Best 1/72 Do 335 Pfeil

Madalo

The Revell 2 seater was the old Frog kit, I think Revell may have reissued the Dragon single seater as well.

• Like 3

The Dragon kit seems to be the best. Good surface detail, some etch, nice internals like cockpit and wheel wells. Full engine exposed option. The fit is a little challenging, but nothing dramatic. Might be a little hard to find right now? Don't forget to put some weight in the nose!

spacer.png

• Like 8

5 hours ago, rossm said:

The Revell 2 seater was the old Frog kit, I think Revell may have reissued the Dragon single seater as well.

Yes, they did. https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-04324-dornier-do-335-a-1a-pfeil--128689 In 2000, which means it's yet another kit that's been sitting in my stash for 20 years...... It looks like Platz reissued it last year.

On 7/1/2022 at 10:53 AM, Madalo said:

I am looking at getting a 1/72 Dornier Pfeil. What are the best options around? 

On 7/1/2022 at 6:04 PM, Vesa Jussila said:

There are also Lindberg and HobbyBoss, maybe some others.

Whatever you do, avoid the Lindberg. Their mid 60s range of mainly German 1/72 kits is mainly horrible. Say about their 50s kits what you will but at least they have charme (and some are rather good IMHO).

On 7/1/2022 at 7:06 PM, Graham Boak said:

My Dragon 335 is a 2-seater.

I am pretty certain they did at least 3 or 4 boxings, including trainer and Nightfighter.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, tempestfan said:

I am pretty certain they did at least 3 or 4 boxings, including trainer and Nightfighter.

Released under Dragon Label:

5009---A-1, standard single seat version;

5010---B-6, 5009 with a bubbled rader operator canopy, second cockpit, radar antennas, nose wheel and bulged canopy for B series;

5015---A-12, in recent references should be A-10, 5009 with a second instructor seat;

5033---B-4, 5009 with extend wing tips, I wonder why nose wheel and bulged canopy for B series not provided;

9006---B-2, 5009 with  nose wheel and bulged canopy for B series, MK103 fairings and muzzle brakes, under wing bomb racks and two SC250 bombs.

• Like 2

The Revell / Dragon single seater is a nice kit, here with new decals:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21603181@N08/5335778095/in/photolist-2n4vmbc-98vfW4-qCXWPh-psNiHr-q87tCP-qpnXVB-pN2HzQ

The FROG / Matchbox (Revell) is nice for the decal option:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21603181@N08/51891860279/in/photolist-2n4vmbc-98vfW4-qCXWPh-psNiHr-q87tCP-qpnXVB-pN2HzQ

modelldoc

• 5 months later...

Something to bear in mind maybe...

You'll probably, with a little patience and luck, get the Dragon or Revell boxings on Ebay for a decent price (£15-£20). Dragon decals likely to be sub-optimal by now. Revell boxing decals likely to be better bet (also photo etch replaced by plastic - I recall). The Hobby 2000 boxing is, in my view, a bit over-priced, but you'd get a decent (I assume) set of useable decals.

I reckon the Hobby 2000 kits will come down in price over the coming weeks/months.

Matt

• Like 1