cheers

Adrian

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Have got a bit more done. Joined fuselage after putting a pallet in the back with some sacks. Wing fitted surprisingly well. The nose on the one image (I think it is a painting) has some air intakes on it. So cut a few bits of tube to tart it up a bit. added a little bit on top of the tail, a distinctive feature of this particular aircraft. And waterlined the floats. All ready for an Alclad gloss black undercoat, hopefully also as useable as top coat for nose !

image0[16493]

• Like 6

This is a Humbrol gloss black 'undercoat' for the silver. It will be masked and used as the top coat for the nose. When it is dry will put some Alclad on top.

IMG_8523[16500]

IMG_8522[16499]

The floats will be silver

IMG_8521[16501]

Whilst I was painting I put some yellow on a Junkers F13 I'm working on (my sixth!)

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, zebra said:

How's it going Adrian? Just over a week to go - you can do it! - one last push will get it in the gallery.

Hi Zebra, today I fly back from Morocco after a week’s cycling holiday. Monday I will get to it and finish the W34. Unfortunately I think there is too much work to complete the Ju52 in time. Summers get like that with me 😊

Had a significant disaster. The Alclad silver top coat crazed. This is despite it saying on the jar “can be sprayed over any black paint”, Humbrol gloss enamel in my instance. I have since cleaned all paint off floats and gingerly tidied up the worst on the fuselage. Hosed it down with Humbrol chrome finish. My hope being that it will be shiny enough to take the J-Bot decals. My plan is to get decals on tomorrow and canopy and floats on before Sunday’s deadline and photos. On Monday will get some dull coat on which should tame the surface finish 😊

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Adrian Hills said:

Had a significant disaster. The Alclad silver top coat crazed. This is despite it saying on the jar “can be sprayed over any black paint”, Humbrol gloss enamel in my instance. I have since cleaned all paint off floats and gingerly tidied up the worst on the fuselage. Hosed it down with Humbrol chrome finish. My hope being that it will be shiny enough to take the J-Bot decals. My plan is to get decals on tomorrow and canopy and floats on before Sunday’s deadline and photos. On Monday will get some dull coat on which should tame the surface finish 😊

I suspect the wrinkling was due to the Alcad forrmula does not like the Humbrol enamel base formula......and hey presto....

Wrinkling happens!

It is clearly apparent from the level of construction of my W34 that it won't be finished by this evening. And for that I apologise, similarly for the Ju 52/1m. 

Today I am having a relaxing time doing some work on the W34. Have just nicked a Pegasus engine faceplate from a Revell Wellington kit which will be fitted over my Aeroclub white metal Pratt & Whitney Wasp engine. I note from various photos that there was a single exhaust mounted under the fuselage so will do something about that.

IMG_8809[16741]

IMG_8810[16742]

Note the crudely fitted extension to the front of the fin 🙂

• Like 6

Better to finish it right than rush it, Adrian. The progress is looking good, this one's going to be a really nice model when it's done 

James

• 4 months later...

After a long gap I have finally finished this model. Initially I was going to complete it as it is as the J-Bot decals are so good and show an aircraft that is seen in a photograph. However, since then I bought the excellent book "Aviation in Canada: The Formative Years by Larry Millberry and it had an even more exciting photo

IMG_9540[17486]

To achieve my aim I contacted Fine Scale Figures Figures who said they could print (at very little extra cost) a canoe 75mm long which I thought would be about right 

IMG_9592[17485]

I think it was really worth the effort and I had a lot of fun making it 🙂

• Like 1