CanAdrian's Junkers W34

Adrian Hills

I have been wanting to build a model of this lovely German aircraft used by the Canadians for quite a while. I had the kit in my stash and a while ago Jim Boataitis of J Bot decals supplied me the correct decals for the aircraft displayed in the Canadian Aviation and Space museum in Ottawa. I was last there, taking photos ten years ago.

https://imgur.com/SLmFheQ

https://imgur.com/av9e9G6

https://imgur.com/f0CiSTb

https://imgur.com/PPUXAnF

If this image upload is successful, I apologise for not smiling in the selfie taken ten years ago. I have more images of the W34 that I took on that day

Cheers

CanAdrian 

• Like 6

I recall seeing it when  I was there in 2006. A fabulous museum! A huge inspiration to me and my modelling subjects.

• Like 1

The images work, Adrian. As an Imgur user myself, if you hover over an image and click the three dots in the top righthand corner it'll give you a menu. Click "get share links" and use the BB Code link, and it'll embed your images directly into your post :)

James

• Thanks 1

This photo was taken about a mile away from where my bum is parked right now. Much Western Canadian aviation history flew around this place, back in the pre-WW2 days.

49957053302_85c3eec898_o.jpg

Chris

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Adrian Hills said:

Fort McMurray - Do you know Lauri Middleton of Kelowna College ?

I don't know anybody in Kelowna, BC.

Do you mean Keyano College? If so, then no, I do not know her.

Chris

Hi Jeroen, it is becoming clear that my image posting isn't working and I will have too look again at this problem - otherwise you would have seen the image of the front of the box.

The kit I will be using is the MPM Junkers W.34 Floatplane no 72071.

Cheers

CanAdrian

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Adrian Hills said:

Hi Jeroen, it is becoming clear that my image posting isn't working and I will have too look again at this problem - otherwise you would have seen the image of the front of the box.

Cheers

CanAdrian

Thanks Adrian, the Imgur is just a link and I usually don't click those, but in this case clearly I should have 🙂 

Hope you get things sorted. What I did here was right click on the image and "copy address of image" (or something like that, I'm using a Dutch version). Then paste that into the post.

SLmFheQ.jpeg

For the embedding to work in Britmodeller, the link you're posting should have an extension (like .jpg, or .jpeg or something), otherwise the site will not recognize it as a link to a picture and not perform the embedding. 

11 hours ago, Adrian Hills said:

Cheers

CanAdrian

Ive taken and posted the image's I do hope you don't mind ? I use Imgur photo’s also. I use the app on my apple iPhone and all I need do is hover on the photo and you get options. I just click on copy url. and paste directly into a post here. Imgur is nice as its unlimited photo’s and can be kept private. Which means only those you share the link with get to see them. So if you want to keep the Imgur chat social media crowd out of it you can. 

SLmFheQ.jpg

av9e9G6.jpg

f0CiSTb.jpg

PPUXAnF.jpg

Dennis

• Like 3

Dennis, thank you for putting the piccies up.

Today I started on the kit by cleaning the parts up as it is a ‘short production run kit’ and all that entails 

cheers 

CanAdrian

• Like 1

Still trying to fix the photo thing. More usefully I have done quite a bit of work further cleaning up the parts and thinning the inside of the fuselage by the cockpit, windows and rear door. This might be open as deciding on a mini-diorama with a figure at the door and a canoe strapped to one of the floats.

On further reading I have changed which aircraft I will depict to CF AQV which is the other option on the decal sheet. This aircraft crashed, importantly with no loss of life and part of the fuselage and a float survived. Images are on the web from a photo taken in 1978 one source says the parts are in a museum in Western Canada

• Like 1

Just using Flickr again. 

Here is a photograph taken in 1978 of what was left of CF AQV, my chosen subject. It is notable that there is a float alongside which indicates the aircraft was using this configuration when it crashed. The interior is bare aluminium so I will take that as a lead for chosen inside colour.

Ear Falls Junkers

Image taken from the AVCANADA.ca website. According to one report these parts are now at the Royal Aviation Museum of Western Canada

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

This is my excuse why I haven't done any work on the W34 recently. I was just finishing off a 1/100 scale Vulcan Hurricane kit (1957, pre Eagle).The reason I am showing it here is that I have represented an aircraft fitted with skis in Canada. Mine was a basic 'quick & dirty' job with skis, intakes, radio aerial and prop from the parts box. flame shields on nose bits of Kronenbourg can. Hopefully this will inspire someone to do a proper job with a modern kit for this Canadian Group Build

IMG_7817[12972]

IMG_7820[12974]

The canopy was lovely and clear so I put some Kabuki tape on it to represent the framing. This was my favourite part of the build

IMG_7830[12977]

Here it is sitting on my 1/100 shelf with the first prototype Manchester in the background.

Now back to the W34

Cheers  CanAdrian

• Like 7

Have investigated the interior and glued seat and bulkhead in. From the photo of the crashed aircraft, albeit 30 years after it hit the ground, I can see not one hint of preservative paint, being O2 dark green or even black. If it was anything but bare aluminium (Canadians add the second 'i' to this word) I would have thought there would be some evidence.

If anyone has an opinion on the interior colour please say.

Oh, and I've glued the wing halves together and clamped them with a fan of nipple clamps

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

I tried putting some ribbed sections on the interior but it looked to bulky. So just added a few bit of styrene rod to make it look interesting. Then hosed it down with Alclad

IMG_8103[16245]

The thinning around the windows and door orifice didn't help. But at least I can close the fuselage soon 🙂

• Like 7

Just a grab bag photo, showing a semi- assembled cockpit, internal ribbing highlighted in grey (its so small might show up better through windows) and oil drums, pallets and sacks all from Ratio railway supplies. Was very peaceful painting those, especially the 'Castrol' oil drums !

IMG_8176[16275]

Might use some sacks pallets and drums in my JU 52/1m

• Like 10

A great choice Adrian.  I made a wheeled, Chaco War version some time ago and IIRC, the canopy was a bit too wide for the fuselage.  A thin shim between the fuselage halves in that area, solved the problem.

Edit:  assuming yours has an enclosed cockpit?