Another USCG HH-3F Pelican (Revell 1/72 HH-3E Jolly Green Giant conversion)

Some intricate masking going on but it's starting to look the part. I'm tempted to add some helo's to the stash, the first kit I built when I restarted the hobby a couple of years ago was a Merlin. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Haven’t done much lately-  early fall is a great time to be outdoors in New England!

But I did get some time at the bench tonight….

I needed to paint the overhead canopy panels a transparent dark green.This is something I’ve never done before.  I googled the topic, and found one You-tube video, where the “Grumpy Modeler”  airbrushed thin coats of tamiya smoke and clear yellow on the inside of a canopy to get a nice tinting effect….

It’s a shame I didn’t see video that before the model was assembled.   I now have a fuselage that is assembled, primed and painted, with the canopy solidly glued in place.   The canopy is masked in the usual way, with all the panels covered in Tamiya tape.   Now I had to figure out the best way to tint  those two panels!   

I decided the best option is to finish painting the trim colors around the canopy while all the panels are still masked, then remove it all and mask the frames around the panels and paint them with a couple of coats of thinned tamiya clear green, to build up a dark green effect.   Once that is dry, I hope to then brush a coat of future over the green……..

• Like 2

Here’s what it looks like after a couple coats of clear green.   It looks a little grainy, but I’m hoping a coat of future will smooth that out and make it more “cockpit-window-like”….

If I ever do another one, I will be sure to apply the clear green to the inside surface!

spacer.png

• Like 5

Making progress, a little at a time. Painting the nose has been rather tedious, but I think it is finally finished!   (Really hoping the white frames around the windshield come out OK!)

spacer.png

Next up:  masking and painting the oddly-shaped black area around the engine exhausts.   I’ll have to make a left- and right-handed mask. Looking at photos, I see a lot of variations in the shape. Some have square corners, while others are rounder..

spacer.png

USCG photo

• Like 6

I used my Cameo4 cutter to make matching masks for the right and left sides.  One thing I noticed is that there were several variations in the shape of the black area, so I went with one that seemed typical…

spacer.png

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

I was already planning on doing the model as “1484”  the aircraft flown in the rescue of the crew of the scalloper “Terry T” off Cape Cod in 1980:

https://cgaviationhistory.org/sar/the-rescue-of-the-crew-of-the-scalloper-terry-t/

When I dug out my decals last night, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the Target  Decals sheet has markings for “1484”.  The only thing missing is that the sheet has the wrong AIRSTA- “Sacramento” vs. “Cape Cod”.   (I have an old Microscale USCG sheet that has all the Air Stations on it, so I’m good.)

1 hour ago, RC Boater Bill said:

I was already planning on doing the model as “1484”  the aircraft flown in the rescue of the crew of the scalloper “Terry T” off Cape Cod in 1980:

https://cgaviationhistory.org/sar/the-rescue-of-the-crew-of-the-scalloper-terry-t/

When I dug out my decals last night, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the Target  Decals sheet has markings for “1484”.  The only thing missing is that the sheet has the wrong AIRSTA- “Sacramento” vs. “Cape Cod”.   (I have an old Microscale USCG sheet that has all the Air Stations on it, so I’m good.)

Looking at that sheet online I saw some of the SH-60’s are Yellow/Black schemes which I know the USCG wore in the late 1940’s and 50’s. I wonder are those throwback paint schemes or is the USCG going away from the white/International orange ? Does the sheet give a better answer, the script was blurry on the photo’s I could find. 

• Like 1

On 11/1/2022 at 10:28 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Looking at that sheet online I saw some of the SH-60’s are Yellow/Black schemes which I know the USCG wore in the late 1940’s and 50’s. I wonder are those throwback paint schemes or is the USCG going away from the white/International orange ? Does the sheet give a better answer, the script was blurry on the photo’s I could find. 

The USCG Aviation Centennial was in 2016.  A total of 16 aircraft were painted in special “retro” schemes:

( The current “racing stripe” slash was introduced in 1967.)

- HC-130H Hercules in  late ‘50s- early ‘60s white and orange.

- MH-60J Jayhawk in 1950s yellow.

- HH-65 Dolphin in the scheme they wore in the early 80s, before all small helos were painted in the current red-orange.

- HC-144 Ocean Sentry in the 1930s yellow wings scheme.  (I’d love to do this one, but I don’t think it is kitted.)

i-WmFjvcX-S.jpg

i-TZZxLrK-M.jpg

i-tftHctm-M.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the GB ends today, and I’m not quite finished yet. 🙁 

The model has been decalled, but I’m still in the “lather-rinse-repeat” cycle of applying ever-stronger setting solutions to get some of the markings to snuggle down over the big rivets.  Until that’s done, I can’t apply the final clear coat and remove the canopy masks.

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...